Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times

Advertisements

Traffic during the 1984 games was a breeze, I was here. In fact, I loved the games. Now we have transit options that were unheard of then. And we have the infrastructure and then some. Bring it I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Traffic during the 1984 games was a breeze, I was here. In fact, I loved the games. Now we have transit options that were unheard of then. And we have the infrastructure and then some. Bring it I say.

I was here in '84 too, albeit as a kid. But I still remember. We may have not had the transit options then as now (who else remember RTD buses? Those were pretty rough. The Gold Line was still a Santa Fe railroad line carrying Amtrak and freight trains, etc.), but as another poster correctly pointed out: we didn't have anywhere near as many people here back then either. So it's almost a wash. And if anything still worse now. Traffic is STILL horrendous despite having all these transit options that didn't exist three decades ago.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
In 1984, a person could get on the 405 during rush hour and actually drive at the speed limit, so these people who claim that we could handle the Olympics again are not being timely in terms of traffic mitigation.

Sammy Hagar needs to cut a new single and call it, I Can't Drive 55 Because Southern California Is Too Crowded and There Are Too Many Cars on the Roads.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I was here too, and had to commute to work on the freeways. Traffic during the Olympics was indeed very light. Everybody made accommodations, shifted their work schedules, and worked together to make it work. It could be done again.

Now, if it is a good idea to host the Olympics again? I've stopped caring about the Olympics when the broadcast networks stopped showing heats and races that didn't have Americans in them. They used to show 'everything'. Now, just stuff with Americans and the finals, maybe. That's dumb! I want to watch good competition, and it does not necessarily have to involve Americans.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM

302 posts, read 453,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Sorry but the traffic complaints are just...c'mon guys, its 2-3 weeks tops. You can deal. We all can deal.

There are legitimate reasons to be opposed, but that isn't one of them IMHO.

I for one am excited b/c, like BR said, our plan revolves around existing structures - but our existing structures are far apart, so the plan is to improve public transit to those existing structures. It's development that could seriously benefit the entire city after the games, not just building empty arenas that will never get used again.
I agree with you. Other cities that have abandoned their stadiums never had real plans for those stadiums afterwards. LA could use the Olympics to help build the brand new NFL stadium in Inglewood which can host the Super Bowl, Final 4, Taylor Swift concerts, etc.. We can renovate existing stadiums. We can have a reason and funding to completely build out the public transit infrastructure. We'll also have streets re-done and the chance for a non-desirable area of LA County turn completely around.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Default Coverage

I agree about the coverage- it was terrible in London. With any luck we'll get to attend an event in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I was here to
o, and had to commute to work on the freeways. Traffic during the Olympics was indeed very light. Everybody made accommodations, shifted their work schedules, and worked together to make it work. It could be done again.

Now, if it is a good idea to host the Olympics again? I've stopped caring about the Olympics when the broadcast networks stopped showing heats and races that didn't have Americans in them. They used to show 'everything'. Now, just stuff with Americans and the finals, maybe. That's dumb! I want to watch good competition, and it does not necessarily have to involve Americans.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I was here too, and had to commute to work on the freeways. Traffic during the Olympics was indeed very light. Everybody made accommodations, shifted their work schedules, and worked together to make it work. It could be done again.
Yep and remember "Carmageddon"? Same thing.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Los Angeles has been chosen as the official U.S. bid for the 2024 Olympics.

USOC names Los Angeles the official U.S. bidder for the 2024 Summer Olympics - LA Times

Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
How likely is Los Angeles to get the 2024 Olympics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles