Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

Can we live in Torrance,CA with $62k with family of wife and one kid. Pls advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
According to many here.. that may be pretty hard..

Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
I live in Glendale with wife and kid on $80k with no problems. People here also tell me I need $150k minimum yet we get by and don't struggle. We have one car and zero debt other than car loan so that helps. I think Torrance is a little less expensive.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
2 bedrooms 1ba go for as low as $1400 up to around $2k depending on what you need out of an apartment. That will be your big expense so if you beleive that's in your range, you won't have a problem.

This for instance is a good example of one of the lower end places:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...422447885.html

If you only need a one bedroom, they run about $950 on the low end up to about $1600.

For some reason a lot of posters here on CD really over exaggerate the cost of living here.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 AM

329 posts, read 628,163 times
I work in Torrance and know people that live in Torrance. It all depends where you are. If you want live in ghetto part of Torrance you will be financially comfortable. But you want safety, excellent schools then expect to pay $1700-2000 in rent for a run down 2 bed apartment

Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
I work in Torrance and know people that live in Torrance. It all depends where you are. If you want live in ghetto part of Torrance you will be financially comfortable. But you want safety, excellent schools then expect to pay $1700-2000 in rent for a run down 2 bed apartment
This is just nonsense.

First off I live in a 2/2 in an area zoned to West High School, the highest rated high school in Torrance, and my rent is less than $1700. Current asking in the area for the same is $1800-1850.

The only sample I posted off craigslist is zoned to North High. While the lowest performing high school in Torrance school district, it still has API scores exceeding 800 each year.

There is part of Torrance to the east and south that is zoned to LAUSD. But it's hardly ghetto. I can show you a real ghetto if you need a refresher in your definitions.

Finally, yeah if you have garbage credit, if you have multiple pets, if you can't afford a decent security deposit, you might have trouble finding a place.

But nearly everything you posted is fiction.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM

329 posts, read 628,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This is just nonsense.

First off I live in a 2/2 in an area zoned to West High School, the highest rated high school in Torrance, and my rent is less than $1700. Current asking in the area for the same is $1800-1850.

The only sample I posted off craigslist is zoned to North High. While the lowest performing high school in Torrance school district, it still has API scores exceeding 800 each year.

There is part of Torrance to the east and south that is zoned to LAUSD. But it's hardly ghetto. I can show you a real ghetto if you need a refresher in your definitions.

Finally, yeah if you have garbage credit, if you have multiple pets, if you can't afford a decent security deposit, you might have trouble finding a place.

But nearly everything you posted is fiction.

No need to get defensive about it. I understand everybody has different definition of 'ghetto'. I've been around so I don't need you or anybody to show me what ghetto is. You think I made up what I say? Ok sure and why would I care? One of my friends family with 2 kids lives in very nice area on hawthorne+pch in a 2+2 apartment for $1750. Structure itself is crap, landlord wouldn't fix water heater and other stuff so there were times when they had no hot water. Soundproofing is crap too, you can hear people from all directions. Torrance near freeways is totally different story and they're not cheap

Old 02-07-2016, 11:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Maybe for one person but no way for three. Put together a basic budget and you'll see it's just not possible to do that and live comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I live in Glendale with wife and kid on $80k with no problems. People here also tell me I need $150k minimum yet we get by and don't struggle. We have one car and zero debt other than car loan so that helps. I think Torrance is a little less expensive.
But A) Glendale is cheaper than Torrance; B) $80k is considerably more than $62k.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:10 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Maybe for one person but no way for three. Put together a basic budget and you'll see it's just not possible to do that and live comfortably.

But A) Glendale is cheaper than Torrance; B) $80k is considerably more than $62k.
62k in Torrance will just be a stepping stone anyways. The H1B IT people that I've come across have been comfortable by their own standards. So it is subjective. The family of 3 still might have 1 or no car at all and just takes public transportation, or carpools. I predict the OP starts at 62k in Torrance then move to Texas in a year or two ending up with more money.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:56 PM

302 posts, read 453,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
No need to get defensive about it. I understand everybody has different definition of 'ghetto'. I've been around so I don't need you or anybody to show me what ghetto is. You think I made up what I say? Ok sure and why would I care? One of my friends family with 2 kids lives in very nice area on hawthorne+pch in a 2+2 apartment for $1750. Structure itself is crap, landlord wouldn't fix water heater and other stuff so there were times when they had no hot water. Soundproofing is crap too, you can hear people from all directions. Torrance near freeways is totally different story and they're not cheap
I've been in Torrance and have a friend who lives there. I agree with the other poster. You're not very accurate. Luxury apartments are that high in Torrance, but for a normal apartment, they're simply not. And that's the thing with opinions on here with threads like this. Never ask a forum, especially CD if you can afford a place. We don't know your financial situation. We don't know what you consider ghetto or what is considered a run down apartment in your eyes. Some people consider a majority of colored people ghetto still. Heck, I'm still waiting for the ghettoness that is Pasadena north of the 210. And I'm not the only one on here.

Let most people tell it on here and you need at least 150K for a family of three to live comfortably. It's simply not true unless you like to eat out everyday, have 2 car notes, are paying back a lot of debt and like to spend freely at bars or go shopping every weekend. OP, I suggest you figure out your budget, figure out what's important to you, and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles