Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times

Advertisements

guys,

please keep to the subject. it's hard to have a topical discussion here without the thread being shut down, even when it is on a subject related to life in LA. i would hate to see this one go the way of so many others because it got personal. this is a subject that, as LA residents, we need to learn how to discuss HONESTLY without people getting their panties in a knot because race is implicated. although those of us who don't live in south LA don't have to deal with it, the racial/cultural clash that is part of life there will eventually spill out to other parts of the city, and it needs to be addressed. like the original poster said, there IS an elephant in the room, but it has NOTHING to do with fashion or rims, so do try to stay on point. i enjoy and learn from reading thoughtful opinions about these matters, and i'm sure that others do, as well.

thanks to all.

Last edited by katenik; 03-12-2008 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Yeah, when compton was still more than half black populated it was all sunshine and gum drops.

And the only reason you keep getting called out is because you can't seperate the two concepts of an immigrant and a criminal. You have this ignorant idea of brown people rushing across the border to rape, pillage, and plunder.

I dont meant to attack you, but its really frustrating, and offensive.

Immigrants don't come here to live in ****ty apartments, sell drugs, and kill people.

The gang culture is very deeply rooted in LA, it has been for decades, and its here to welcome them when they get here. When they arrive here, and are treated like sub-human peasants, some of the young ones want to be "SOMEONE" and all they can do is join a gang to be recognized and feared. then the cycle starts.

The Black and Mexican communities need to work harder to make peace. They share the same neighborhoods, and deal with many of the same problems. Instead of beign scared of each other, and letting the media turn them against each other, they should do more to keep their children from being tempted to join gangs, and when you prevent that, you prevent these pointless murders.
Black woman weighing in. The problems I have with Latinos (legal or illegal)are: 1) their refusal to accept that they are in America and not whatever Latin American country they've come from, 2) their refusal to speak English and 3) their insistence on trashing whatever neighborhood they live in (actually this isn't a Latino thing, I hate littering no matter who you are) 4) The fact that they are sucking up the social service programs (yes, I hated that when black people lived generation after generation on these programs, but they didn't render them insolvent the way they are now). I would love to take advantage of the programs my tax dollars pay for, but can't because of the constant influx of people that the rules (we all live by) apparently don't apply to.

My solution: since our politicians have decided that the VOLUNTARY slave labor is more important than my tax dollars and vote, I'm taking them to a State where there are very few of the people who think the rules don't apply them live.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
guys,

please keep to the subject. it's hard to have a topical discussion here without the thread being shut down, even when it is on a subject related to life in LA. i would hate to see this one go the way of so many others because it got personal. this is a subject that, as LA residents, we need to learn how to discuss HONESTLY without people getting their panties in a knot because race is implicated. although those of us who don't live in south LA don't have to deal with it, the racial/cultural clash that is part of life there will eventually spill out to other parts of the city, and it needs to be addressed. like the original poster said, there IS an elephant in the room, but it has NOTHING to do with fashion or rims, so do try to stay on point. i enjoy and learn from reading thoughtful opinions about these matters, and i'm sure that others do, as well.

thanks to all.

Brown and Black relations is on subject, and in this case it is the subject.

Imagine how much progress can be made if those two communites worked TOGETHER to work on fixing the neighborhoods they share. Prevent kids from joining gangs,and doing horrible things like this murder.

Instead both are quick to point the finger at the other, letting the media affect their views on each other.

Ive seen it before, and the irony of it is insane! Mexicans not trusting blacks, because the media depicts them as criminals. Blacks not trusting Mexicans because the media depicts them as illegals taking all the jobs and criminals.

Both groups think they are better than the other, but trust me, to the police and backwards thinking people, we might as well be one in the same.

It might seem trivial discussing things like fashion and "rims", but the point is, the younger generation of African-Americans and Mexican-Americans have much in common and face so many of the same obstacles. We're not as different from each other as say our grandfather's were. We've grown up with the same issues: drugs, poverty, gang culture, discrimination, etc etc.

As for the youth, we've influenced each other in many ways, yet still clash.

The news is really sensationalizing these stories. A race war?

All theyre doing is playing on tensions that are deep rooted in places like South Central. And building it up.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Brown and Black relations is on subject, and in this case it is the subject.
Imagine how much progress can be made if those two communites worked TOGETHER to work on fixing the neighborhoods they share. Prevent kids from joining gangs,and doing horrible things like this murder.

Instead both are quick to point the finger at the other, letting the media affect their views on each other.

Ive seen it before, and the irony of it is insane! Mexicans not trusting blacks, because the media depicts them as criminals. Blacks not trusting Mexicans because the media depicts them as illegals taking all the jobs and criminals.

Both groups think they are better than the other, but trust me, to the police and backwards thinking people, we might as well be one in the same.

It might seem trivial discussing things like fashion and "rims", but the point is, the younger generation of African-Americans and Mexican-Americans have much in common and face so many of the same obstacles. We're not as different from each other as say our grandfather's were. We've grown up with the same issues: drugs, poverty, gang culture, discrimination, etc etc.

As for the youth, we've influenced each other in many ways, yet still clash.

The news is really sensationalizing these stories. A race war?

All theyre doing is playing on tensions that are deep rooted in places like South Central. And building it up.
i was referring to the tangent about low riders and clothing styles, and who stole what from whom, which was NOT on topic!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Sadly, it's called divide and conquer. It's a method that was employed to pit Blacks against each other (Light skin vs Dark skin) and now it's being used to pit Blacks vs. Latinos

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Black woman weighing in. The problems I have with Latinos (legal or illegal)are: 1) their refusal to accept that they are in America and not whatever Latin American country they've come from, 2) their refusal to speak English and 3) their insistence on trashing whatever neighborhood they live in (actually this isn't a Latino thing, I hate littering no matter who you are) 4) The fact that they are sucking up the social service programs (yes, I hated that when black people lived generation after generation on these programs, but they didn't render them insolvent the way they are now). I would love to take advantage of the programs my tax dollars pay for, but can't because of the constant influx of people that the rules (we all live by) apparently don't apply to.

My solution: since our politicians have decided that the VOLUNTARY slave labor is more important than my tax dollars and vote, I'm taking them to a State where there are very few of the people who think the rules don't apply them live.
i'm sure you have your reasons for leaving, but doesn't it make you at least a little sad to be in a position where you feel you must leave because it isn't your city anymore? i was born elsewhere, but i have lived here since i was old enough to know where i lived (over thirty years), and it's the place i miss whenever i spend too much time away. i love LA, and i refuse to leave it because i am outnumbered (what are we, 8% now?), or even outgunned. someone has to stay and prevent it from becoming the third-world cesspool that people in the rest of the country already think it is.

didn't you say you were moving to arkansas? you know who provides the labor at tyson, don't you?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Yes it is sad and my mother is pulling out all stops to keep me here. (she hasn't complained in a week - that won't last) I've lived in Los Angeles 35 of 39 years. I watch them build Century City. I would love to stay but unless you have an organization who is ready to fight the developers and the powers that be, I don't see how my staying and being unhappy changes anything.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes it is sad and my mother is pulling out all stops to keep me here. (she hasn't complained in a week - that won't last) I've lived in Los Angeles 35 of 39 years. I watch them build Century City. I would love to stay but unless you have an organization who is ready to fight the developers and the powers that be, I don't see how my staying and being unhappy changes anything.
you're probably correct, but you know how if you see someone every day, it's harder to notice that he is gaining/losing weight than if you haven't seen him for a while? well, i know that if i leave, i will eventually return, and the changes will be more noticeable and depressing to me, so i stay and cling to those bits that are still familiar and welcoming. yeah, it's a head game, but i REALLY don't want to live anywhere else. i've thought about leaving many times, and even believed that i would about two years ago, but i always find a reason not to do it.

good luck to you, though.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Sadly, it's called divide and conquer. It's a method that was employed to pit Blacks against each other (Light skin vs Dark skin) and now it's being used to pit Blacks vs. Latinos
Pretty much. And a lot of Black and Brown folk are playing directly into that.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:

You are right, Blacks and illegal and legal Hispanics act much the same way. And it's hard to tell the deference between their neighborhoods other than whom is on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles