Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
People can't be arrested for camping in public in LA. http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...42_1/gerry.pdf
I know they are not arresting in LA for camping on public property. That is why I said you guys need to change your laws.
Quote:
If Houston is actually arresting people for doing this, they should sue and make some $$$$.
This is why smart cities have civility ordinances to protect against this mentality. This mentality is rampant in this state...another reason this state is so screwed up.

The city of Houston can indeed arrest someone for setting up camp on public property. Why? Because they passed a civility ordinance in 1994 that prohibits people from setting up camp on public property.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The city of Houston can indeed arrest someone for setting up camp on public property. Why? Because they passed a civility ordinance in 1994 that prohibits people from setting up camp on public property.
LA had an ordinance like that. The court case I linked to above is the one that threw the ordinance out because it was unconstitutional.

Houston will be sued too, as soon as someone gets standing. Houston

Humans have a biological need to sleep/rest. "Given that shelter was unavailable to many of Los Angeles’s homeless individuals, it is unclear what choice they had but to sleep on the streets. When the only alternative to violating an ordinance is death, its enforcement cannot be anything but cruel and unusual punishment."

Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
LA had an ordinance like that. The court case I linked to above is the one that threw the ordinance out because it was unconstitutional.

Houston will be sued too, as soon as someone gets standing. Houston

Humans have a biological need to sleep/rest. "Given that shelter was unavailable to many of Los Angeles’s homeless individuals, it is unclear what choice they had but to sleep on the streets. When the only alternative to violating an ordinance is death, its enforcement cannot be anything but cruel and unusual punishment."
They don't have to sleep in the city do they? That is the issue...the homeless bring down the quality of life for others as well as the quality of the city. Take a good look at SF. What a dump it has become thanks to the homeless mess there.

The city can set up areas outside of LA for tent cities.

When discussing the homeless you can't just lump them all into the same category. Some are mentally disturbed, some are life dropouts wanting to stay dazed and confused on drugs, some are just unfortunate souls, some want to live on the streets. You need to be careful painting the homeless with a broad stroke brush. How you deal with each type of case will not be one size fits all.

Houston will not be sued. The ban is for 16 hours...that leaves 8 hours for them to sleep.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
They don't have to sleep in the city do they? That is the issue...the homeless bring down the quality of life for others as well as the quality of the city. Take a good look at SF. What a dump it has become thanks to the homeless mess there.

The city can set up areas outside of LA for tent cities.

When discussing the homeless you can't just lump them all into the same category. Some are mentally disturbed, some are life dropouts wanting to stay dazed and confused on drugs, some are just unfortunate souls, some want to live on the streets. You need to be careful painting the homeless with a broad stroke brush. How you deal with each type of case will not be one size fits all.

Houston will not be sued. The ban is for 16 hours...that leaves 8 hours for them to sleep.
San Francisco is doing exactly what you suggest: arresting them. San Francisco Bay View » In San Francisco, sleeping is a crime: New data shows SFPD giving mountains of tickets to homeless people for resting

Where would you suggest LA set up these tent cities? The areas outside of LA are all other cities and I'm sure they don't want LA's problems.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Where would you suggest LA set up these tent cities? The areas outside of LA are all other cities and I'm sure they don't want LA's problems.
There has to be some place around the fringes of a city as large as LA to set up a tent city.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:52 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I always hang with the homeless when I visit California, I like the homeless in California they add flavor to the state, the homeless are iconic like the Hollywood Sign, homeless people are part of the California culture, I like hanging out with them when I go to California.
What do you typically do with them?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times
Quote:
Humans also have a biological need to defecate. So does that mean, if no restrooms are available, a person can pull down their pants and defecate on a public sidewalk without running afoul of any laws?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Humans also have a biological need to defecate. So does that mean, if no restrooms are available, a person can pull down their pants and defecate on a public sidewalk without running afoul of any laws?
I dunno. The court didn't say anything about that.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,973 times
Quote:
Do the cops in LA arrest people who are walking around dazed and confused or acting belligerent due to drugs and alcohol?

I am from the 4th largest city in the US...it's about to become the 3rd largest. I moved to CA over 5 years ago but I never recall seeing the homeless in large amounts over my lifetime there until hurricane Katrina.

However the homeless in Houston don't behave the way I see the homeless here in CA. They would be arrested for PI (Public Intoxication) or making terroristic treats if indeed they were publicly intoxicated or making terroristic threats. They were also not allowed to live/camp or sleep on pubic property. These policies have kept the homeless population from getting out of hand in Houston and endangering themselves or others. Word spreads amongst the homeless and they realize they cannot behave this way without the risk of consequences in the city of Houston.

What solution is there? I see CA as a super corrupt political game as is all politics in the US. But here it has a special twist.

Throwing money at them is not a solution. We need serious project management skilled people to help the masses find a workable solution. We cannot keep complaining and watching this situation grow bigger and bigger.

I don't have the solution...I wish I did.
I have seen belligerent homeless folk in Atlanta aplenty, but for sheer numbers its gotta have Atlanta beat. I remember hanging out in Atl when I was a teen and there used to be a van that would drive through the streets when it got really cold out, getting the at-risk people off the streets. That doesn't happen here, probably because of the weather. L.A's solution has been to allow people to camp on certain streets at 10pm-530am as long as they pull up stakes during business hours. Skid Row is actually a network of streets, you'll see rows upon rows of tents out that way. They used to put porta-potties out there but too many prostitutes were commandeering them for tricks.

In L.A. the cops do do something about the people acting belligerent as long as the cops are AROUND. They can't be everywhere all the time.

I think spending the money on something other than policing, which the vast majority of the budget goes towards, would be a good start.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
for the ones that do have a job they shouldn't have to be asked and offered for housing programs.

so many churches and organizations seem to see no difference with people who are homeless.
If they would just build enough housing in the first place there wouldn't need to be special housing programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles