Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 44,558 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relatively new to City-Data so I apologize if these topics may have been covered in another RB thread but through some research I haven't gathered exactly what i'm looking for.

I grew up in the South Bay, specifically North Torrance so I am pretty familiar with the Torrance area. However, it has been since 2000 that I moved away and I also rarely ventured to the beach cities during my time. Besides the obvious info, i don't know too many details.

Anyway, I want to move to the North Redondo area. I love the South Bay and part of me want to move back "home." I now am in love with the beach area but South Redondo, Hermosa, and manhattan is out of my price range. North Redondo seems manageable price wise.

For the most part i understand North redondo is great besides certain pockets of the Galleria and maybe near Lawndale. (BTW what happened to the Galleria?) During high school i use to always go and never once found it ghetto, then again that was back in the 90's and i lived near gardena so i just may not have noticed? Now all i hear is oh the Galleria is super ghetto, there are thefts and gangs all over the place. Really? Is it that bad or is it just out of towers who's use to living in a crime free zone that they are turned off because they see some diversity in that vicinity?

Anyway, sorry for going on and on. I am looking at townhouses, debating between 2. One is way north of Artesia blvd in between Aviation and Inglewood ave, basically touching Manhattan Beach Blvd. Literally smack middle so it isn't closer to inglewood or aviation side, it's literally in between. I know in general people say closer to the ocean is better and closer to inglewood the worse. I just want to know if anyone knows that area i mentioned, i do notice that area is also literally next to Manhattan Beach to the left and lawndale is to the right. So it's pretty borderline to 2 cities. My other issue is the parking, I visited the area only on weekends and notice the street parking is JAMMED PACKED! I don't want to drive home on weeknight circling my neighborhood for parking or have to walk a mile home, I don't mind once in a while but if residential parking sucks that bad I won't be able to handle. I just wonder if it was that bad because it was a weekend or if it's always bad parking.

The other place I am looking at is still in North Redondo but it's closer to hermosa beach so obviously it is nicer. It is slightly above 190th in between Prospect and Inglewood Ave. It is really close to 190th and closer towards Prospect than Inglewood, it is about a mile to the beach. The area is definitely nicer than the one near manhattan beach blvd and i notice street parking on that street was a lot more open than the one above. Have no idea why certain parts of Redondo has impossible street parking while this nicer area closer to the ocean has ample parking.

Any inputs will help, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuyHere View Post
Have no idea why certain parts of Redondo has impossible street parking while this nicer area closer to the ocean has ample parking.

Any inputs will help, thanks!
I think closer to the beach is more tall and skinny single family homes versus northern North Redondo which has more McMansion town homes and condos The McMansion town homes will have at least 2 cars per unit requiring 4 parking spots on the street. The more narrow the streets, the less people will want to pull in and hour of their driveway.

Also drive by the units at night when everyone is home, that will give you a good idea about parking.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Good idea about driving by at night time. The area near Manhattan Beach Blvd streets are more narrow so it's only one way parking and you're right the McMansion town homes are everywhere in that area so probably more people are taking up a spot on the street. This would mean it will be a hassle for parking often. I'm guessing the other area south of Artesia is better and also have a more "beach" vibe to it.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Parking is generally tough north west of Ripley, so even south of Artesia is not a good rule of thumb. You could alway just park in your garage.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM

how is the area by Jefferson elementary school?

Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,540 times
Quote:
As far as parking goes? Not too sure about that particularly, but parts of Redondo are really bad with parking. But it's not unlike that in much of the towns in the LA metro area. I lived on Ave G off of Palos Verdes Blvd and parking sucked there. If you're renting in a complex, some might offer one parking spot per unit.

If you're talking about how safe it is, almost all of Redondo is pretty safe. Outside of a few so-so places in the eastern part of town. I think over by the school you mentioned is decent, or at least it was when I lived there 2.5 years ago. Have you looked into maybe seeing if you could get a complex that offers one parking spot off street per unit? That's within your price range of course.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
The area served by Jefferson Elementary is very desirable. Are you buying or renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles