Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,947 times

Advertisements

In the thread about the Super Bowl coming to Giants Stadium - um, I mean "new meadowlands stadium" (which by 2014 will probably be Johnson & Johnson Stadium or Merck Stadium or something stupid - I hope United/Continental get it, if anyone - I'll still be calling it Giants Stadium anyway, lol) - the old NY vs. NJ "thing" resurfaced.

What do you think? Are New Jerseyans out of line because we really owe a lot of our success to NYC? Or are NYers out of line because so much of what they have they owe to NJ? Both? Neither?

My opinion is that no matter how much anyone on either side wants to keep NYC separate from NJ (Northern NJ, at least), the fact is we are intertwined and interdependent. Due to archaic state borders that don't match up with socio-economic realities of today we have a city whose metro area is largely in another state. We're hardly unique that way (e.g. St. Louis metro in IL, Boston metro in NH, RI, ME, etc.) but I think what's unique is the in-fighting in our metro over the difference in states.

To me, the reality in my life is that there are people on both sides who unrealistically alienate the other side, but MOST people I know on both sides understand the relationship and it's not a big deal. My friends in NYC don't consider Jersey to be bad or awful, and most of my friends in NJ love NYC and consider it their home city, even rooting for the Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, etc.

But I think that NYC, being the more prominent voice, does have a responsibility to be more even-handed regarding their relationship with NJ than they usually are. It's always been this way. They joke about NJ, and on a certain level it's OK with me, kind of like a sibling rivalry where one sibling mocks the other but it's not rooted in hate; but it spreads to others and that's what pisses me off. The worst is when some rube from Iowa or somewhere calls NJ'ans "bridge and tunnel" and looks down his hayseed nose at us because he's been living in Brooklyn Hipster-ville for 3 months as an "artist"/dogwalker (heavy on the dogwalker). It spreads through media like movies and TV. Yet, they are quick to tout the strength of the metro area like "their" port (in NJ) or "their" football teams (as another poster pointed out in the other thread).

So, while I think the animosity is way out of hand with some on both sides, I think most on both sides recognize the relationship and reality of the situation between NYC and NNJ.

But it also seems clear that NJ'ans have no problem singing the praises of NYC and recognizing NYC's role in our lives while NY'ers seem to more generally and deliberately knock NJ only until they need us, and then they include us, grudgingly.

I think NYers and NJans need to have a friendlier alliance (to take 66nexus' words from another post of his) and I think the NYers have a longer way to go in becoming more friendly in this partnership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
The truth of the matter is NY will always behave like NY. Always. Period & end of story.
It's not that hard to understand.
Belaboring the point & continually discussing it just makes you look like you are longing for acceptance.
I only respond to the misinformation & falsehoods that spew from the lips of many of our neighbors across the river in regard to NJ & try to enlighten the uninformed.
I could care less if NY likes New Jersey & so should you.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
It is a very symbiotic relationship. New York is able to function in large part because of the brain power theat NJ provides. Meaning NJ is one of the best educated states in the country and that brain power is put to work in NYC. NYC provides the place to put that brain power to work. The vast majority of those PSLs are paid with money earned in NYC.

I do think New Jerseyians have an inferiority complex and are much more sensitive to what New Yorkers think of us. I don't think you would ever see a thread on the NY board like this. They really don't think about us at all.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
NY and NNJ are frenemies...

Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Its all in peoples heads.

In the end we're all Americans...at least the ones of us that are legally here :P

Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is a very symbiotic relationship. New York is able to function in large part because of the brain power theat NJ provides. Meaning NJ is one of the best educated states in the country and that brain power is put to work in NYC. NYC provides the place to put that brain power to work. The vast majority of those PSLs are paid with money earned in NYC.

I do think New Jerseyians have an inferiority complex and are much more sensitive to what New Yorkers think of us. I don't think you would ever see a thread on the NY board like this. They really don't think about us at all.
oh yeah, they do. rush hour everyday when a sea of yellow tags block 9th Ave to get into the Lincoln Tunnel.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,176 times
I think NJ/NYC are friends with enemy characteristics. As I've said before (and BCJ seems to agree) I simply wish the NY one metro line of thought was more 24/7...you know...and not just when a Superbowl comes our way.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Idk, it's only with certain of people. Before I joined this site I never knew there was a beef between NNJ & SNY.

If you don't like NJ stay out, if you don't like NY stay out, keep it pushing.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,568 times
I am about to relocate to a small town in Bergen County from the city (a native New Yorker) and what I like about NNJ is how quiet it is while being situated so close to the City. So rather than comparing the two, I like the contrast and how different NNJ is to the city. I have also noticed that many people living in the area, especially older people, have a New York accent. Some of these people said they relocated from the Bronx 45 years ago, another guy said he was from Bayonne, which I am guessing has lots of Staten Island transplants because he sounded like he was from BK or SI. So I am liking hearing familiar accents, but I am loving how different it is in NNJ. Will my daughter be considered Bridge and Tunnel when she grows up? Who cares, she will have a cleaner life in NNJ and she will not be a tough city girl and so will be better off..

Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 AM

532 posts, read 1,465,547 times
It's funny to see how out of touch NY people are with nature.
They're not even able to recognize certain animals.

Also ever see a NY person when they have a car problem?

They don't know where to begin.

Obviously I'm not a big NYC fan, do visit occasionally but that's it.

Man made items can never approach natures beauty .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey