Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
There is no such ethnic group as Islam. Just ask the Arab Christians of Lebanon or the white Muslims in Bosnia. Unlike skin color or ancestry, religion is a set of beliefs and practices that one chooses and can change, and the U.S. has every right to protect itself against beliefs and practices that are dangerous to its people. Does everyone who wants to come here have the right do so, and the onus is on the US to prove why we won't let that person immigrate here? I don't think so.
I didn't say Muslims were an ethnic group. I said "ethnic group or reason". Perhaps I should have been more verbose and detailed over that. Regardless, my point stands: Trump did propose to restrict immigration beyond "illegals". And to do so for reasons of ethnicity or religion runs counter to the Constitutional foundations of the country. To do so for having ties to terrorism is legitimate because that threatens security, yes. Being a Muslim in itself doesn't threaten security, despite what LuvOC believes. Even OC admits that there are plenty of American Muslims who pose no threat simply based on their religion. Similarly, restricting immigration based on country or region of origin is unreasonable and unproductive for the nation.

Expert individual vetting is the only answer.

Now, before you or others jump on me for being some kind of liberal sympathizer: I don't like Islam one bit. I don't like any religions. I'm not defending religions or ethnicities. And I don't support illegal or open immigration. I'm in favor of deeply restrictive immigration policy with lots of limitations and requirements and vetting. I simply recognize that religion or race or national origin as criteria open the door for other kinds of selective discrimination against citizens already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Hi everyone I was once Caliguy2007 but changed my username to (Californiaguy2007) because I got very annoyed by people constantly telling me Cali is in Colombia

Well onto the topic of discussion...I was in Downtown L.A when they were protesting and shutting down the 101 freeway,but my question is.

How does protesting and blocking the 101 freeway affect Trump in any way when he doesn't live in L.A and probably doesn't drive on the 101,and how does it affect him being elected as President
As Hippityhop said it doesn't. What it does do is turn more people against you, like the people who were just getting out of the Staples Center from a basketball game. The people who own bars and restaurants and their staff. They lose money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
It doesn't. People are pissed and want to show they're pissed. It's not like the people that are pissed in LA are motivated/financially interested in flying to Trump's house and protesting in front of his yard.
So, show you're pissed without pissing off people who did nothing to you, and might even agree with you. But if someone gets stuck on the freeway because now they're out of gas due to sitting in traffic for hours, or needs to take a **** real bad, now they hate you.

I know a very liberal restaurant owner in DTLA, it was rough going the first year and now after dealing with delays and permit/code issues things are starting to take off. He is just thrilled with this. Because people aren't going to go downtown and pay those high parking fees and have to worry about putting up with this crap. They will stay home or go elsewhere.

I wonder if the mayor has thought about the economic impact?

Old 11-13-2016, 04:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
As Hippityhop said it doesn't. What it does do is turn more people against you, like the people who were just getting out of the Staples Center from a basketball game. The people who own bars and restaurants and their staff. They lose money.

So, show you're pissed without pissing off people who did nothing to you, and might even agree with you. But if someone gets stuck on the freeway because now they're out of gas due to sitting in traffic for hours, or needs to take a **** real bad, now they hate you.

I know a very liberal restaurant owner in DTLA, it was rough going the first year and now after dealing with delays and permit/code issues things are starting to take off. He is just thrilled with this. Because people aren't going to go downtown and pay those high parking fees and have to worry about putting up with this crap. They will stay home or go elsewhere.

I wonder if the mayor has thought about the economic impact?
I can't imagine the Mayor hasn't thought about it but it seems he just does not care .
Terrible about the guy that threw his life and money into the business and then this happens

I'm sure the effect will be very bad for the economy .

Sometimes I wonder if this Mayor isn't purposefully trying to run the city into the ground

Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I can't imagine the Mayor hasn't thought about it but it seems he just does not care .
Terrible about the guy that threw his life and money into the business and then this happens

I'm sure the effect will be very bad for the economy .

Sometimes I wonder if this Mayor isn't purposefully trying to run the city into the ground
I don't think he has thought it through, although they are keeping them off the freeways now.

I can't imagine someone who was born and raised here and has done very well here and from a well known family would want to see things occur like the 92 riots. It would be a big stain and you can forget going further in politics.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:21 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
So, show you're pissed without pissing off people who did nothing to you, and might even agree with you.
Suggestions? Keep in mind you want to have a real impact not just a nice friendly wave.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
I don't think he has thought it through, although they are keeping them off the freeways now.

I can't imagine someone who was born and raised here and has done very well here and from a well known family would want to see things occur like the 92 riots. It would be a big stain and you can forget going further in politics.
It's not intentional malice, more like just being out of touch and removed from reality.

I wonder if Garcetti would be so tolerant if the protestors invaded the richest hoods.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's not intentional malice, more like just being out of touch and removed from reality.

I wonder if Garcetti would be so tolerant if the protestors invaded the richest hoods.
Yes.
Just like radical Islamic terrorists might think that they are doing God's work by blowing people up.
Garcetti might think he's actually doing God's work.

The well connected and wealthy citizens in the richest neighborhoods would not stand for it.
It would probably just take a handful of millionaires late to a business meeting and Garcetti would change his tune quick.

A gardener , dishwasher, housekeeper is unlikely to complain.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Isn't Garcetti like Mexican Irish, Russian and Jewish that pretty cool thou, I give them credit for the coolest ethnicity of all time.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Isn't Garcetti like Mexican Irish, Russian and Jewish that pretty cool thou, I give them credit for the coolest ethnicity of all time.
Sucks that he's the lamest mayor of all time.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:55 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Clinton wanted to allow thousands of military age men from the middle east to come here. We would have a terrorist attack somewhere in the US everyday if she had won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles