Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Sad. I hate to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
The whole situation is disgusting, and it's an encroachment on the rights of people who are lawful stakeholders in any given neighborhood. I'd rather have no mayor and city council at all, rather than Cuckcetti and his gang of mentally deranged freaks who can't take care of this, but who are obsessed with bike lanes, gift baskets for felons, and other stuff most of us could not care less about.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Hollywood needs to be gentrified because it's largely a dump.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah it's a weird situation where you have new development going on in Hollywood but at the same time an increase in people living on the streets . I lived in Hollywood in 2009-2010 and it's definitely gotten a lot worse since then .

I know some make the argument that development in the immediate area has pushed people out but I don't know how valid that claim is .
Hollywood like the rest of la has rent control .
It seems more that the nations homeless are attracted to LA due to its homeless culture .
Similar to the way people wanting to be in film or tv are attracted to LA.
This is not just a homeless person here or there anymore .its entire city blocks and parks taken over.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 PM

This is an article about this park that apparently wasn't a park . They are planning to spend more money to change it to make it less friendly for homeless people .. or something ..

Why not just , not tolerate people loitering or sleeping there ?

Wonder if we will ever get a Mayor and city council with common sense.

https://www.google.com/amp/la.curbed...?client=safari

Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM

I reported to the city via the 311 app.
Looks like there were some duplicate requests .
Will be interested to see what they say .

Old 10-27-2016, 01:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I used to really sympathize with the encampments out of guilt but there are always two sides to the story. I saw a news segment about an encampment which included several RVs stationed at a park in a neighborhood and trash was piled up eye level, no joke. The neighbors complained about the smell, the noise and how many were afraid to be around the encampment at night. There is only so much that can be said before some action from the city has to be forthcoming. It's sad but it's not heartless to demand action.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
homelessness is an issue all over the city, including the valley. i feel like that the powers that be in city hall are turning a blind eye to the issue to strong arm the voters into passing measure HHH (the multi-billion dollar housing measure). maybe there is a better explanation for the growing number of homeless encampments throughout the city, but I have yet to hear any.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
homelessness is an issue all over the city, including the valley. i feel like that the powers that be in city hall are turning a blind eye to the issue to strong arm the voters into passing measure HHH (the multi-billion dollar housing measure). maybe there is a better explanation for the growing number of homeless encampments throughout the city, but I have yet to hear any.
Yes I agree . I'm pretty sure that HHH might just end up housing people that are considered "low income /poor" rather than the homeless as we know them . The ones in the videos that are in the original post .

Also as this article mentions , HHH would only house a fraction of the homeless .

Article was written by a formerly homeless person .

As article mentioned Garcetti and his developer friends will claim they've " fixed " the homeless problem and pat themselves on the back . Meanwhile the city streets will look the same . With the rate the number of homeless has been growing , even if it did get that small fraction off the street , we would be back to where we are in maybe a year or so .

Say

Old 10-27-2016, 04:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
You have that in westside areas that were always considered "nice", too. It's a city of LA thing. People know the homeless can get away with anything in LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles