Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:20 PM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times

Advertisements

I know, I know... Another "which neighborhood is right for me?" topic. Hope you'll be nice. I'm moving to LA next month and could use some help with deciding which neighborhood fits me.
  • I'm 29-years old.
  • I'm not sure where I'll be working starting out yet, but I do work in film so it'll probably change depending on where we're shooting every few months or so, so being "centrally located" is good. Probably would be good for me to be located near one or more of the freeways.
  • I am single so somewhere that has a decent young singles crowd would be good... but I'm not much of a party girl. Relaxed bars and good restaurants are more my scene than see-and-be-seen clubs/lounges.
  • Walkable neighborhood. Would be ideal if I could walk to a grocery store, park, and some restaurants/bars.
  • I'm very health-conscious and love indoor cycling, running outdoors and yoga. I also love hiking! Anything outdoors.
  • Houses are more appealing to me than high-rise apartments.
  • My budget is $900/month but I plan on sharing with roommates.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 02:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Burbank... it doesn't fit all your requirements 100%, but it's close.

It does:
-Close to film/TV industry
-Near freeways
-NOt particularly centrally located, but again close to film/TV industry, and Hollywood
-Lots of relaxed bars and restaurants, not really a sceney place but you can get that in nearby Hollywood or Studio City
-There are outdoor activities, and lots more nearby though it gets extra hot there
-It's safe
-Lots of houses
-Not the most walkable at all but you can't have everything
-MOST IMPORTANT: Friendly to your budget. You may even get a studio thre for close to 900, but you can easily share a nice large two bedroom if you split with someone.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Burbank... it doesn't fit all your requirements 100%, but it's close.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to be somewhere that is walkable though... Does it exist?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Maybe Hollywood itself, but you would likely have to stretch that budget, or living condition. I.e., sharing a one bedroom.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Maybe Hollywood itself, but you would likely have to stretch that budget, or living condition. I.e., sharing a one bedroom.
There are plenty of 2 BR in Hollywood for 1800 or so. It's not going to be a luxury building or anything but I don't think she needs to share a 1 BR to live in Hollywood on that budget.

There are also areas of Burbank that are pretty walkable, such as the downtown area near the 5 Freeway. It's not DTLA, Pasadena or Hollywood levels of walkable, but if in the right location groceries, gym, etc can all be walkable.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There are plenty of 2 BR in Hollywood for 1800 or so. It's not going to be a luxury building or anything but I don't think she needs to share a 1 BR to live in Hollywood on that budget.

There are also areas of Burbank that are pretty walkable, such as the downtown area near the 5 Freeway. It's not DTLA, Pasadena or Hollywood levels of walkable, but if in the right location groceries, gym, etc can all be walkable.
Well yeah, not the hottest parts of Hollywood though. Like near Runyon and right by Hollywood/Highland. That budget would get A little more central or east...something older maybe by Gower, or Western. Those also aren't the safest areas. Safer in Burbank.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
While some parts of Burbank are more walkable than others, even if you need to drive it would be a short drive as most things you'd need wouldn't be far. And the traffic is light and parking is easy - so short easy drives are a big plus. I've lived in Burbank for 2 years and that's one of the great things about it. Also close to the back side of Griffith Park and several hiking areas/parks in the Verdugo Mtns.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Well yeah, not the hottest parts of Hollywood though. Like near Runyon and right by Hollywood/Highland. That budget would get A little more central or east...something older maybe by Gower, or Western. Those also aren't the safest areas. Safer in Burbank.
I think there would even be options between Highland and Vine too, at least there were last year when I was looking in the area. You are right that the price range is too low for the Runyon area, easily the safest and quietest part of Hollywood.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think there would even be options between Highland and Vine too, at least there were last year when I was looking in the area. You are right that the price range is too low for the Runyon area, easily the safest and quietest part of Hollywood.
Yeah the lower part of Hollywood. South of Fountain. Also arguably one of the sketchiest parts.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,064 times
Here is a shared house in Echo Park for $750 per month:

Looking for female roommate shared living

Welcome to Rampart house - Home

Can't comment on the house or the exact part of echo park it is located in....did not see an actual address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles