Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 132,407 times
1. Bad Air
2. Overpopulated
3. Traffic
4. Pretentious People
5. Poor Infrastructure (Bad Roads)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Those cities are fanatical cults. I lived in a similar one at one point, the "city pride" was stronger than any religion/political movement you can imagine.

It's like everyone around is constantly in some chant...and you just think the city is ok, maybe even boring, but you have to go along with them or risk someone getting extremely upset.
Austin is a cool place they deserve to be proud and they are. There downtown area was sparkling clean compared to downtown LA. It is a very young person town though ... if I was 20 to 35 years old I'd love to live there.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I'm vacationing here this week and love it so much, I want to move here. It's absolutely beautiful! I live in PA. The people seem so happy and chill too. Traffic and parking are frustrating I will admit. A 15-20 min drive could take 45 min or more. Add another half hour to find parking lol. You get so frustrated trying to get to your destination sometimes, you want to just go back and forget it. I experienced that feeling last night. I guess living here and vacationing here are completely different.
I thought the same things when I first visited LA 25 years ago coming from the gloomy Midwest...didn't find it appealing enough to actually want to move there though as I would probably never have been able to afford a single family home on my own in an area I would want to live in like Pasadena. The traffic may not seem that bad when you are on vacation and following a leisurely schedule which is a gar cry from most people's real lives...it gets old FAST. There is also the air pollution...I've never experienced a place as miserable as LA when the temps soar and the humidity happens to be up. This is coming from someone who lived in Houston for 5 years...LA seemed absolutely intolerable however these may have been some freakishly hot days if I remember correctly. So Cal has alot of neat stuff and fun things to do and I do continue to visit but I doubt anyone could pay me enough to consider ever living there.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Austin is a cool place they deserve to be proud and they are. There downtown area was sparkling clean compared to downtown LA. It is a very young person town though ... if I was 20 to 35 years old I'd love to live there.
Never said it was good or bad, but not everyone is going to want to join the herd mentality. Although majority there fall right in line with it, so it's irrelevant.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post

It's literally at the bottom of my list of reasons why I would move somewhere.

1) Can I get a job there?
2) Can I afford to live there?
3) Are the people nice?
4) Is there stuff to do?
5) Are there good food options?
I agree.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post
It is really strange that some people don't like a place simply because of political reasons. What kind of weirdos do that?

It's literally at the bottom of my list of reasons why I would move somewhere.

1) Can I get a job there?
2) Can I afford to live there?
3) Are the people nice?
4) Is there stuff to do?
5) Are there good food options?
Reason 999,999,999) Are there lots of XYZ political party members in the area?
obviously you are either a liberal or non political or you would understand. I didn't say anything about not living someplace based on any one thing as you seem to think I did: I said, one reason we did not return: again, certainly not the only reason. If you read my pros and cons about living in the L.A. area you would see I mentioned all the things you would base a move on: including things to do and diversification including food options.

I would never choose an area based on one criteria: certainly not politics. I am not quite sure why you seem to get so defensive when people mention politics.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You are not alone in having fallen in love (vacationing) in Los Angeles. Most transplants here know the feeling.
True.. but a lot of LA transplants are young, single/childless, apartment-dwelling, aspiring actors etc.. LA is perfect (and fun) for that lifestyle.
But it's a different transplant experience if you have kids you're going to send thru treacherous LAUSD public schools.. and/or you're trying to purchase/afford a home in a halfway-safe neighborhood. LA can be tough for those aspirations..

Really naive to say, How could people not like LA ? People have varying ambitions & tastes.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
LA is one of those place I enjoy visiting, but could never see myself living in.

The city has a lot of potential though. If they work on creating density in the downtown core, and improving public transit, I could see the city really stating to shine in the next 10 years.
How much more can they improve public transit? It's the best!

I fly down there for one day trips, and I've ridden their awesome bus system, their wonderful rail system, and it will be the very best once they get the Purple line out to UCLA, then completo!

Sheesh, Las Vegas will be the Last of the Mohicans to get any light rail in their city, so far: Nada!

And please don't mention that kiddie train that is only utilized by tourists!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
1. Bad Air
2. Overpopulated
3. Traffic
4. Pretentious People
5. Poor Infrastructure (Bad Roads)
When was the last time you were in LA?

The air is fine, having drastically improved over the past 2 decades.
Overpopulation is subjective to the neighborhood you're in.
"Pretentious people" is what you say when you only know LA from TV.
Bad roads, that one I'm okay with.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I thought the same things when I first visited LA 25 years ago coming from the gloomy Midwest...didn't find it appealing enough to actually want to move there though as I would probably never have been able to afford a single family home on my own in an area I would want to live in like Pasadena. The traffic may not seem that bad when you are on vacation and following a leisurely schedule which is a gar cry from most people's real lives...it gets old FAST. There is also the air pollution...I've never experienced a place as miserable as LA when the temps soar and the humidity happens to be up. This is coming from someone who lived in Houston for 5 years...LA seemed absolutely intolerable however these may have been some freakishly hot days if I remember correctly. So Cal has alot of neat stuff and fun things to do and I do continue to visit but I doubt anyone could pay me enough to consider ever living there.

That's fine if you don't like LA, but having been to Houston you don't know what you're talking about in regards to weather.

Houston is MISERABLE with humidity, I was there one year in March and it was already uncomfortable. And got love those flying cockroaches.....LOL.

LA isn't humid. Every once in awhile we will get a week in the summer with some humidity, and people look like they want to die.

The thing it isn't even close to the south or back east in the summer.

Your memory is way off, if you think Southern CA is humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles