Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Covina isn't a place for a young family (at least I don't think so and we bought our first home ther many years ago)
Covina Hills and the surrounding area is very nice (but expensive). Still, too long a commute, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 AM

152 posts, read 211,723 times
Quote:
What's your ethnicity? In El A, that's a factor as far as neighborhoods being a good fit or not for people.
Quote:
There is no overt racism in El A but sadly it does exist. Here's a rundown by area:

Temple City is Hispanic and foreign born Chinese but Chinese pushing the Hispanics out at a high rate. You might feel like you are not living in America there.
Arcadia is wealthy foreign born Chinese with superior public schools. Nice looking town with beautiful homes but there are just a lot of Chinese there.
Glendale is heavily Armenian except for the hillsides. I don't think its a good fit for anyone unless they are Armenian.
Monrovia I'm not too familiar
Glendora is white middle class and a good area IMO with good public schools. Its also commutable to Pasadena but I don't know what race relations are like there.

Covina I would stay away from although there are pockets that are OK. Hispanic, lower class whites and Philipinos
Duarte not too familiar with. Seems heavily Hispanic.
Pasadena is the most cosmopolitan city in the SGV but segregated by income and to a certain extent race i.e. the NW quadrant is considered the "black area". The problem with Pasadena is the public schools but that is due to a historical race issue there. Basically white flight to private schools.
Consider South Pasadena which has good public schools. The race mixture is White and Asian with Asians taking over.
Also take a look at Altadena and LaCanada (White and Korean merchant class). Altadena also had some historical segregation but has wealthy black areas.

This is an honest frank rundown of the areas that most people who are overly PC will be afraid to post.
Quote:
BTW I'm a native Angeleno. Know the area well and have lots of contacts in various fields of commerce all over. I get my information directly or via my network. No one is painting anything with a broad brush stroke. But for purposes of sharing data points its not necessary to drill down by zip code and block.
I can't take it anymore (lurker here). WHY does this troll, er, person continually get to spread this nonsense about one of the largest cities in the world - with a huge number of transplants relying on sites like this for info - frightening people who don't know any better? Please, new posters, look at this person's history and read between the lines. While it's good to know some general information about various neighborhoods in a sprawl like LA, he's one of these people setting America back another hundred years: "Make sure you live among only your 'own kind' - even if you live in a city with 100,000 people - live only with people your same age, live only with people who have children your age and who vote just like you do."

If that's the way you really want to live, new posters, LA is likely not the place for you.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASensiblePerson View Post
I can't take it anymore (lurker here). WHY does this troll, er, person continually get to spread this nonsense about one of the largest cities in the world - with a huge number of transplants relying on sites like this for info - frightening people who don't know any better? Please, new posters, look at this person's history and read between the lines. While it's good to know some general information about various neighborhoods in a sprawl like LA, he's one of these people setting America back another hundred years: "Make sure you live among only your 'own kind' - even if you live in a city with 100,000 people - live only with people your same age, live only with people who have children your age and who vote just like you do."

If that's the way you really want to live, new posters, LA is likely not the place for you.
You are allowed to have your own opinion. I post mine based on the information I have. If you want to dispute the information I posted then do so. However, unsubstantiated personal attacks are not welcomed.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

152 posts, read 211,723 times
There's nothing unsubstantiated about what I wrote. Look at your posting history since you registered Sept. 2014. I had to do that because when I started reading here your answers were generally so-off-the-wall I had to make sure they were coming from just one person, not the majority.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Don't trust anybody who can't even spell "LA."

Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASensiblePerson View Post
There's nothing unsubstantiated about what I wrote. Look at your posting history since you registered Sept. 2014. I had to do that because when I started reading here your answers were generally so-off-the-wall I had to make sure they were coming from just one person, not the majority.

This board relies on aggregate reputational capital not personal opinion of one single person. Clearly some of the views I express are not voiced by others although they may concur. One is not better than the other. However, personal attacks are uncalled for. I discount anything you post as you are solely here to attack people.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
This board relies on aggregate reputational capital not personal opinion of one single person.
And yours amounts to 0.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
And yours amounts to 0.
Frankly you have some serious issues as some kind of freak stalker.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
And you have issues as some kind of racist bigot.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
And you have issues as some kind of racist bigot.
Checks your posts. Pot calling the kettle black. What a joke. BTW do you have something else to do today besides focus on peoples posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles