Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,182 times

Advertisements

Hi I would also like to ask a question; I maybe want to stay in Manhattan Beach to follow a course, but I'm worried about racism, since I've read there is a lot of it in California. I've never experienced racism, because the city I'm from: Amsterdam, The Netherlands in Europe is totally mixed (so the average person is already from at least 2 countries, just like the ancestry of most Americans).
I'm a girl in my twenties, I may look like a Latin person, but I'm half French & half Caribbean. Would this cause problems for me in MB? Or are there places in CA (at the beach) that are more relaxed & don't give a rats ass where you're from? In Amsterdam nobody cares, we all think of each other just as people & that's it, we just live our lives in peace.

I hope someone could give me their honest opinion.

Thank you and greatings from Amsterdam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 02:09 PM

733 posts, read 939,702 times
Your experience with Amsterdam probably doesn't match up with others that have to deal with the racially charged xenophobia and islamophobia that have been an issue there for quite a while now. Likewise I'm sure that some would say that you're completely fine and others would tell you about racism.

That being said there's not many places in LA County that are not used to seeing "Latin" people, including whiter communities like Manhattan Beach, I'm sure there's racism there like there's racism everywhere but you'd probably be fine, if nothing else the few obvious racists have more "ethnic" looking people to harass.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:36 PM

98 posts, read 161,405 times
There is a lot of "Boring-ism"....ie, families, generic wonder-bread professionals, and women dressed like Ann Taylor

Stay in Hollywood, Venice, Santa MOnica lots more fun and 1000% more to do

Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie123H View Post
Hi I would also like to ask a question; I maybe want to stay in Manhattan Beach to follow a course, but I'm worried about racism, since I've read there is a lot of it in California. I've never experienced racism, because the city I'm from: Amsterdam, The Netherlands in Europe is totally mixed (so the average person is already from at least 2 countries, just like the ancestry of most Americans).
I'm a girl in my twenties, I may look like a Latin person, but I'm half French & half Caribbean. Would this cause problems for me in MB? Or are there places in CA (at the beach) that are more relaxed & don't give a rats ass where you're from? In Amsterdam nobody cares, we all think of each other just as people & that's it, we just live our lives in peace.

I hope someone could give me their honest opinion.

Thank you and greatings from Amsterdam

If CA is racist... Then everyplace in the USA is racist. You'll be fine almost everywhere in the city.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC View Post
There is a lot of "Boring-ism"....ie, families, generic wonder-bread professionals, and women dressed like Ann Taylor

Stay in Hollywood, Venice, Santa MOnica lots more fun and 1000% more to do
I agree, but there's a hell of a lot of "boring-ism" in Santa Monica too. It's become that way with the new developments and pricy rents. Venice isn't far behind.

for the OP: not racist there, at worst, you might get some passive aggressive behavior and "microaggressions"

Old 01-26-2016, 03:04 PM

581 posts, read 920,634 times
I have had an office in Manhattan Beach for the past 34 years. Although I don't live there I have worked with a lot of people who do. I can honestly say that I have never seen any sign or indications of raceism while there. Everyone I've met seems sincere and openly friendly. You'll be fine and will enjoy the city.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I have had an office in Manhattan Beach for the past 34 years. Although I don't live there I have worked with a lot of people who do. I can honestly say that I have never seen any sign or indications of raceism while there. Everyone I've met seems sincere and openly friendly. You'll be fine and will enjoy the city.
Half the Lakers (including the Buss family) Kings & Galaxy players live in Manhattan Beach. The only people they don't like are poor people. They love anybody with money (ok I'm super generalizing lol)

Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie123H View Post
I'm a girl in my twenties, I may look like a Latin person, but I'm half French & half Caribbean.
So you're European with what...dark hair and eyes, olive skin, and maybe an interesting accent (at least to Southern California natives)? Sounds like most of the population in Southern California, even in upscale communities such as Manhattan Beach. I can't imagine you'd have any problems with racism.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Hell yes. I grew up near by in El Segundo. It has changed now that cellphone cameras are ubiquitous, but growing up if my brown/black friends from Hawthorne came by to visit me and we were in MB we would get pulled over all the time.

For literally no reason. They would pull us over and ask us what were up to. And would always say we "looked suspicious". Apparently driving a car with minorities in MB was suspicious back then.

I would second Venice or even recommend Santa Monica.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Hell yes. I grew up near by in El Segundo. It has changed now that cellphone cameras are ubiquitous, but growing up if my brown/black friends from Hawthorne came by to visit me and we were in MB we would get pulled over all the time.

For literally no reason. They would pull us over and ask us what were up to. And would always say we "looked suspicious". Apparently driving a car with minorities in MB was suspicious back then.

I would second Venice or even recommend Santa Monica.
This happens everywhere. Only time I have been pulled over for driving while black was in the west end of ATL & on my way to Decatur. Both times they didn't even ask me for my ID. It's ridiculous. The first time they pulled me over...cop said somebody may have stolen the car, but didn't ask for ID? what?

being black anywhere is a risk unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles