Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 05:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
100k is basically entry level salary for a professional dual income couple. Why would one expect to have servants and hired help with those figures?
I never would expect, nor expected to hire help. I just said that LA would be much less easier and less hectic if you had help, hence which is why all the rich people do. Like I said, LA is PARADISE ON EARTH if you are wealthy. I'd move to BH and be one of those that never, ever leaves it if I won the lottery.

Quote:
I would say you need at least 250k a year to do a true upper middle class lifestyle in LA. Private schools, 1M+ SFR, late model import cars, that type of thing.
Agreed, but that's still not even remotely enough for a decent house in a decent area assuming you have a family, private schools, and nice cars, etc.

Last edited by Mister 7; 12-25-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I wonder if your QOL would have improved much if you threw more money into your housing budget, but I do understand that no amount of money will give you that lake life.
It was a nice apartment for $2k. But yes, you're right.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:15 PM

548 posts, read 473,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
I never would expect, nor expected to hire help. I just said that LA would be much less easier and less hectic if you had help, hence which is why all the rich people do. Like I said, LA is PARADISE ON EARTH if you are wealthy. I'd move to BH and be one of those that never, ever leaves it if I won the lottery.

Agreed, but that's still not even remotely enough for a decent house in a decent area assuming you have a family, private schools, and nice cars, etc.
It depends on which private schools but you could do it if that's a priority. Harvard Westlake and other non religious ones no. Loyola or other Catholics you could.

Other option is just buy in south pas or LA Crescenta. Definitely doable on 250k a year.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
It depends on which private schools but you could do it if that's a priority. Harvard Westlake and other non religious ones no. Loyola or other Catholics you could.
Yikes....4 years will set you back nearly 80K per child (and that doesn't include books and uniforms). It really IS just getting too expensive in L.A.
Loyola High School - Admission to Loyola - Tuition and*Fees

Old 12-26-2015, 08:41 AM

548 posts, read 473,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yikes....4 years will set you back nearly 80K per child (and that doesn't include books and uniforms). It really IS just getting too expensive in L.A.
Loyola High School - Admission to Loyola - Tuition and*Fees
Yeah that's a bit higher than I expected. I thought it would be closer to to 15k like St Francis and La salle.

Harvard Westlake is 35k.
FAQ

Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
I never said that. Can you read? I said it's crazy how NOT FAR six figures goes there. We afforded it fine, but it was just absolutely impossible to ignore how much further your money goes elsewhere. Hence the house we are about to buy, etc. etc.
Or maybe you were just foolish and couldn't live within a budget.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Whoa, easy there, killer. I simply asked if you could read because you, as well as others, clearly aren't reading and/or understanding what I'm saying, (and have said repeatedly) which is not that we couldn't afford it, but rather WE FELT AS IF WE WERE WASTING OUR MONEY FOR A QUALITY OF LIFE WHICH JUST WASN'T THAT GREAT. What part of this do you not understand?? I didn't even work in LA, by choice. Nor do I need to, as I have my own $. I don't know how you guys are spinning what I just said into "You couldn't afford it," probably just trying to twist my words, which is common for all the fanboys on here.

No, I didn't. Again, I said that (please read this carefully and closely) WE FELT AS IF WE WERE WASTING OUR MONEY FOR A QUALITY OF LIFE WHICH JUST WASN'T THAT GREAT. I'd rather OWN a home like this700 Baldwin Station Ln, Knoxville, TN 37922 | Zillow and have two $50,000 cars in the garage, with a new boat docked literally 5-10 minutes away at the marina (look at the map; the lake's right there), while still having enough money to retire comfortably and spend without really thinking about it. This is the lifestyle that six figures buys you here. I'll definitely take that over a just average life in West Hollywood and throwing away money on rent for an apartment that I'll NEVER be able to own, let alone a house there (or anywhere near it). The est. mortgage on that house above is a whopping $1,007/mo (and would be less for us because we have way more than 20% saved for a down payment). Are you still not understanding why we left? Read it again. We knew it wouldn't be permanent, but we did leave a few years early. Not for money reasons but more that we just weren't happy there, and much prefer our life here. NOBODY can tell me I don't have a right to come live in LA for a few years and decide I didn't really like it.

So basically you couldn't afford it. The thing is affording that in LA is possible. But if you really want to make a lot of money and move up in your career, you won't have time to spend boating. You'll be working very hard either moving up the corporate ladder, building your business, and making a name in a field. It may even require an advanced degree. Or a lot of talent plus work.

A certain number of people will watch lifestyles of the rich and famous and dream of being fabulous, but being in LA (or NYC or London) will check your big time on that. It's going to take serious work to cut it out in those cities and you will have to start somewhere and work with what you can realistically get at the time. But reality bites hard when you're trying to be all grand and fabulous.

Don't get me wrong for people who genuinely have the money either through their work or an inheritance, you have what you have and it's yours. But the problem in your case is you're a pretender/fake/delusional. You don't have.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:32 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
I guess you can thank the influx of yuppies and the greed of politicians for making it impossible for the average person to live in LA or California in general.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But the problem in your case is you're a pretender/fake/delusional. You don't have.
Mmmmkay. I'm wearing a $7,000 Rolex and drive a $70,000 Lexus LS. (Want pictures?) We have nearly $100,000 saved for a DP on a house. I don't even have to work, and didn't by choice in LA.

Apparently no one on here understands the concept of being fiscally conservative.

You, nor anyone else, knows Jack s h i t about what I have and don't have.

Next, please!

Old 12-26-2015, 03:26 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,480 times
OP should stop trying to hold down middle class jobs. California is geared towards the rich and the poors that serve them.

If the OP would quit his job and go work for Walmart or somewhere for real cheap then California will provide enough government assistance and housing for him to live here.

If you want that middle class lifestyle then move to AZ, ID, or TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles