Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 AM

621 posts, read 1,033,220 times

Advertisements

I live in Glendale, California and my Boyfriend lives out in Malibu, California which is about 40-50 miles a part, and around a 45 minute to 1 hour drive time. I do not drive, due to no job or insurance coverage and using public transit out there, is difficult as well, bus routes being 2-3 hour drives or unable to go out in that direction.

Is there a train Metrolink or Amtrak that heads in this direction? I know using a taxi, Uber, Lyft, only accept credit cards or charge too much and since I don't work I can't afford a ride that pricey. The train or bus is my only option.

How can i get out there? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
Forget public transport unless you want to do many bus transfers and sit in a bus for over 2 hours. That would be the cheapest option though.

There are no trains heading into Malibu. The only other option I know is take an Uber or Lyft during an off peak hour when there isn't surge pricing.

I guess the best bet is to have more dates where you can meet roughly halfway or have him come out to you more often until you get a job where you can start to afford driving out to Malibu.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM

But he is complaining about always having to be the driver, and we should have things be equal etc. So I don't know what to do.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:33 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
I'm not a qualified relationship counselor, but I would think he would understand your situation if you don't have a job/money/etc. Have you fallen on hard times because you recently lost a job and just need a little help until you find a new job or have you been unemployed for a while?

I'm not sure if you guys have been going out long or are serious, but if he's complaining about having to drive out your way and is not understanding of your situation, it might be time for a new boyfriend.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 PM

581 posts, read 921,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
But he is complaining about always having to be the driver, and we should have things be equal etc. So I don't know what to do.
You might try growing up and acting like a responsible adult.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:44 PM

We have been together for 1 year and its a serious relationship, just taking some time a part right now, to focus on ourselves.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM

490 posts, read 660,501 times
M-F LADOT Commuter Express 549 runs between Glendale - Encino Stopping at Goode & Brand or Glendale Park and Ride and dropping off at Encino park and ride, honestly your best best for the fastest, cheapest, no transfer option, it gets you the closest of any method with least hassle and the busses are quite comfortable. The fare is $1.50 and the ride is less than an hour. Encino is much closer to Malibu and should ease the burden of driving so far.

It's not the best arrangement but neither is your relationship, and is a good compromise.

Commuter Express 549 - LADOT Transit Services

In Addition in the PM for .25c more you can get a transfer, and hop onto the LADOT commuter express 423, which stops at the Encino Park and Ride, that'll take you to any point most convenient for him to pick you up at depending how far east within Malibu he lives. It'll stop at Topanga Canyon, La Virgenes, Westlake etc, any and all of the North/South canyon roads that bring cras up from the Malibu shoreline.

http://www.ladottransit.com/comexp/routes/423/423.html

for example
The latest Friday outbound 549 leaves Glendale at 6:05 and with the transfer, gets you to Las Virgenes Rd at 8:11, 2 hours yes, but pretty good time considering how much distance you cover, traffic at rush hour, and a cost of only 1.75 its not that bad.

Last edited by IM90046; 03-16-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 PM

166 posts, read 135,363 times
It does upset me, that traffic conditions can be so bad lasting 4 hours if not more. But has anyone coming from Malibu area dealt with traffic for 4 hours? Recently my Boyfriend left his house around 10AM and was stuck in traffic until 4PM, and still didn't stop by to see me sadly, because traffic got to him so badly.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 AM

581 posts, read 921,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikumiku View Post
It does upset me, that traffic conditions can be so bad lasting 4 hours if not more. But has anyone coming from Malibu area dealt with traffic for 4 hours? Recently my Boyfriend left his house around 10AM and was stuck in traffic until 4PM, and still didn't stop by to see me sadly, because traffic got to him so badly.
I hate to break it to you but even with landslides the trip from Malibu proper to Santa Monica never takes 4 hours. I inherited a house in Malibu 25 years ago and have driven back and forth from west Los Angeles to there all those years. I, like a many others, know every alternate route. Even on the worst summer Sunday it's never more than 1 1/2 hours.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:48 AM

15 posts, read 17,634 times
The fact of the matter is you either you put up with the bus rides (give or take 2-3 hours) just to see him or you don't see him at all.
From Glendale, if you take the MTA, it's called:
Step 1: 180/780 West into Hollywood...
Step 2: walk down to Sunset Blvd or take a bus from Hollywood to Sunset Blvd (redundant, better to just walk a few blocks down South to Shnset as it takes the same amount of time walking as it may to wait for that bus) and catch the Sunset 2/302 West bus to PCH/beach stop (should be the last stop)
Step 3: At the intersection of PCH and Sunset (which is basically Pacific Palisades) you then catch 534 north going to Malibu. The last stop is passing or near Zuma Beach...which is Central Malibu.

You probably can realistically get away with using that 1.75 on the tap card and catch all those transfers under the same 1.75 tap if there is no traffic. You're given a 2 hour grace period from the first time you tap to keep transferring...so if you can hop on the 534 before that 2 hour ends...you basically got to Malibu for 1.75 from Glendale.
Alternative: The 534 starts down by Fairfax/La Cienega Washington in Los Angeles...which could be another option you might explore in taking advantage of that 2 hour grace period the tap card gives you. Once on, you're going to Malibu!
Glendale to Fairfax/Washington in Los Angeles-where the 534 starts-is very realistic to do. However there will be an additional 50 or 25 cent charge once that bus begins to hop on the 10 fwy towards the beach...it's like a fwy charge MTA charges for the bus having to ride the fwy...so bring those cents if you choose this option.

Lastly there are also other alternatives in getting to any and all these intersections...the 603 and 201 in Glendale both have stops on sunset blvd in Silverlake, then you hop on the 2-302 to the 534...or even the 201 to Wilshire 20/720 going towards Santa Monica Beach. Once in Santa Monica, you can also catch 534 to Malibu. However going back home...if it gets too late the 534 stops running going into Palisades/Sunset, Santa Monica Beach, LA. If you plan on leaving late, it's called: if your man loves you he can make the effort to drive you down to Santa Monics Beach where more bus lines into LA tend to run 24 hours. I'm not sure if the 2-302 going towards LA runs 24 hours but it should definitely be running longer/later than the 534.

metro.net trip planner is your friend...so is google maps an opting the bus option. Sometimes you have to play around with destinations intersections to see what is the best option.

If you get the day pass for 7 you get that round trip from Glendale to malibu for 7...u can easily do it for less than $5 but you will be subjected to being on point catching your transfers. That 7 gives you that leeway of time if you don't want to be stressing with MTA bus transfers...just make sure to double check the time the last bus leaves from Malibu at evening night 534 (I think it's before 8pm) so long as you're on by the time the last bus leaves, you'll probably be back in Glendale by 10pm.

And even then though, if he's not at least willing to meet you halfway, heck even sunset and pch intersection in he palisades...which is a lot closer to him in Malibu than it is to you in Glendale...that says something about where his heart is. If it's all simply sex...that's where his heart is: sex-and even then, some (maybe most) men who lived in Malibu and wanted some (and/or simply interested in spending time with their by) would probably make that journey/effort to meet you half way, all the way, or at the bare minimum Pacific Palisades/Santa Monica Beach.
Don't chase boys. They should be chasing you. If you have to chase, that says a lot and it lets you know who is more interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles