Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,744 times

Advertisements

THINKING ABIUT RELOCATING FROM CA TO JOHNSON CITY TENNESSE BUT AM QUITE AFRAID OF TORNADOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
No tornados in Los Angeles. We have earthquakes. And the storms rarely have any thunder and/or lightning.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,817 times
ilfiaem, there may be some on the Los Angeles board who can address your concerns, but I think you'd best look for a Tennessee board as you're relocating FROM LA TO Tennessee.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I'll tell you at least you get some warning on the TV back east when there is going to be a tornado "watch" or a tornado "warning".

I'd be more afraid of earthquakes because you get no advance warning of when they are about to hit.

You can at least find some shelter in time to be saved.

Also, go find an almanac or research online about when, where and how often they have tornados in the town you're moving to.

I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,934 times
I'm from TN...

East TN never has tornadoes, West TN does. I lived North of Memphis most of my life, and a tornado moved my highschool about 2 city blocks.... Anyways, don't worry about them out here; just worry about living with 24 hr boredom.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No tornados in Los Angeles.
This isn't entirely true. We have not had any major tornadoes in L.A., but we have had them. None of them was larger than an F-2, and the damage from them was minimal. About 20 years ago, there was one that hit the Los Angeles Convention Center that tore some of the siding off the building. This is about the most serious tornado I remember ever hearing about. Huntington Beach has had one or two over the years that I can recall, also. As with most disasters, those tornadoes targeted mobile home parks, and caused some minor to moderate damage.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 AM

240 posts, read 838,401 times
The plot here looks like it might be a smooth of predicted tornado activity per 1000 square miles, but it doesn't give a year. There are some other plots in this thread that you might find interesting.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,705 times
Like someone else said, you will get proper warning. Where I live(Milwaukee), we have tornado watches all of the time. They announce those when the conditions are possible for one. That way you can prepare or maybe just make sure you stay inside. Then there is a tornado warning when they notice a funnel forming. This is when you take cover immediately.

Somehow we had a tornado last month. I think it was the first time in years that one happened in January. Especially with the amount of snow we are getting. We had some random 60 degree day, then it went down. Caused a decent size tornado that stayed on the ground for a long time until it finally took a turn into lake Michigan.

This is one reason that I really want to move to LA. I hate the weather in WI. This winter may have been the craziest one ever. We had a tornado one day in January. Then a couple weeks later we had 18 inches of snow in less than a day. I've been to LA twice in the past two months and couldn't get myself to leave.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM

109 posts, read 395,357 times
Get a place with a good basement and you'll be fine, or get a place with a nice solid interior room with no windows. I've survived in the Midwest for 41 years now with no problems. DON'T rent a mobile home!

Remember, they come through, but most people survive just fine as long as you keep your head on straight and pay attention to the weather reports. Even if you're caught out, the odds of crossing paths with a tornado are pretty low (although they may come through your area).

Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,354 times
Wink No tornadoes- Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No tornadoes in Los Angeles. We have earthquakes. And the storms rarely have any thunder and/or lightning.
What about the tornado that ripped the roof off the convention center? Here is a link which shows that since 1918- there have been over 30 tornadoes which have occurred in Los Angeles.

USATODAY.com - California storm spawns twister

At the very least you should do a google search before giving advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles