Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM

362 posts, read 544,000 times

Advertisements

I recently heard that the state of Utah is giving housing to the homeless. What does everyone think about this approach?

Utah is Ending Homelessness by Giving People Homes | NationofChange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:25 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
You sound like a selfish and spoiled brat.
That's not a stretch.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
So the homeless get a brand new house on my money, for them to destroy while I live in a old house. Great work Democrats.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
just take all of those people and ship them to a remote island broseph.
Well, aren't you just a peach? #not

Old 06-05-2015, 10:06 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So the homeless get a brand new house on my money, for them to destroy while I live in a old house. Great work Democrats.
I'm sure they would be willing to swap places with you if you ask nicely.

Also since when are Democrats in charge of Utah? Sounds like a Republican initiative to me. Great work Mormons. Goes to show you not all Christians are hypocrites.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:02 AM

362 posts, read 544,000 times
At first, I wasn't sure if I was in favor of the Utah plan, but from a mathematical standpoint it seems to work, and it does have an eight year track record of a 78% reduction in homelessness. The hand-out aspect of it still irks me, but it's difficult to argue with the numbers, and it is getting people off the streets when nothing else seems to have worked.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM

399 posts, read 407,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I'm sure they would be willing to swap places with you if you ask nicely.

Also since when are Democrats in charge of Utah? Sounds like a Republican initiative to me. Great work Mormons. Goes to show you not all Christians are hypocrites.
Drop the BS. Whether it's a new apartment gifted to them by the state or an old house gifted by some guy on an internet message board is irrelevant. They haven't earned the right to be gifted either one. Making s**t decisions in life shouldn't be rewarded. The only people who support that are those who make s**t decisions themselves.

I'm not a druggie. Never tried weed in my life, much less anything harder. Why? Because I'm not stupid. Now you functional druggies want to take my money to reward your non-functional druggie brethren on the streets. Screw that.

If I'm going to build places for people to live it's going to be for innocent people who need a helping hand, like poor children or the handicapped. THAT'S who social services money should be going towards, not loser druggies who threw their lives away for a cheap high.

You call Christians hypocrites. Going to the shelter twice a year to donate an hour of your time shoveling slop on a plate for them to eat might make you feel like you're Mother Teresa, but that ain't sacrificing s**t. I'd love to know how many homeless junkies you've fed, clothed, and housed in YOUR home on YOUR dime. My guess is somewhere in the 0 to 0 range. Hypocrite.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Drop the BS. Whether it's a new apartment gifted to them by the state or an old house gifted by some guy on an internet message board is irrelevant. They haven't earned the right to be gifted either one. Making s**t decisions in life shouldn't be rewarded. The only people who support that are those who make s**t decisions themselves.

I'm not a druggie. Never tried weed in my life, much less anything harder. Why? Because I'm not stupid. Now you functional druggies want to take my money to reward your non-functional druggie brethren on the streets. Screw that.

If I'm going to build places for people to live it's going to be for innocent people who need a helping hand, like poor children or the handicapped. THAT'S who social services money should be going towards, not loser druggies who threw their lives away for a cheap high.

You call Christians hypocrites. Going to the shelter twice a year to donate an hour of your time shoveling slop on a plate for them to eat might make you feel like you're Mother Teresa, but that ain't sacrificing s**t. I'd love to know how many homeless junkies you've fed, clothed, and housed in YOUR home on YOUR dime. My guess is somewhere in the 0 to 0 range. Hypocrite.
I take it neither reading comprehension nor logical reasoning are your strong suits.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 PM

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
At first, I wasn't sure if I was in favor of the Utah plan, but from a mathematical standpoint it seems to work, and it does have an eight year track record of a 78% reduction in homelessness. The hand-out aspect of it still irks me, but it's difficult to argue with the numbers, and it is getting people off the streets when nothing else seems to have worked.
It's hard to argue with its success. Is it possible that a similar initiative won't work in LA? Absolutely.

I just love the irony when dumb people are calling all these hand outs a Democrat agenda when the Utah initiative is done by Republicans.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM

399 posts, read 407,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
U

It's hard to argue with its success. Is it possible that a similar initiative won't work in LA? Absolutely.

I just love the irony when dumb people are calling all these hand outs a Democrat agenda when the Utah initiative is done by Republicans.
LOL. Talking about the irony of dumb people when you yourself can't understand the difference between Utah and LA.

Utah has a huge issue with young men being cast out of Mormon communities. These are teenagers who are being tossed out on the street for no reason other than being a threat to polygamists or questioning the faith.

The reason Utahans voted to house them and the reason the program has been somewhat successful IS because these "homeless" are Utah's native sons, who are homeless for reasons much different than your typical homeless.

Try comprehending that before you cast stones at people.

To compare Utahans providing a little housing for their outcast native sons to Californians burning money from an already decimated budget to house the druggie riff-raff overflowing our borders from all over the country is pure ignorance. Look up "context" and figure out what it means. It'll help you not look so foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles