Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,567,164 times

Advertisements

Trashy people are trashy people, no matter what their race. White people can be just as bad at littering, not taking care of their neighborhoods, etc. It has more to do with education and socio-economic status, not to mention the quality of an individual person. I understand the despair and hopelessness of people who decide to leave L.A., because it does feel like no one listens. Our local government is useless; does anyone even know what the L.A. City Council does?? I sure don't!

Katenik, thank you for stepping in and getting this thread back on topic. If it goes off topic again, everyone, I'll have to start deleting posts. Thank you!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Are you African-American...just curious to see how someone of color felt about this tragedy compared to a Caucasian(myself)...I personally can't imagine what the poor mother is feeling (serving her country honorable)...it is horrible...I dunno if the death penalty is necessarily the answer but I want to see justice...swift justice...do you know if this person was in the country legally? Thanks

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.. THAT PERSON WAS NOT IN AMERICA ILLEGALY!!!! IM TIRED OF PEOPLE BLAMING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ON EVERY CRIME THAT EVER HAPPENS!!!!! NOT ONLY ILLEGALS COMMIT CRIMES!!!!!! MOST OF THE CRIMES COMMITED IN AMERICA ARE FROM CITIZENS!!!! I AM A HISPANIC WOMAN WHO CAME FROM IMMIGRANTS.... I WAS BORIN IN THE US AND I HAVE SEEN MY FAMILY STRUGGLE IN AMERICA TO HAVE A DECENT LIFE!!! ITS NOT FAIR FOR THEM TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH SO MUCH FOR LITTLE OR NO RESPECT!!! WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND WE ALL DESERVE TO BE TREATED THE SAME!!!! EVERYONE IN AMERICA CAME FROM IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS SO THERE IS NO REASON FOR PEOPLE TO JUDGE THE ONES THAT ARE JUST COMING TO AMERICA TO LIVE BETTER LIVES!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,223,289 times
chill out, you're going to ruin this thread.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,677,815 times
ok so this is very similar to another thread, so i will say what i said in that one... THERE IS NO RACE WAR!!!!
this is a gang thing. we can have the best race relations between blacks and browns, but until we stem the gang influence or prison influence on the street then it will all be the same.
the majority of mexicans do not hate blacks and visa versa. i have been around both groups all my life and the times i have been accosted it has been by someone my own color!
MOST LOS ANGELES CRIME/ROBBERY/HOMICIDE HAPPENS BROWN 0N BROWN OR BLACK ON BLACK.
the few times it crosses the color lines it gets played up in the media. DONT BUY INTO THE HYPE. THERE IS NO RACE WAR.
this may have been a race motivated crime, but that ultimately lies in the fact that he probably came outta jail with some orders from the gangs to kill someone slightly darker than him. this was a tragedy and i hope they got the right guy and i hope he feels good knowing he's gunna be takin orders on the inside now. as well as taking some d*ck. he messed up so many lives for no reason.
remember gangs dont take orders from the general people, or the mayor or the police or dolores huerta or anyone, they take orders from the jefes.
and lets make sure to differentiate between people here illegally and street criminals.
we can have a smarter coversation once we realize that.
criminals come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

as for anyone trying to say that mexicans are reaping the benefits of the black struggle. well an interesting point to note is that schools in california were desegregated in santa ana in the 40's. it was a mexicans family that wanted to have their kids in a white school.
also...
in the 40's anti-miscegenation laws in cali were struck down when a mexican woman(seen as white[what a double standard]) wanted to marry an african american man. perez v. sharp

Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,677,815 times
perez v. sharp is an example of bRown and black working together to solve issues we both face. If it happened in the early civil rights movement, why cant we have that now? lets work together and realize our likeness rather than pick our differences. some posters here would like us to keep fighting therefore i wont post here anymore so that others wont have to read such vile garbage written by others. it does not help the cause.

IF YOU AINT PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

29 posts, read 78,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Give me a break man.

If anything, dont develop a superiority complex.
Black culture has contributed a lot to urban culture, but dont say Mexicans "emulate how we speak and dress", or "want to be me".

In the 90s, when the West coast urban culture was most prominent, where did it get most of its influence? The Nike Cortezes, the flannel shirts, "LOCS" as in "locos", tattoos. The only thing west coast style that didnt have latino influence was the Geri Curl, haha.

And funny how you say "drive better cars". All that Pimp My Ride stuff got its influence from Low Rider culture that everyone knows is something latinos contributed to urban culture. We taught you guys how to take pride in your rides.
you gave us music, we gave you style. And instead of complimenting each other, you wanna take credit and call everyone else a biter.

Don't knock us. We've borrowed a lot from each other's cultures and should see ourselves as more in common instead of hating each other.

And lets not forget, there are lots of black immigrants too. Somalians,Ethiopians, West Africans. And theyre getting the same bs that Latinos immigrants get in this country.

Its like guys with your kind of attitude are so desperate to get out of America's social gutter, that they wanna step on a Latinos head to boost them out.
I don't want to get off topic here. But you obviously don't know Black culture if you think we don't take pride in our cars and know how to dress, if anything Black music and dressing goes hand in hand. As for pride in our cars, that isn’t just Black, that’s a slice of Americana. Americans love their cars.

As for how you speak, you damn for sure not speaking "White", and you definitely not speaking Spanish when you talk to me or others who don't speak Spanish, so what's left, yes Black speak/slang. As far "locos tattoos", and flannel shirts, that's it, come on. There is more to dressing and styling than a loco tattoo and flannel shirts. I would be hard pressed to go to Mexico to find someone dress in a flannel shirt.

I give you credit for contributing to urban culture, but don't exaggerate. Now back on topic to "Football Star Slain".

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM

493 posts, read 638,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seNia2008 View Post
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.. THAT PERSON WAS NOT IN AMERICA ILLEGALY!!!! IM TIRED OF PEOPLE BLAMING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ON EVERY CRIME THAT EVER HAPPENS!!!!! NOT ONLY ILLEGALS COMMIT CRIMES!!!!!! MOST OF THE CRIMES COMMITED IN AMERICA ARE FROM CITIZENS!!!! I AM A HISPANIC WOMAN WHO CAME FROM IMMIGRANTS.... I WAS BORIN IN THE US AND I HAVE SEEN MY FAMILY STRUGGLE IN AMERICA TO HAVE A DECENT LIFE!!! ITS NOT FAIR FOR THEM TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH SO MUCH FOR LITTLE OR NO RESPECT!!! WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND WE ALL DESERVE TO BE TREATED THE SAME!!!! EVERYONE IN AMERICA CAME FROM IMMIGRANT ANCESTORS SO THERE IS NO REASON FOR PEOPLE TO JUDGE THE ONES THAT ARE JUST COMING TO AMERICA TO LIVE BETTER LIVES!!!!!!!!
Allright, I asked a question...I don't live there...I keep up with the news by means of the internet...cnn and msnbc also ran something, as far your statement goes...about illegals...well...you are wrong, but will say two things...1. I think illegal immigration is something to be looked at in terms of black/latino violence...and violence towards other people...illegal aliens do commit crimes at a higher percentage than legal persons...(their mere prescence here is a crime)2. I have distant family in Mexico...I don't come here brining anti-mexican bigotry, but I am one of many who is now attempting to bring light to a bad situation, so I brought up whether this kid was an illegal or not because I think it is important in pertaining to this issue...my post may have gotten somewhat off topic, but still I think the issue needs to be analyzed...I realize LA has a big latino population...I hope all of the latinos that I would encounter there are proud americans (maybe a pipe dream)...I can't wait to sample the mexican cuisine and compare it to North Texas' mexican cuisine,
god bless,
peace...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM

493 posts, read 638,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Trashy people are trashy people, no matter what their race. White people can be just as bad at littering, not taking care of their neighborhoods, etc. It has more to do with education and socio-economic status, not to mention the quality of an individual person. I understand the despair and hopelessness of people who decide to leave L.A., because it does feel like no one listens. Our local government is useless; does anyone even know what the L.A. City Council does?? I sure don't!

Katenik, thank you for stepping in and getting this thread back on topic. If it goes off topic again, everyone, I'll have to start deleting posts. Thank you!
If you believe the LA Government is so useless, why not start a movement within the city to change it...I had the feeling most la folks thought the mayor was useless...and he is living in a nice mansion that is owned by the taxpayers of the city (I believe that is the case). Vote him out...start a movement...It's never too late to emulate activism in the form of MLK, RFK, and the like...

Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,499,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seNia2008 View Post
NOT ONLY ILLEGALS COMMIT CRIMES, They commit a crime when they chose to become illegal.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:26 PM

30 posts, read 294,850 times
This isn't the city governments responsiblity to fix. they couldnt fix it if they wanted to.It is up to each of us.No where in this thread did anyone mention about the fathers of these gangbangers,I know some of them are in prison themselves.If there is a strong male presence in the house,these crimes wouldnt happen. the father of the african american male was doing his part,to show his son right from wrong and keep him in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles