Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir2 View Post
The great thing about life is we all have choices. You made a choice to live in this city.

If development is too stressful for you, there are plenty of smaller scale cities for you to choose from.
Hindering traffic is an attempt to make part of the city (Mar Vista) a "smaller scale city" you are referring to. I think it is an attempt to mimic 2nd street in Long Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:11 AM

89 posts, read 68,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
There's no need for me to prove that if traffic on a street slows, traffic increases on adjacent streets. How silly.

Furthermore, the term "theory" indicates that something has been found to be scientific fact; hence, a theory is an explanation as to why something is fact. Ergo, you have stated that my statements are scientific fact. Thank you. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Regarding my behavior being selfish for having a need to use streets, what you seem to be suggesting is that I adjust my schedule according to traffic. Really? Who actually does NOT do that in he first place? But alas, you're probably new here and don't recall what traffic was like once upon a time ago. I do, and I don't need yet another non-native telling me I need to give up yet something else just because hordes of selfish people are crowding out our living space.
Its not silly at all. Unless you can back up your argument with scientifically validated statistical data, you're likely to be as incorrect as you were about where you reside.

I for one, have seen the numbers and the delay is minimal at best. (+0.30 secs)
Your observation /= fact

Also, I'm an LA native all the way. Born at Kaiser off La Cienega baby.

I get the sense you're still yearning for the good ole days.. Unfortunately, its time for you and others to let go of the past, and accept that the future of this town is being prepared for the new generation.

The city is not yours to control anymore; stagnating the progress of a world class city with antiquated views is irresponsible and no longer has a place here in LA.

Might be time for you to cash-out and head to Florida. (Thats if you own)

Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Hindering traffic is an attempt to make part of the city (Mar Vista) a "smaller scale city" you are referring to. I think it is an attempt to mimic 2nd street in Long Beach.
Smaller scale being somewhere like Fargo, North Dakota.

Plenty of open road for the traffic-averse

Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
A year after Garcetti introduced his wonderful "vision zero plan" traffic deaths ROSE 43 percent! But it sounded so nice when he announced the plan I'm sure.
I'm sure his hair and suit were perfect too .

"Traffic deaths in Los Angeles rose sharply despite a high-profile campaign by Mayor Eric Garcetti and other city leaders to eliminate fatal traffic crashes.

In 2016, the first full year that Garcetti’s Vision Zero policy was in effect in L.A., 260 people were killed in traffic crashes on city streets, an increase of almost 43% over the previous year."

He also promised to fix the homeless problem yet it has skyrocketed under him .

The number of pedestrians, cyclists and drivers killed in L.A. traffic rose sharply in 2016 - LA Times
The Great Street initiative is still in its begining stages (est. May 2017). That article isn't relevant to Mar Vista or Venice Blvd which is what were discussing.

Do you walk or bike this stretch? I do and there is a remarkable difference in safety.

If people would get out of their cars (and clearly their computer desks) they might notice the change and enjoy it - rather than simply stewing about it online.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
The Great Street initiative is still in its begining stages (est. May 2017). That article isn't relevant to Mar Vista or Venice Blvd which is what were discussing.

Do you walk or bike this stretch? I do and there is a remarkable difference in safety.

If people would get out of their cars (and clearly their computer desks) they might notice the change and enjoy it - rather than simply stewing about it online.
May 2017 ?

This article is from June 2014.. and the article mentions he first announced it in October 2013..

L.A. Mayor Garcetti identifies city's 'Great Streets' - LA Times

Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Its not silly at all. Unless you can back up your argument with scientifically validated statistical data, you're likely to be as incorrect as you were about where you reside.

I for one, have seen the numbers and the delay is minimal at best. (+0.30 secs)
Your observation /= fact

Also, I'm an LA native all the way. Born at Kaiser off La Cienega baby.

I get the sense you're still yearning for the good ole days.. Unfortunately, its time for you and others to let go of the past, and accept that the future of this town is being prepared for the new generation.

The city is not yours to control anymore; stagnating the progress of a world class city with antiquated views is irresponsible and no longer has a place here in LA.

Might be time for you to cash-out and head to Florida. (Thats if you own)
No, you don't set the goal posts. Obviously, traffic spills onto adjoining arteries. Fact.

When you're old enough to drive, you'll understand how frustrating traffic can be -- particularly when our streets were never intended for our current population density. As I've previously stated, developers have set our growth policies rather than those whose job it is to act on our best interests for the greatest good of society.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
A LAFD Captain from Station 62 actually came on the air with McIntrye to say the blockade is causing problems because his trucks and ambulances are stuck along with everybody else on the so called diet. Because cars can not even follow state law and pull to the right

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Doug McIntyre is on the radio right now 790 AM at a coffee shop there and John and Ken 640 AM were on location there talking about how the Democrats hatred for cars are taking hours away from people life's daily and that this taking away traffic lanes is planned for streets all over LA.
People are organizing to influence the politicians not to do this and to put the streets back so people can use them and a recall is getting started for the politicians involved but that doesn't seem to faze the arrogant bastards.
Giving drivers licences to 850,000 illegal aliens last year alone had to influence traffic safety.
The girl that tragically got killed on Venice blvd. was dashing across a dark street after midnight.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 07-25-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 11:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
It doesn't help we have an out of touch Mayor that thinks we've moved beyond freeways ..

“As a city and county, we’ve moved away from freeways,” said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, a Metro board member. “Voters don’t see freeways as meeting their transportation needs anymore.”

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It doesn't help we have an out of touch Mayor that thinks we've moved beyond freeways ..

“As a city and county, we’ve moved away from freeways,” said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, a Metro board member. “Voters don’t see freeways as meeting their transportation needs anymore.”
It does not cease to amaze me how out of touch Mayor Soft Serve is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles