Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 AM

93 posts, read 158,279 times

Advertisements

Considering that the LA metro is the second most populated in the US
I would be inclined to believe that there must be some people who likes living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
This thread is still going and I'd just like to say that LA isn't what it used to be years ago. It is too crowded, expensive as heck, and the job market here is terrible. Not trying to be negative, just stating facts here. I love my family, friends, and my home, but I couldn't say that I love the metro area. It is just so spread out and vast, really giant area. And yet people still move here and their only excuse seems to be that because it has nice weather. You pay a high price for the weather I guess. Is it worth it? I'd say for most people no it isn't worth it because most people are busy being in their cars anyway.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 AM

18 posts, read 36,226 times
I live in LA county (long beach). I am planning to move somewhere else out of LA because of the very high standard of living. You need to work at least 2 jobs just to pay for mortgage and you won't have much money left to have a life. The weather is great, it is close to beaches but i think it is not worth it. If you're into the outdoors (beach, camping, etc) LA would be good. But i am more of a big, cosmopolitan city person. I think LA/OC is boring. Malls suck, same thing in every mall. Night life sucks (bars/clubs close early) I have lived in Asian cities which I think are more fun/interesting than LA/ more things to do.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_81 View Post
I live in LA county (long beach). I am planning to move somewhere else out of LA because of the very high standard of living. You need to work at least 2 jobs just to pay for mortgage and you won't have much money left to have a life. The weather is great, it is close to beaches but i think it is not worth it. If you're into the outdoors (beach, camping, etc) LA would be good. But i am more of a big, cosmopolitan city person. I think LA/OC is boring. Malls suck, same thing in every mall. Night life sucks (bars/clubs close early) I have lived in Asian cities which I think are more fun/interesting than LA/ more things to do.
LA is as big and cosmopolitan of city as you are going to get in North America outside New York. LA (and San Francisco) are very unique in that they are a huge cosmopolitan city and they are in a very unique physical environment. I wonder how much you have explored LA.

And why would Asian cities be more fun and interesting. I realize the density and tall buildings might make them feel very fast-paced, but for the most part, even Asian cities are very culturally homogenous (IE: even Tokyo is over 95% Japanese) a strong sense of conformity and discipline (IE: Singapore).

Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
This thread is still going and I'd just like to say that LA isn't what it used to be years ago. It is too crowded, expensive as heck, and the job market here is terrible. Not trying to be negative, just stating facts here. I love my family, friends, and my home, but I couldn't say that I love the metro area. It is just so spread out and vast, really giant area. And yet people still move here and their only excuse seems to be that because it has nice weather. You pay a high price for the weather I guess. Is it worth it? I'd say for most people no it isn't worth it because most people are busy being in their cars anyway.
I moved to LA, and I really don't think weather is that big of a deal honestly. The attraction to LA is being a city thats as culturally diverse, with unlimited things to do as New York (just spread out) and yet has the greatest variety of natural environments in the region.

Its an amazing area of the country to live in, but once you settle down and want to buy a house then, yeah, its not ideal.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 36,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
LA is as big and cosmopolitan of city as you are going to get in North America outside New York. LA (and San Francisco) are very unique in that they are a huge cosmopolitan city and they are in a very unique physical environment. I wonder how much you have explored LA.

And why would Asian cities be more fun and interesting. I realize the density and tall buildings might make them feel very fast-paced, but for the most part, even Asian cities are very culturally homogenous (IE: even Tokyo is over 95% Japanese) a strong sense of conformity and discipline (IE: Singapore).
I think there's more night life in Asian cities where you can go out and walk in the streets till dawn. LA is just too spread out for me. You have to drive just to go from one place to another. Asian cities are smaller. You go out of the condo, walk to the convenience store or somewhere, you see people walking everywhere. Their cities just don't seem to sleep. Their malls are also generally better, more things to do than just shop. They are not as culturally diverse but i don't really care about that. There are nights when my husband and i stay at our long beach apartment and just wonder what to do. movies and dinner again.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
There are nights when my husband and i stay at our long beach apartment and just wonder what to do. movies and dinner again.
That's all there is to do in Houston besides the borderline good nightlife. Do not tell me that there is more of the same waiting for me in LA. LA is the NYC of the West, a huge metropolitian area with tons of people and things to do. It cannot be just another town.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM

452 posts, read 619,917 times
I don't like living in L.A.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
We don't like you living here either.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
You don't live in LA. Geography not your strong point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles