Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you trade the Clippers for a LA Football Team?
The Lakers are good enough for me (Yes) 17 73.91%
Laka, Please... (No) 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:06 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,674,370 times
im fine with SC and ucla. thats all the fake football i need. now for real football... its the chivas 1st then galaxy. we got two teams there. we can have 2 basket ball teams as well. we are a big city after all.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM

493 posts, read 638,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I thought that the Clippers were LA's team of choice. Who are those other guys? LOL

My thoughts are that LA also has a great Baseball team and the Angels it aint. Why can't they just call themselves what they are, the Aneheim Angels.
My Understanding is, is that the people of Orange County preferred Anaheim or California, but their business oriented owner decided it was better for his bottom line if he marketed it to the entire metropolitan area...which Orange County and Los Angeles County are part of...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,215,297 times
The city of Anaheim was actually going to sue the Angels when they changed their name, unfotunately the language in the contract between the city and the team did not disallow (sorry for the double negative) this as long as Anaheim was in the team name, hence the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Also in Oxnard where I live the Cowboys will be back this year for their training camp. Not sure on the dates, but if you haven't gone before try it out. I live near the training facility and my kids love visiting. The Cowboys know how to put on a good show for the entire family.
Had to repost this great shot:

Came across this classic shot of when the Dallas Cowboys practiced at California Lutheran University (then called California Lutheran College). Note the CLC on Mount Clef Ridge. The legendary Roger Staubach #12, Tom Landry and I think Craig Morton #14. That might be Dan Reeves #30 in the background, not sure.
Growing up a Rams fan I always hated Dallas but this picture is great.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/wallpaper/img/cowboys/hof/roger_staubach6_1024.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-22-2008, 02:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,580,521 times
Like people said LAC is "the people's team"
Still a fan of my last place,getting booed at home Clippers.And I don't even live in LA County.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,045,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
clips should be in anaheim anyways.. anaheim is trying to get seattle instead though
i always wondered why the clips don't make the honda center their full-time home; i know they played a few games in anaheim in the '90s, but stopped once they moved into the staples center.

besides the fact that the lakers have historically been far more successful on the court and at the turnstiles, sharing an arena with them reinforces the perception that the clips are the ugly stepchild of la basketball. why not move into a different arena where they'll be the sole basketball tenant? they might be able to reinvent their image and capture some more of the OC fanbase if they played down there full-time. i realize that they probably won't ever get out of the lakers' considerable shadow, but moving to their own place might allow them to erase the impression that they're content to be la's sloppy seconds.

as for football, it's ridiculous that there still isn't an nfl team in la. a few months ago, i wrote a post speculating about the rams' chances of moving back to la now that owner georgia frontiere has passed away, based on some media buzz about the matter at that time. since then, i haven't heard anything, though.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,580,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i always wondered why the clips don't make the honda center their full-time home; i know they played a few games in anaheim in the '90s, but stopped once they moved into the staples center.

besides the fact that the lakers have historically been far more successful on the court and at the turnstiles, sharing an arena with them reinforces the perception that the clips are the ugly stepchild of la basketball. why not move into a different arena where they'll be the sole basketball tenant? they might be able to reinvent their image and capture some more of the OC fanbase if they played down there full-time. i realize that they probably won't ever get out of the lakers' considerable shadow, but moving to their own place might allow them to erase the impression that they're content to be la's sloppy seconds.

as for football, it's ridiculous that there still isn't an nfl team in la. a few months ago, i wrote a post speculating about the rams' chances of moving back to la now that owner georgia frontiere has passed away, based on some media buzz about the matter at that time. since then, i haven't heard anything, though.
I agree with the whole LAC and Honda Center thing.If they move I hope they go somewhere like OKC,LV,or JAX.Those cities esp. LV and OKC just want any kind of the major 4 to play in there city so there should be good support there.
AS for football LA is Raider Nation hands down.Raiders fans(not a fan-Like the Chargers) have to be the most loyal fans of any pro team I have seen.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Biggest win in LA Clippers history?

Clippers halt the red-hot Heat, 111-105 - latimes.com

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,896,898 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. The clippers give good balance to the lakers.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. The clippers give good balance to the lakers.

I'd like to see the clippers move to the Pond in OC. Get out of the Lakers shadow, establish their own idenity, disassociate with Staples/Lakers. More balance geographically plus they could even pick up some San Diego people as fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles