Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I really don't know why people are so up in arms about this.
We're up in arms because traffic is already abhorrent and the last thing we need is anything that makes it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 03:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
We're up in arms because traffic is already abhorrent and the last thing we need is anything that makes it worse.
Well like others have mentioned you have a 7 year period to prepare for this 2-week summer event. Everyone was afraid of traffic in the 1984 games as well, but it worked out fine and that was before we even had a single rail line.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well like others have mentioned you have a 7 year period to prepare for this 2-week summer event. Everyone was afraid of traffic in the 1984 games as well, but it worked out fine and that was before we even had a single rail line.
Traffic in 1984 was nothing like today. I was too young to drive at the time, but I remember rush hour actually being around an hour when I was riding around in a wood paneled station wagon on my way to Carvel's for soft serve. Today, however, rush hour is from 5AM until after midnight.

And for what, people sprinting, pole vaulting and jumping hurdles? How are those skills valuable in any situation outside of the Olympics? It's not like Persia is invading and we need to rally the troops at Marathon...

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
Quote:
Traffic in 1984 was nothing like today. I was too young to drive at the time, but I remember rush hour actually being around an hour when I was riding around in a wood paneled station wagon on my way to Carvel's for soft serve. Today, however, rush hour is from 5AM until after midnight.

And for what, people sprinting, pole vaulting and jumping hurdles? How are those skills valuable in any situation outside of the Olympics? It's not like Persia is invading and we need to rally the troops at Marathon...

Are you Mayor Garcetti ;-)

Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If L.A doesn't get the Olympics he'll just blame it on Trump

He was already trying to make some ridiculous case that if Trump won it would hurt L.A's change of winning the chance to host the Olympics..

https://apnews.com/a5ee0fa2577444659...-voters-24-bid
That makes sense. Trump has a terrible reputation (understandably) and is anti-internationalist. Meanwhile, our rival (France) just elected a wonderful, smart, welcoming, popular, globalist president. Who would you choose?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Are you Mayor Garcetti ;-)
No, but I did see him at Carvel's a few times in the 80's. One day this bigger kid didn't like Eric's whining about there not being enough rainbow sprinkles on his ice cream so the bigger kid pushed up on the bottom of Eric's ice cream cone and got soft serve all over Eric's face. As we all laughed and Eric ran off crying, he vowed to one day become mayor and ruin this city to spite us all.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
That makes sense. Trump has a terrible reputation (understandably) and is anti-internationalist. Meanwhile, our rival (France) just elected a wonderful, smart, welcoming, popular, globalist president. Who would you choose?
Yes please please go to France olympics

Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:

Well by that logic how can traffic get any worse? Of course it was less congested back then, but like I said there was not a single rail line, and a much less robust bus system.

If you can't see the economic benefits of holding the Olympic Games then let's just disagree, but boiling it down to sprinters and pole vaulters is just ignorant. But we know you were just "trying" to be funny.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Well by that logic how can traffic get any worse? Of course it was less congested back then, but like I said there was not a single rail line, and a much less robust bus system.

If you can't see the economic benefits of holding the Olympic Games then let's just disagree, but boiling it down to sprinters and pole vaulters is just ignorant. But we know you were just "trying" to be funny.
How can traffic get any worse??? Did you really write that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles