Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,875 times

Advertisements

So I'm watching old local news footage clips, about the ongoing "problem" of RV's parked along the streets of Venice. I'm seeing some pretty long class C and Class A motorhomes, even saw some big bus conversions. But what strikes my curiosity, is how do these people wind up procuring these large vehicles?

I had never even been inside a motorhome before (until just recently). Nobody in my family ever owned one, I just dismissed them as expensive toys for retired Midwesterners.

So it just seems like a radical move for these homeless people to wind up with a motorhome. Just maneuvering and parking a 28+ foot MH requires some experience. Not to mention these old ones require significant maintenance.

It would seem like these people were RV'ers before they became homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,100,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
It would seem like these people were RV'ers before they became homeless.
I think you're right on the money with this one^. I had a conversation with a homeless RV owner not too long ago and he said he inherited his from a relative during hard times. This was just one conversation so I'm not sure if it's common, but the logic seems to follow because functional RV's are really not that cheap.

On another note, I think the term "homeless" gets ambiguous when someone owns a functional RV. It's a shelter to sleep in, providing means of transportation, private restroom, etc. Sounds "fun" in a lot of respects. Someone on this board lives on a boat - I don't believe they have a job. I doubt he/she would consider them self "homeless". But I guess that's besides the point of this thread.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Watch the first episode of breaking bad and you will see how many get started in RVing.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Watch the first episode of breaking bad and you will see how many get started in RVing.
I've never watched a single episode of that show, I'll check it out.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Is someone homeless if they are living in an RV?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM

That's true about the term homeless. In the RV community they would be termed, "full timers".

Next time I'm in LA, I'm going to spend a day in Venice, see what this RV scene looks like.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 20-22' class C motorhome, something to escape this AZ summer heat in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I think you're right on the money with this one^. I had a conversation with a homeless RV owner not too long ago and he said he inherited his from a relative during hard times. This was just one conversation so I'm not sure if it's common, but the logic seems to follow because functional RV's are really not that cheap.

On another note, I think the term "homeless" gets ambiguous when someone owns a functional RV. It's a shelter to sleep in, providing means of transportation, private restroom, etc. Sounds "fun" in a lot of respects. Someone on this board lives on a boat - I don't believe they have a job. I doubt he/she would consider them self "homeless". But I guess that's besides the point of this thread.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Interesting question
I'm thinking most of them owned the rv before becoming " homeless "

it might be an idea to allow these people to park their vehicles in a certain location , but parking them on public streets and dumping stuff in streets is not a good idea .

Maybe if there were some city owned lots and these people paid rent ?
I had an rv parked in front of my house for several days and it was weird not knowing if someone was in it, who the person was etc .

I'm guessing it costs about the same to live in an RV in LA versus elsewhere in the country so it makes sense why they want to be here , but on the other hand I don't think we whole tolerate it to the degree we do .
If you go to certain parks there are many people living in their vehicles .

It won't fly in Beverly Hills or Brentwood , so they go to other areas .
North Hollywood has a ton of these vehicles . There are a lot of shops that have been closed for years near the Macy's on Laurel canyon where it's become a magnet for these rvs

That's another bad thing about vacant property . It's not creating jobs or bringing in tax revenue and also a magnet for stuff like this .

Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Rolling Meth Labs , it sounds like a good name for a punk band.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:01 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,593 times
I noticed some pretty run down looking RV's constantly parked at the Westminster dog park in Venice for several months. I don't notice them anymore but I assumed it was homeless people figuring out how to game the system. As far as how somebody gets them I bet you can buy them pretty cheap and it's going to cost a fraction of renting in LA.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 PM

817 posts, read 753,390 times
I forsee two types of people.

#1. A person or family on hard times, with class and independence. Cheaper than a hotel or apartment, and can save to get back on track.

#2. A bum that's a step above. Maybe they had the RV, got it from someone, or saved whatever income source they have and bought it off an old cheapo used RV lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles