Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 AM

60 posts, read 81,886 times

Advertisements

Hello -

Seems our family will be moving to Los Angeles, from New Jersey this summer, probably July-ish. My husband's office will be in West Hollywood near Pacific Design Center.

The problem is: I still stay at home (one more year) So one income. We have two small kids ages 3.5 and 5.5 (girl and boy). So SCHOOL particularly elementary school is a priority. My son will be entering First Grade in the Fall, Daughter preschool.

Need to find an area with a good commute to West Hollywood. Safe, good schools prefer PUBLIC.

If we were to buy now, all we can afford is 550K. Which my research shows is not a great budget for Los Angeles. So, it is MOST smart for us to rent for a while, get a sense of the area. Wait until we have the 2 salary thing worked out again. Hopefully some day we can shake it up to 650K which is a little better but still on the low end per my research.

Our rental budget would ideally be under $2800. Challenging.

We lived in LA once before kids for 3 years. We lived in West LA in a one bedroom - had a blast. But life with kids is totally different and priorities are different.

I am thinking to try and find a rental in Studio City, CA. Some elementary schools seems good. If I am super lucky MAYBE we can find a detached home, but also trying to consider a big apartment if it's nice.

We currently live in Summit, NJ in a modest 3 bedroom which we own. No way we could buy a place for the price we paid for this one...

But despite the fear we are excited to be back in Southern California. There is so much to do compared to New Jersey which we find a bit boring.

Any and ALL help is SOOOO appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 11:19 AM

490 posts, read 660,501 times
You can find an apartment in Beverly Hills for that much, great schools and a super short commute.
I think it'll be pretty hard to find a single family home with good schools anywhere near Weho with that budget.
Some of the LAUSD elementary schools are good but they vary and you'd have to check each one
you can use GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to check
Maybe Culver city, the schools are okay (better than LAUSD) but the commute isn't the best.
I'd go with Beverly Hills.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:49 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
I don't know about a 3 bedroom for 2800 or under i n Beverly Hills. Can you live in a two bedroom ?

Maybe Culver city and the commute into Weho isnt too terrible.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
What about that area around Wilshire and LaCienega? I'm not sure what it's called exactly but there are a lot of big older (think Paris style) apartments in that area.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
That exact intersection is still Beverly Hills but its adjacent to Beverly Grove and Carthay

Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 PM

Default What might be wrong with Studio city?

Thank you so much for your replies, no thoughts on Studio City? I have seen some decent looking large apartment complexes with 3 bedrooms around $2700.
Beverly Hills area doesn't appeal to me too much, it just seems kind of tacky. I'd rather be in the "family friendly" valley but not so far in that the commute would be horrible.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:51 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
I like Studio City. It's a good area and still pretty affordable without being so far away from more metropolitan areas. I have friends who live and work in Studio City and they love it.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:38 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
The commute from the Valley to WEHO is not a good one. You'd have to take the 101 or Laurel Canyon and both would be very slow going at rush hour. Then you'd have to go west on Sunset, Santa Monica, or Melrose and that, too, would be slow. How much time is your husband willing to spend sitting in his car?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grid77 View Post
Thank you so much for your replies, no thoughts on Studio City? I have seen some decent looking large apartment complexes with 3 bedrooms around $2700.
Beverly Hills area doesn't appeal to me too much, it just seems kind of tacky. I'd rather be in the "family friendly" valley but not so far in that the commute would be horrible.
that's a really good price for a 3br in studio city, just make sure you're zoned to an acceptable elementary school at that location.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Default commute time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
The commute from the Valley to WEHO is not a good one. You'd have to take the 101 or Laurel Canyon and both would be very slow going at rush hour. Then you'd have to go west on Sunset, Santa Monica, or Melrose and that, too, would be slow. How much time is your husband willing to spend sitting in his car?
Well ideally 45 minutes for a commute seems okay. In New Jersey he walked to train, had a 45 minute train ride and then walked again to office in Chelsea. Door to Door 1 hour 10.

I googled pacific design center area to some apartment we found which was below the 101, it said 10 miles 25 minutes. I am sure I googled it at an off traffic hour. Someone in his office said, oh I used to live in Laurel Canyon, they have one of the BEST public elementary schools. I am not sure if maybe she has a rich husband because that area seemed wildly expensive! Sadly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles