Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 PM

327 posts, read 881,995 times

Advertisements

Do you miss the easy access to NYC and the pace? Does LA lose its sunny charm after the first year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
I'm not from NJ, but I have a lot of friends, family, and family friends from NYC and North NJ. I was born and raised in LA with a mom from NY. They all moved for the weather. They can't STAND snow. They do miss the ease of public transit and stuff like that, but then the summer humidity starts and the winter blizzards come and they're again happy to be in LA. They seem to form their own little communities in the historically older and denser parts of LA where they feel most at home like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. I know my mom, for one, would move back to NYC in a heart beat if she didn't have to put up with below freezing temperatures for months at a time. She can't stand anything below 60. She loves the walkability, the food, the attitudes, the public transit, etc. So instead, she's found her own community of New Yorkers for at least the attitude/personality aspect. The rest is hard to fix.

Not sure if my mom's story applies to everyone, but I get the vibe that most of them don't LOVE living in LA, they just do so because dealing with LA is better than dealing with a NYC winter or summer or a Miami summer.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Not sure if my mom's story applies to everyone, but I get the vibe that most of them don't LOVE living in LA, they just do so because dealing with LA is better than dealing with a NYC winter or summer or a Miami summer.
That's just depessing.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,064 times
new jersey sucks. sorry that is the truth

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
I was born in northern NJ and I would never live there again. It's not just the weather. That's just part of it. I don't like the way it's laid out. The hassle of getting in and out of NYC. The people, at least my relatives think normal folks live in NJ and the crazies live everywhere else. I love living in LA.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 AM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Care to elaborate? NJ has nearly everything that SoCal has plus good public schools where intelligent students can actually succeed and learn. Also quick access to the largest city in the US is a definite benefit - to answer the OPs question. LA feels a little sleepy to me having experienced both. The weather and coastal scenery are great here and probably the saving grace of the area. Don't discount the fall foliage and cherry blossoms in NJ during Spring and Fall and the thick forests. That is scenery too.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I was kidding around with this quote. The Garden State has some nice towns including Hoboken, Princeton and Cape May to name a few. But I prefer Los Angeles.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Care to elaborate? NJ has nearly everything that SoCal .
Sorry, this is simply not true...

Last edited by StreetLegal; 04-12-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-12-2015, 12:03 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
I grew up in Northern NJ and I can safely say that aside a few times of the year (summer) LA has the advantage over NJ. I only REALLY miss it during the summer and that's about it. This is the only time of the year where NJ people are actually in good spirits.

The attitudes of NJ I particularly don't miss -- a blend of being neurotic and paranoia. Plus everyone is in a rush for no reason.

Quote:
Care to elaborate? NJ has nearly everything that SoCal has plus good public schools where intelligent students can actually succeed and learn.
Yeah, good public schools where NJ residents are taxed up the butthole to pay for them. No thanks.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:07 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Care to elaborate? NJ has nearly everything that SoCal has plus good public schools where intelligent students can actually succeed and learn.
New Jersey has very little of what SoCal has. And every city has good school districts. There's nothing unique to Jersey about that. SoCal as a region has a dozen or more very good public school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles