Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,008 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into to moving to Palmdale from Fresno but I have been hearing some bad things, how bad is it compared to Fresno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
= Push.

But then again, I like both places.

Cue the horror stories in.....

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 AM

79 posts, read 211,497 times
practically the same hellhole, but slightly closer to Civilazation, better moving to Santa clarita than antilope valley

Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
Palmdale is closer to LA (around 50 miles down CA-14 and I-5) than Fresno is to....well....yeah. Take that for what it is, but Palmdale is, for all practical purposes, a commuter suburb of Los Angeles. A huge percentage of people live and work somewhere in LA (either in Downtown, or more commonly, in the San Fernando Valley). This means that Palmdale doesn't have really that much going on in it, since everything seems to be close-by anyways. It's one of the areas in Los Angeles County that got really hard with the real estate crisis (look how cheap houses are out there now), so there are many foreclosed homes in the area. There are also MANY Section 8 homes in the area, so that take into consideration.

Since it is in the Antelope Valley, it gets the same kind of climate most Mojave Desert cities do. Really hot in the summer, cold in the winter (unlike Fresno, it snows in Palmdale at least once or twice a year). However, there are a lot of desert and mountain activities available in the immediate area. I personally like going stargazing when I'm out there since its much clearer than where I live.

Fresno, on the other hand, more or less functions as the main city of the middle San Joaquin Valley (everything from the Kern County line to the Stanislaus County line). It has MORE things within the city limits because it has no other city most of the people can commute to.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Palmdale is in Los Angeles county but in the high desert so it is very hot during summer and pretty chilly on winter nights at over 2600'. It can be very windy and dusty but only an hour from the Pacific. Fresno is halfway between LA and the Bay Area in the Central Valley so it is much more lush than the Mojave desert and just about every crop known to man grows in the San Joaquin valley. It is also very hot during summer but can get foggy and chilly during winter; not as cold at night as Palmdale and a little bit more rain. Fresno is bigger than Palmdale and only an hour from the Sierra mts\ Yosemite and 2 hours+ from the Monterey Bay or Morro Bay.

Neither city is what one would considered super exciting but not that bad a place to work and live compared to the majority of the U.S.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam222 View Post
practically the same hellhole, but slightly closer to Civilazation, better moving to Santa clarita than antilope valley
Santa Clarita is a lot more expensive than Antelope Valley.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM

637 posts, read 3,237,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rateb24 View Post
I've been looking into to moving to Palmdale from Fresno but I have been hearing some bad things, how bad is it compared to Fresno?

You, Q; Would you rather get punched in the face, or the stomach?
Me, A; Niether

Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 11,752 times
Not being from Palmdale prior to this year one has to wonder where Palmdale went wrong. It is for the most part, esthetically pleasing to the eye, but, much like never judging a book by its cover, it is a haven for drugs, crime and just for a lack of a better description, people of walmart. There is little to no work available. A job posting came up for the DMV, and the day it opened, there were, no kidding, up to a thousand people waiting to apply. My wife was fortunate to land a position at the AV hospital out of 4000, yes 4000 applicants. Thankfully we did not buy here and only lease, and if I could figure out a way break the lease, I would be gone from the AV period. Got my sites set on Simi Valley. Heard lots of good things about it. Sorry if I am ruining your day.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,752 times
Well
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeriguy View Post
Not being from Palmdale prior to this year one has to wonder where Palmdale went wrong. It is for the most part, esthetically pleasing to the eye, but, much like never judging a book by its cover, it is a haven for drugs, crime and just for a lack of a better description, people of walmart. There is little to no work available. A job posting came up for the DMV, and the day it opened, there were, no kidding, up to a thousand people waiting to apply. My wife was fortunate to land a position at the AV hospital out of 4000, yes 4000 applicants. Thankfully we did not buy here and only lease, and if I could figure out a way break the lease, I would be gone from the AV period. Got my sites set on Simi Valley. Heard lots of good things about it. Sorry if I am ruining your day.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Not being from Palmdale prior to this year one has to wonder where Palmdale went wrong. It is for the most part, esthetically pleasing to the eye, but...
I almost want to ask if you've been there, except evidently you presently live there.

Quote:
Got my sites set on Simi Valley. Heard lots of good things about it. Sorry if I am ruining your day.
Good idea! Far far better than AV.

Folks, Palmdale and Lancaster are mostly for people who cannot afford to live closer in to Los Angeles, or a few whose employment makes it convenient to live there (Edwards AFB). Palmdale is scrub desert. It's hot and dry and windy during the summer, and colder than (insert superlative here) during the winter.

If you need to own a house and can't afford over $100K, okay maybe start looking in Palmdale. It is not a destination city. It's a place that most people can't wait to get out of.

I'm sorry to be bashing it but the OP needs the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles