Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 PM

240 posts, read 240,155 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people covered the topic with safety advice...

Just want to agree that wildfires typically happen (although not always) in more rural areas where there's foliage to burn. When I first moved here I worked for Oakwood Apartments on Barham and some kids from Indiana played with bottle rockets that burned the acreage up there by Warner Bros. So it does happen in the city too. Luckily none of the buildings burned. And then that winter when the rains came... mudslides into the P building since there were no longer plants to keep the mud in place.

Also - I learned this from riding horses for a lady in Shadow Hills - if you're planning on buying a house, succulents don't burn so if you plant a certain percentage you can get a reduction on your homeowner's insurance.

And lastly, the Red Cross sells backpack earthquake kits, if that's easier for you than building your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 12:23 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Fires:
your homeowners insurance will let you know if you are a "fire prone" area. If you are in the hills, you will have annual "brush clearance" requirement, and you'll know all about it. If you're buying/renting in a normal suburbian tract, don't have to worry too much. But yes, it looks like Hell on Earth if you are wrong place/wrong time/unlucky:
http://oi365.photobucket.com/albums/...66_31Aug09.jpg

Earthquakes:
longtime Earthquake veteran here. There's a "really good one" about once per decade "(Sylmar, Landers, Northridge)". Anything less than a 6.5, we don't even get up from the couch. 3 ppl killed by Landers, 57 by Northridge, 64 by Sylmar. But I'll take Earthquakes any day over Tornados and Hurricanes.

and c'mon, we live in the age of Youtube! here's EXACTLY what an unfiltered earthquake looks like from a sony handycam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUs6DMkEbg

Mudslides:
not a thing. The year AFTER a great brush fire, when the hillsides are denuded... AND you get heavy rains, that is when you'll get a mudslide. If you live in a true 'valley' you're fine. You got a house on stilts, you're hosed.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I'm sure CA stays up to date on building codes for earthquakes and fires. Right?
Not really.
L.A. releases addresses of 13,500 apartments and condos likely to need earthquake retrofitting - LA Times

Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
SUPbud hit the nail on the head. So what it basically comes down to is, don't be in an older building, around the epicenter of the once every ten years quake. I'll take those odds.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:40 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie-o View Post
ZERO experience with either.
Re: fires-where do these happen-not decided on exactly where I'll be living, but if it happens to be in Slymar, Canyon Country, Santa Clarita...are wildfires something to look out for? There, or Everywhere, or do these not Really happen as close in as it seems on the news (literally have only been to the state of California twice on business to San Diego. total noob on ALL of this, so please forgive my ignorance. It's why I'm asking.

Earthquakes-how often to expect, do you just not own glass anything that isn't secured (rather dramatic, but I'm fishing for a breakdown on what to expect). Anyone who experienced first earthquake in recent memory would b especially helpful for just an idea of what to expect. (me and my lil shih tzu are earthquake virgins and I have a somewhat "cartoon" version of what to expect in my head. So, I'd love to hear how it is/was for other noobs. Will my dog be freaked out? etc.

I was just trying to think-seems like I heard something when I was a kid about standing in doorways? lol. That is the extent of my earthquake knowledge. haha We are all tornado preparedness here in the South.

Lesser question-mudslides? is that a thing in the Valley?

Appreciate all input.
So you're moving to LA and you have never even visited LA?

Where will you be working? You want to keep your commute as short as possibe.

Honesly, if you are that ansty maybe you need to rethink CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
If you live near a wilderness area, you're subject to wild fires, but 99% of LA County residents don't live in wild fire prone areas.

As far as earthquakes, I lived 5 miles from the epicenter of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. The earthquake struck at 4:30 AM on a Monday, and the shaking was absolutely horrifying. At the time I lived in a 2 story condo in Sherman Oaks and was forced to move out after the quake because of structural damage. Most apartment complexes in the area suffer damage, even newer ones. Several multi-story buildings suffered partial collapse and were torn down after the quake. One story homes fared much better. People living 25 miles and beyond, from the epicenter, only felt severe shaking but little damage.

After the quake, in my area, we had no water or electricity for a week or more, and all of our stores and super markets were closed for even longer due to severe damage. We were forced to drive out of the area for groceries, gas and banking needs. In our case, we drove to Glendale for essentials. The 2 malls near my condo, the Sherman Oaks Galleria and Fashion Square Mall, suffered extensive damage and were both closed for over 2 years.

Northridge was a 6.7 earthquake. In most other places outside of California, a 6.7 earthquake in a heavily populated area would have dire consequences. In LA we've been preparing for the big one for decades, as reflected in our building codes. Sadly, 57 people lost their lives during the Northridge quake. But had it not been for our strict building codes the number would have been far greater.

Living in earthquake country we're all keenly aware the big one is coming. Scientist tell us the San Andreas Fault can trigger a massive earthquake any day now, but that could mean tomorrow, next week, or 30 years from now. All you can do is be prepared. I carry water, dry foods, first aid essentials, a blanket, a flash light and extra batteries, in duffle bag I keep in my car at all times.
I lived in Van Nuys at the time. As you said it was horrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles