Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Question...

I hear a lot of advice from RE agents, contractors, accountants etc. about how you can save a lot of money by renovating rather than rebuilding. I'm assuming that this pertains to people who bought a LOOONG time ago and have very low property tax rates which can only increase by 2% / year according to tax laws.

Do you truly save money on property tax by renovating a home that was recently bought? The property tax is already so high. The plan is to add an additional 1000 sq ft into the backyard which I am assuming will be assessed at the ongoing market rate so I'm not sure if I'll be saving money on property tax by trying to renovate.

Recent home appraisal:
Land value 800,000
Home value 200,000

I would prefer to build a new 2 story home because it preserves the yard. I just don't see that I'll be saving so much on property tax because it's already appraised so high.

Cost difference between build a new 2 story structure and adding on to a 1 story structure is negligible to me. I'm just thinking about long term property tax differences.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Any MAJOR remodel/renovation will increase the value of your home, and you will be assessed accordingly. Once your remodel is complete and the inspection report clears, you'll receive a supplemental assessment notice. Obviously, rebuilding will result in a higher property assessment than renovating.

http://assessor.lacounty.gov/wp-cont...5/02/E-36P.pdf

Old 07-12-2016, 02:30 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Yet for some reason when a rebuild happens on a lot the new house is built around one existing beam from the old house. The first time that I saw it 20 years ago my customer told me it was for tax purposes. To this day with around 10 % of the houses on my route always being torn down in favor of two story near McMansions I always see the bulldozers avoid that single 2 by 4 as a new home is built

Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
Here in California I understand you must retain 3 walls so that you qualify for a "remodel" rather than a total rebuild. It's a tax thing. For a remodel the value of the house increases only by the value of the remodel. In a rebuild the value of the house assumes the marketable value after time of completion. The resulting difference between these two values can be substantial, thus a large tax implication.

So if you follow this rule (and you should read up on it of course) and "remodel" the home by demolitioning some stuff and add square footage up top as a two story, you theoretically would save on property tax.

Also, a major remodel may qualify your property for a new year built on file, or what would be known as the Effective Year Built. That would have positive resale implications.

Last edited by adr3naline; 07-12-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
I've wondered if the prop 13 adjustments are based on just the improvements, or are the current market values for the land and existing structures included.

Say the original assessment is $500k land and $500k building for a $1MM total value. When you renovate/rebuild 10 years later and the land is now worth $1MM and the new house is worth $750k, is your new prop 13 value calculated using the original land value ($500k) or the current market value of the land ($1MM)?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I've wondered if the prop 13 adjustments are based on just the improvements, or are the current market values for the land and existing structures included.
Most likely the improvements, since that was the whole premise of Prop 13. Otherwise, few people would undergo major remodels.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
The Assessor has always come out and added the cost of improvements like adding square footage, swimming pool, etc.

I have never been reassessed for a roof replacement with a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles