Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times

Advertisements

Can anyone chime in on why this summer has seemed more humid than normal? I know a strong el nino (that's spanish for The Nino) is developing but does that cause humidity in Southern California in the summer? Or is there something else at work here?

I heard we might even get rain and possibly a thunderstorm tomorrow which is usually limited to the desert areas in the summer but there's a chance LA could see it.

Is this going to last all summer? I like it, but in moderation!

And yes I know "this ain't nothing compared to Florida or the South, hardy har" but this is humid for LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,446,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And yes I know "this ain't nothing compared to Florida or the South, hardy har" but this is humid for LA.
Even in places in the South where it typically isn't this humid/hot, it has been. So I think the whole country is seeing the effect of this brutal summer.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,573,573 times
Yep, been brutal in the deep south. Way more rain than is usual, but spotty, so it isn't a widespread thing. Just in the spot I'm standing though, it's rained at least 11 of the past 12 days. And lots of it. Sometimes a quarter to a half inch at once. the know-it-all weather men around here beat their chest because we don't have a drought like the poor folks in CA, and that the rain showers "cool us down". Bull****e. When the sun comes back out, or even if it doesn't the steam and humidity is unbearable.

But my idiot family just thinks CA must be from the devil. They will crap a golden brick when I'm settling in with you folks in desert southwest.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,778,946 times
It's more humid, but--is it just me?--not so hot. Seems to me that typically by the end of July we've settled into the basic summer weather pattern of clear and hot, hot meaning 90+ or even 100 (I'm about 15 miles from the coast, so it can get very hot here). It's strange (but nice!) to be still waking up to marine layer and having temps that only go into the mid-80s at this time of year.

I've also heard that the humidity is due to El Nino. I don't know! I'm holding out hope for a wet fall/winter/spring though.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,439,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Can anyone chime in on why this summer has seemed more humid than normal? I know a strong el nino (that's spanish for The Nino) is developing but does that cause humidity in Southern California in the summer? Or is there something else at work here?

I heard we might even get rain and possibly a thunderstorm tomorrow which is usually limited to the desert areas in the summer but there's a chance LA could see it.

Is this going to last all summer? I like it, but in moderation!

As a completely separate thing from ENSO, the SW Monsoon is very strong this year. The Science is still not clear whether or not any correlation exists between SW Monsoon strength and ENSO.

Long term residents can opine, my own experience has been once every couple or three decades a monster SW Monsoon (or even series of them) occurs. I recall some dooseys during the 70s, when I was a kid.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 AM

4,495 posts, read 3,876,279 times
i have never been in SoCal and felt any humidity
i can't even imagine what that is like!
so what you are saying is that it's been humid and raining and in the 80s there?
what do the people without AC do in that situation???
because humid and 80s requires AC here in florida......

Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,069,944 times
There have been a few tropical storms off Mexico and SoCal caught the results.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,585,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
so what you are saying is that it's been humid and raining and in the 80s there?
No, its nothing close to Florida even right now. I don't have AC and am perfectly comfortable

Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,439,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
More like 70s - 80s with 60%. Then when the rain hits, it's low 70s with 70% or better for a very short window. Nothing like anything East of the Rockies.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
No, it's not Florida but it's high 80s where I'm at with 50-70% humidity. Normally the humidity stays under 30% and makes high 80s feel nice. This year, high 80s is not so much fun after awhile with this humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles