Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times

Advertisements

yes, most of the popular restaurants or stores inland have a location in santa monica. even if it isn't the exact same thing, it's often a version of it.

3rd st promenade has rebounded because of tourists. locals don't really bother with it, but tourists to LA have at least two MUST SEE places: hollywood/highland/vine and 3rd st promenade/pier. the grove and beverly hills are next on the list.

in any case, I think we've proven that santa monica isn't a sleepy town anymore. it's nearly as active as anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah definitely true about the tourists...I suppose I would check out the same places if I were a tourist too.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:31 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I just decided that I don't want *******s like you living within 25 miles of me, so maybe you should move closer to palm springs.
What's your problem? Do you not like the fact that I'm opposed to the entitlement mentality that punishes those of us who have more to offer than others? And if you don't like living in the same neighborhood as do I, have you considered moving to a place more acclimated to your politics, such as Beijing?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah definitely true about the tourists...I suppose I would check out the same places if I were a tourist too.
Even if you are a LA local, you are obligated to take your girlfriend/wife to the 3rd St Promenade at least once. It's a requirement.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Even if you are a LA local, you are supposed to take your date to the 3rd St Promenade at least once. It's like a requirement.
That is where I took my soon to be wife actually on our first date.

Was sorry to hear that Monsoon Cafe was going to be closing ..that's where we had dinner.
Monsoon Cafe Gets Swept Away on Third Street Promenade, Giving Way To New Concept - Eater LA

It lasted a long time though especially by L.A standards.

Unfortunately last time I was in the Santa Monica /Pier area we were approached randomly by a crazy aggressive homeless guy that started charging towards me, it was actually pretty scary...sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Santa Monica area. You don't see as much of that being tolerated in other beach cities or even too many other parts of the L.A area.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Even if you are a LA local, you are obligated to take your girlfriend/wife to the 3rd St Promenade at least once. It's a requirement.
she's probably already been!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What's your problem? Do you not like the fact that I'm opposed to the entitlement mentality that punishes those of us who have more to offer than others? And if you don't like living in the same neighborhood as do I, have you considered moving to a place more acclimated to your politics, such as Beijing?
you obviously didn't pick up on the joking nature of my message. the point i was trying to make was that of: "who are you to decide where people should and shouldn't live?" you shouldn't fault people for trying to exploit legal, cheap rent. maybe rent control artificially increases rent for the remaining population, but no one is being forced to live in santa monica to make up the difference. on the contrary, it is quite clear that people are still willing to pay inflated market rates to live there. if you think you have more to offer than the elderly population of santa monica and find it unfair that they receive cheaper housing, you can always act with your wallet and avoid spending money in that city (whether through rent, shopping or dining). you may already do this. if so, why do you care who lives in that city?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 PM

I'm not a fan of rent control in general, but I don't think they should have it in Santa Monica or anywhere else.
The most expensive places in America seem to be the ones with the strongest rent control laws ; SF,NYC and L.A are pretty much at the top.

It should be across the board though if you are getting rid of rent control. Doesn't seem fair to say, "If you're 75 (or whatever age) you gotta leave"

Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not sure what you mean by entitlement mentality. I dont know how paying your rent/mortgage is being entitled. Certainly you are not comparing them to people living on welfare and doing nothing to get a job?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Doesn't seem fair to say, "If you're 75 (or whatever age) you gotta leave"
I'm not saying that people need to report to carousel if their crystal is blinking. I'm simply saying there's something fundamentally wrong with rent control if you've got people in 2015 paying rent like it's still 1985. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it correct that there's not a proportional adjustment for inflation under SM rent control?

And BTW, to those of you concerned with saving the environment, do you not think there's something fundamentally wrong if people who work in SM need to live 30 miles away or more because they cannot afford to live in SM? Something to think about the next time at rush hour you're in gridlock on SM, Olympic, or Wilshire Blvd. because there are ten thousand people simultaneously trying to get to the 405.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles