Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Interesting. Explain, please.
Trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Trees.
Can I have a bit more?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Can I have a bit more?
"Trees can cool a city by up to 10°F by shading homes and streets, breaking up urban “heat islands” and releasing water vapor into the air through their leaves. "

https://www.friendsofgriffithpark.or...heaps-of-help/

Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 PM

89 posts, read 68,472 times
Quote:
The southeast Valley may be the most centrally located region in L.A.

Studio City is one of the most expensive parts of the Valley, probably second only to neighboring Toluca Lake.

While some parts of the westside may be more centrally located like Culver City or Beverly Hills - Brentwood, Santa Monica, and the Palisades are cut off from the rest of the city by traffic. While Santa Monica has the Metro, Brentwood and the Palisades do not making them further isolated. By contrast Studio City has easy access to downtown, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Burbank, Pasadena,,,,,
That title belongs to Mid-City.

No one is saying Studio City isnt a pricey neighborhood, I think all of LA has experienced a boom in property values recently. However its still pretty small scale compared to the juggernats on the westside so many of the new valley residents have been priced out of.

Living near Hollywood can be a bonus I guess? Depending on ones taste.. However any attempt to simply leave the area is met with steep terrain and/or some of the worst traffic in all of LA( The 101).

I for one, prefer an ocean breeze and the relatively short commute the westside provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
You obviously haven't spent a lot of time in Studio City. The neighborhoods, with their tree lined streets and old houses are absolutely beautiful. And the concentration of good restaurants along Ventura Blvd, in Studio City, rivals anything on the westside. The west side, with all it's strip malls, feels much more suburban to me than does Studio City. An added bonus is the Red line subway (Universal/Studio City Station) which connects the core of the city to Studio City.
Ive spent plenty of time there, like I said earlier the property values speak for themselves.
For a lot of people moving to the SFV is considered a major down-grade..
Although rising property values have changed that notion a bit. Even still, Studio City is about as urban as it gets for the Valley lol. Nothing on Ventura compares to or even has the appeal of Westside districts such as Abbot Kinney, Promenade, OFW, Main street etc.

The shopping and dining on Ventura is nice enough for the locals but its not exactly a must visit destination.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,507 times
Quote:
"Trees can cool a city by up to 10°F by shading homes and streets, breaking up urban “heat islands” and releasing water vapor into the air through their leaves. "

https://www.friendsofgriffithpark.or...heaps-of-help/
Thank you for the answer and the website! Good stuff.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir2 View Post

Although rising property values have changed that notion a bit. Even still, Studio City is about as urban as it gets for the Valley lol. Nothing on Ventura compares to or even has the appeal of Westside districts such as Abbot Kinney, Promenade, OFW, Main street etc.

The shopping and dining on Ventura is nice enough for the locals but its not exactly a must visit destination.
Oooh! Oooh! Burn!!!

The great thing about this free country of ours, is you are free to live and dine and shop on your beloved Westside.

The Promenade is lame, that's only for tourists.
The women on Abbot Kinney, have dirty feet and don't even wear makeup. We can go on an Audubon field trip, and I am totally confident I can prove my case.

I love Main Street. You can find me at Ricks Tavern on Main. You can find me at Brick n Mortar. But the Circle Bar don't even open till 9pm. How is that 'stunning nightlife'?

Firefly. Firefly in Studio City blows everything on Main Street away.

But both Studio City/Valley & the Westside are second tier compared to Hollyweird + DTLA. I'm glad we have this great city of ours, with so much to choose from. One has only to go on a trip to one of the flyover states, and see nothing but miles of Chili's and Buffalo Wild Wings, and say 'This is wack, I can't wait to get back home, mang!"

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 PM

567 posts, read 430,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlnoir2 View Post
That title belongs to Mid-City.

No one is saying Studio City isnt a pricey neighborhood, I think all of LA has experienced a boom in property values recently. However its still pretty small scale compared to the juggernats on the westside so many of the new valley residents have been priced out of.

Living near Hollywood can be a bonus I guess? Depending on ones taste.. However any attempt to simply leave the area is met with steep terrain and/or some of the worst traffic in all of LA( The 101).

I for one, prefer an ocean breeze and the relatively short commute the westside provides.

Ive spent plenty of time there, like I said earlier the property values speak for themselves.

I like Abbot Kenny in Venice and have been there a few times. But there are Abbot Kenny type places throughout the city and beyond. Studio City has a smaller version of Abbot Kenny, Tujunga-Moorpark Village, and just down the road is the NoHo Arts District, which is very popular and has a much more urban vibe than does Abbot Kenny.

Aside from the Getty Center, 3rd Street Promenade, Beverly Hills, and the Venice Boardwalk, what else is a must see on the Westside? Universal Studios, in the east valley and adjacent to Studio City, attracts way more tourists than those four places combined. Those same tourists can be found eating at the numerous restaurants along Ventura Blvd in Studio City, and the touristy Hollywood/Highland area, right next door to Studio City.

I like the west side, I just wouldn't live there. If I could afford it and wanted to live near the ocean I'd live in Manhattan or Hermosa Beach, not Venice or Santa Monica.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Griffith Park is the reason why South Burbank, Toluca Lake, and Studio City have the nicest weather in the San Fernando Valley.
I Agree. The abundance of trees throughout those neigborhoods make a huge difference.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Studio City prices are pretty close to Westside prices these days . Hard to find something under $1.2 million .

Can get to Hollywood , Downtown etc quicker from studio city than the Westside .
If any part of the city is disconnected from old core of the city, it's the westside and San Pedro areas, not the east valley neighborhoods of Studio City, Toluca Lake and NoHo. Those areas of the east valley are very connected to the city and the subway red line has re-enforced that connection.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,534 times
This thread was much more entertaining than I thought it would be. Nice to see some push back on the constant bitching and moaning around here. And I do like a good Westside vs. the Valley show down.

Me, I would take Studio City over the Westside any day of the week. But I'm happy where I'm at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles