Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Btw, while this is the low end of the spectrum, it's by no means uncommon. Small 2bd/1ba apartments zoned to a "9" school surrounding the area I live in the South Bay rent out at starting under $1500/mo.
I would not consider the low end of the spectrum acceptable personally. Yes, if you don't mind a building that looks like a slumlord runs it than I'm sure you can find cheaper housing. My brother rented an apartment like that in Palms for many years that was quite cheap for the area and I would never be happy in something like that. There's a large range between the low end and high end and I don't need, and can't afford, a high end apartment in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I would not consider the low end of the spectrum acceptable personally. Yes, if you don't mind a building that looks like a slumlord runs it than I'm sure you can find cheaper housing. My brother rented an apartment like that in Palms for many years that was quite cheap for the area and I would never be happy in something like that. There's a large range between the low end and high end and I don't need, and can't afford, a high end apartment in LA.
Not sure why you are intent on twisting my words. These are not slums by any means. If you are ok with slumming you can get a 2 bd apt in Torrance as low as 1200/mo. In long beach as low as $900.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRate View Post
You originally said all of LA county, not near LB. Seain gave you examples of places where you certainly could get suitable apartments for 1200-1300. I could also throw in Monrovia or other areas along the 210 which are perfectly safe and not terribly expensive.
Exactly. I get tired of the major embellishments on here.

There is the one poster on here who after a year is thankfully leaving LA and going back to TN. To hear him tell it only multi millionaires can live in LA.

And besides the OP is open to a roommate idea(which is a good thing when you're new to a place and don't know people) so they can go down to paying $600 or $700 a month in rent for a nice two bed/bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Hi, your information is not correct. I have a family member that rents a nice 1bd apt in Torrance(and Torrance proper zoned to Torrance schools) for under $1000/mo.

It's near the 405 and would be a pretty easy drive into LB even at rush hour.

However rents that low can also be found in Long Beach and bordering city of Lakewood, both of which are nice neighborhoods. There's even a legitimate craigslist ad currently running for a studio in Belmont Shore at $975.

Btw, while this is the low end of the spectrum, it's by no means uncommon. Small 2bd/1ba apartments zoned to a "9" school surrounding the area I live in the South Bay rent out at starting under $1500/mo.

If you want a new modernized building...yeah that will be very expensive. But clean places built in the 50's-80's...the rents are actually much lower than the exaggerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles