Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

194 posts, read 303,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Another trick local media uses (and it isn't just the local media here) is associating transit with crime. God help me, I was watching Fox (faux...?) News and a guy started his South L.A. crime story with: 'The Blue Line train (video of the train going by). Gangs. Violence."

And what exactly does the freaking train have to do with a shooting?
It has *nothing* to do with the shooting. They do that because they're in cahoots with the NIMBYs, who are staunchly anti-transit, and don't want potential train lines (i.e. gun-toting poor people) running thru the Westside, or other affluent areas.

It's funny because most gang bangers and drug dealers have CARS. There's *nothing* cool about public transportation to them.
I've never heard of anyone doing a drive-by out the window of a passing bus or Blue Line train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
It has *nothing* to do with the shooting. They do that because they're in cahoots with the NIMBYs, who are staunchly anti-transit, and don't want potential train lines (i.e. gun-toting poor people) running thru the Westside, or other affluent areas.

It's funny because most gang bangers and drug dealers have CARS. There's *nothing* cool about public transportation to them.
I've never heard of anyone doing a drive-by out the window of a passing bus or Blue Line train.
ROTFL. Very, very true.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
I love the "spin" our hapless mayor put on this - the "harshness" with which he condemns the perp is astounding:

"He was gunned down by someone who was close in age but who took a different path," Villaraigosa said.

Alleged gang member arrested in football star's death - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-shaw12mar12,1,4402729.story - broken link)

Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Default Because Because Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Why don't these gangs just go away!?
Most kids who join a gang are easily influenced and do not have a strong support system at home. Whether that be mom -dad -sisters -brothers -aunts -uncles -grandparents. They are troubled and find that "love" they are not getting at home can be readily given from a gang... but it comes with a heavy price. I know black and latino kids in the ghetto and they are not in gangs, why? Because their moms are super involved and would not stand for that kind of bull. Kids without excellent parental supervision, and the feeling of self worth, end up in gangs. They don't see themselves having a decent future so they throw it all away. It is tragic really.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT3LokS View Post
Why do you say if it was Latinos then its racism?
cause there are some latino gangs that are doing an "ethnic cleansing" in such places as Torrance and Carson

Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meifeng488 View Post
cause there are some latino gangs that are doing an "ethnic cleansing" in such places as Torrance and Carson
+ Northridge.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What's even scarier is if we are talking about the murder of Jamiel Shaw Jr., his father actually came on the news to point out that it was not a race thing, but a gang thing. From the LA Times Homicide report, it appears others are not buying this argument either - I have not seen as many comments posted to one case as this has. To answer your question, he was shot (allegedly) by Latino youths.

The Homicide Report : Los Angeles Times : Jamiel Shaw Jr., 17

gangs =/= racism.

I know people who knew the guy personally and they all say the attack was carried out by 18th Street latino gangbangers.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 PM

105 posts, read 482,319 times
Default Speaking of Racism...

Since I've only been in CA for a little over two weeks now I've only been reading this thread. Didn't have much to put into it but last night I went to Denny's on University in Riverside with some friends. There are all different types of stores and bars in the same area as Denny's and a club happened to be open last night. As we were walking to Denny's a burgundy car made a right turn into the parking lot. Since the windows were rolled down I could see that there were about 4 or 5 hispanic guys in the car.

As they rode past us the guy in the passenger seat said, "Man, I HATE Blacks!" Wow, having never really experienced that back at home I was shocked (Especially since they happened to be listening to Hip Hop/Rap music). One of my friends of course went off, I was too shocked to say anything about it for a few minutes. That shock turned into anger and then the anger turned into confusion. I know some hispanics don't feel that way but for the ones who do, why? What really is the point of it? Where does this hate really stem from?

It really bothers me. I'm just a happy go lucky person who loves meeting new people. I smiled at the guys in the car and even said hello. At home, I had friends of different ethnicities and everyone hung out together and there was never a problem. But it seems even though CA itself is very diverse, it's so segregated.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
some people just do it to get a reaction. they are called low lifes. jus lookin for trouble. best thing to do is ignore them. i think anyone who want to get a rise out of a black person will say something like that. whether you are white, brown or whatever. you wanna make a black person mad throw around ni**er and mission accomplished. i been called beaner or f*g even ******* and other stupid mess, its just some people are lookin for trouble. i doubt if they had been outside the car, matched one on one theyd keep their trap shut.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,210 times
Most kids who joing gangs are from single parent families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles