Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Great article about how Bonin and Garcetti are messing up traffic even worse in this city.

Just one of many examples of bad policy being created by our city 'leaders'.

---

Bonin signed off on the elimination of 9.4 miles of traffic lanes along Venice Boulevard and the construction of 4.3 miles of dedicated bike lanes creating a new bottleneck further choking L.A.’s already choked roads. Bonin is now the focus of a potential lawsuit and growing on-line petition drive demanding his recall from office.
Mess with traffic and you mess with the DNA of Los Angeles.
Bonin has embraced Mayor Garcetti’s utopian “Vision Zero” plan, purportedly to eliminate all traffic deaths in L.A. by 2025. At least that’s how it’s being spun. The real purpose is the elimination of the private automobile as a viable means of transportation in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles is not a small Dutch village. For the vast majority of us bicycles are recreational vehicles not a viable means to get to and from work. To punish drivers without offering an alternative to the automobile is cruel and abusive.

Commuters not buying what Bonin and mayor are peddling - and pedaling: Doug McIntyre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I haven't been down Vista del Mar recently, but I did do an appraisal in Mar Vista a week ago. The backup on Venice Boulevard was unbelievable. It took 20 minutes to go a few blocks. I feel sorry for the merchants on Venice (pun intended) because I'm sure their neighborhood patrons will now try to avoid traveling on Venice Boulevard and thus stop shopping at their stores. Oh, and as per usual, there wasn't a single bicycle in sight despite the glorious new bike lanes.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Venice Blvd. is now as bad as Wilshire or Pico, thanks to Bonin.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 AM

6 posts, read 6,838 times
I love the new configuration on Venice. It feels so much safer as a pedestrian now. I walk this stretch often and have really been enjoying the new feel of the neighborhood. Prior to the new safety measures, walking this stretch has left me rattled more times than I can count - due to the aggressive motorists and out of control speeding.
Most people complaining are only concerned about their commute. However, overall safety needs to be the priority. I applaud Bonin and Garcetti(shocker) for being progressive and pioneering this change. I hope the community gives it a chance so we can improve and expand upon the new Downtown MV

Old 06-30-2017, 03:15 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir View Post
I love the new configuration on Venice. It feels so much safer as a pedestrian now. I walk this stretch often and have really been enjoying the new feel of the neighborhood. Prior to the new safety measures, walking this stretch has left me rattled more times than I can count - due to the aggressive motorists and out of control speeding.
Most people complaining are only concerned about their commute. However, overall safety needs to be the priority. I applaud Bonin and Garcetti(shocker) for being progressive and pioneering this change. I hope the community gives it a chance so we can improve and expand upon the new Downtown MV

DeShawn? Is that you?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
DeShawn? Is that you?
I don't quite understand how your question relates to the topic of this thread.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't put much confidence in Garcetti making things safer .
I know he can talk a good game ( he's a politician ) , but his track record is horrendous.
You are right he is a progressive .

He's making things in this city progressively worse . On crime , on homelessness and these traffic accidents .

"Traffic deaths in Los Angeles rose sharply despite a high-profile campaign by Mayor Eric Garcetti and other city leaders to eliminate fatal traffic crashes.

In 2016, the first full year that Garcetti’s Vision Zero policy was in effect in L.A., 260 people were killed in traffic crashes on city streets, an increase of almost 43% over the previous year."

The number of pedestrians, cyclists and drivers killed in L.A. traffic rose sharply in 2016 - LA Times

Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
This taking away traffic lanes is planned for communities all over LA. I hear they have done it in Sunland and traffic used to flow nicely is now a constant traffic jam and cars cutting through residential neighborhoods to avoid the mess endangering everyone.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM

The only person I knew that commmuted to work by bicycle ended up being hit on the way to work and killed . Being in a car in L.A is risky enough but bikes and motorcycles are even riskier .

Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
How can automobile traffic "rattle" you if you're on the sidewalk ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles