Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
There is literally no allure.
Close too downtown, etc or jobs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:24 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Problem is, a lot of us can't afford to move. Now, I live in a largely white suburb of Birmingham, AL, which is not comparing Apples to Apples, more like pears. But I would like to move. Problem is, property values have flat-lined to decreased, and the repairs and maintenance on my now 18 year old house are more than I budgeted for, and more than I have managed to put together
If your neighborhood gentrified, your housing value would go up and you could afford to move, or maybe the new amenities your gentrified neighborhood attracted would make it desirable enough or you that you wouldn't want to move.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:27 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Why exactly did anyone think East LA was a candidate for "gentrification?" To my knowledge, isn't East LA mostly composed of auto-dependent residential houses? That's not exactly the kind of built environment that is trendy right now.

And it's bizzare that Brooklyn has been mentioned when talking about East LA. Brooklyn is largely made up of 6+ story buildings that promote a pedestrian environment; it's arguable that Brooklyn itself is denser and is packed with more pedestrian amenities than Downtown LA (which is also not an apt comparison since Brooklyn is 71 square miles wide). East LA is not a comparison to Brooklyn whatsoever.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Why exactly did anyone think East LA was a candidate for "gentrification?" To my knowledge, isn't East LA mostly composed of auto-dependent residential houses? That's not exactly the kind of built environment that is trendy right now.

And it's bizzare that Brooklyn has been mentioned when talking about East LA. Brooklyn is largely made up of 6+ story buildings that promote a pedestrian environment; it's arguable that Brooklyn itself is denser and is packed with more pedestrian amenities than Downtown LA (which is also not an apt comparison since Brooklyn is 71 square miles wide). East LA is not a comparison to Brooklyn whatsoever.
exactly, you can't really compare the two at all

New York City likely has the most built up residential areas by far

Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Drove through East LA yesterday on my way to Alhambra. Uggggghh, awful grimy place wit tons of traffic, old homes, loitering everywhere, fattening food trucks everywhere,just a trashy place. Folks there seemed totally comfortable and I doubt have any intention on moving. The only way that place seemingly gets better is if Trump wins and starts deportations in that neighborhood by the thousands. Then u would probably see a change in the QOL there. Until then, it will most likely remain a dump

Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 PM

368 posts, read 413,211 times
Its coming. Give it a few more years. El Sereno, City Terrace, East LA will all see a major overhaul. Cant happen soon enough IMO. That entire mexican gang/ghetto culture needs to be exterminated. Disgusting filth.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Drove through East LA yesterday on my way to Alhambra. Uggggghh, awful grimy place wit tons of traffic, old homes, loitering everywhere, fattening food trucks everywhere,just a trashy place. Folks there seemed totally comfortable and I doubt have any intention on moving. The only way that place seemingly gets better is if Trump wins and starts deportations in that neighborhood by the thousands. Then u would probably see a change in the QOL there. Until then, it will most likely remain a dump
What's wrong with old homes? At least where I live, the houses built in the 1910s-1940s look nicer than the more recent ones.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:56 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
I'm a 29 year old black women who is interested in the status of gentrifying neighborhoods. I wouldn't assume that whites are the only block of residents that are interested in such. To say that is to say, non whites don't want "nice" places to live as well.

Non-Whites do want nice, safe decent places to live, but the problem is when you start having people with money, which are mainly Whites, start to buy up property in the surrounding areas that make up mostly minorities, property values start to rise as these particular Whites which tend to be Urbanites, Hipsters, and Yuppies fix up these old run down properties and the values skyrocket.

A high amount of Minorities are being affected by this kind of change as gentrification at the end of the day benefit Whites and not poor Hispanic and Blacks since many of these people aren't homeowners, and if they are, they are being forced to pay higher property taxes because of the increase housing values. Some can't afford the increase, and eventually they are forced to sell their home in time.

Also homogenization kicks in, so what used to be Pan dolce Markets, Mexican butcher shops, maybe an Asian fish market, Garcia's tax services, and other businesses that has diversity, is now replaced with the typical gentrified businesses.

Here are the standouts and norms in a gentrified community, or the beginning stages of gentrification. The signs are so easy to spot.

1. More and more Coffee shops popping up all over the place for no good reason is one sign.

2. Artsy fartsy boutiques and galleries that really don't have any significance are a way to market a new up and coming neighborhood with art.

3. Pet salons and Pet day care centers for the mini dogs that dominate in a yuppified area

4. New gyms popping up, Hipsters and Yuppies love to work out! When you start seeing more joggers in the neighborhood than usual, it's another sign that those new people aren't afraid of getting shot or robbed as they have a care free attitude with no street cred, or a sense of how to read the "streets' carefully.

5. New bars, especially breweries that always tend to have a funky ass name. Like the "Monkey Bar", "Longhard" or "Tru North".

6. Ramirez or Bonequisha's beauty supplies, is replaced by some upscale trendy hair salon.

7. More gourmet focused restaurants that try to hard to be unique and charges too much for whatever is on the menu.

If there is more, please feel free to add to the list.

This is fun. I love bashing on hipsters and yups.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Its coming. Give it a few more years. El Sereno, City Terrace, East LA will all see a major overhaul. Cant happen soon enough IMO. That entire mexican gang/ghetto culture needs to be exterminated. Disgusting filth.
Why can't we focus on the positive? LA's crime rate has went down substantially over the last 20 years and the gang culture has waned big time. Another poster said quite accurately that these days you're more likely to see a Latino kid in skinny jeans riding a skateboard than be in a gang.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:58 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Northeast LA has to finish gentrifying first before anything happens in East LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles