Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,599,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Xanathos seems to be mistaken or telling a bit of a fib IMO.

Amazon has claimed HQ2 will have 50,000 jobs. They can't all be Senior Software Brogrammers.

Google's Mountain View campus only has 11,000 staff.

So Xanathos is claiming that Amazon needs 5 times that amount of technical staff for it's second HQ?

Doesn't make any sense. Some of those jobs will certainly be support jobs.
One of us lived in Seattle for 7 years, spent a lot of time in the SLU campus, got relentlessly recruited over those 7 years, and knows dozens of people who works at Amazon and knows what they do there.

The other is you.

You're wrong. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. That there are a few staff that supports the engineers (which I mentioned in my first post a while ago) does not mean they make up the majority of the campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,023,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
One of us lived in Seattle for 7 years, spent a lot of time in the SLU campus, got relentlessly recruited over those 7 years, and knows dozens of people who works at Amazon and knows what they do there.

The other is you.

You're wrong. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. That there are a few staff that supports the engineers (which I mentioned in my first post a while ago) does not mean they make up the majority of the campus.
Ah, you know a "friend of a friend" who works there. I just found 161 support jobs on Amazon Seattle's job website that you said didn't exist.

I'm not sure you are as reliable a source of info as you're presenting. Sorry.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't know what HQ2 is going to be for. Haven't worked for another company in over 15 years, and I'm 3 months from exiting the one I co-founded nearly 10 years ago (double trigger exit). So I admit I haven't been tossing around resumes for top tech companies recently.

If what you say is true, then why isn't Silicon Valley on the list, and 50,000 "Brogrammers"?

Doesn't make sense to me.
One of the biggest drivers behind Amazon wanting to set up a 2nd facility is that the cost of living in Seattle has gotten so bad (it's more expensive there than it is here, in case you were wondering), that they're having a hard time getting out of state talent to agree to come work there, and the workers they have are leaving to go to more affordable locations. Silicon Valley is the antithesis of that.

So is LA, FWIW, which is why we're not going to "win". Neither are the 3 DC locations. Or Boston. Etc. You can shrink that list of 20 down to a handful just off applying some common sense. These other players are there just to provide competition and to squeak better tax incentives from the "winning" city.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Ah, you know a "friend of a friend" who works there. I just found 161 support jobs on Amazon Seattle's job website that you said didn't exist.

I'm not sure you are as reliable a source of info as you're presenting. Sorry.

See bold:

Quote:
It's devs, managers, data scientists, leaders, and thought workers with the necessary support staff to make it all work.
At this point, you've crossed over from merely being ignorant (forgivable) to being willfully ignorant, which should be a crime. I think we're done.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,696,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
In my opinion...I think somewhere in Texas,Georgia or Florida will get The Amazon HQ2....I even think Amazon wants their new headquarters with more reliable weather conditions,so I don't think the Northeast or Midwest is gonna win this.
Florida has reliable weather conditions?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
One of the biggest drivers behind Amazon wanting to set up a 2nd facility is that the cost of living in Seattle has gotten so bad (it's more expensive there than it is here, in case you were wondering), that they're having a hard time getting out of state talent to agree to come work there, and the workers they have are leaving to go to more affordable locations. Silicon Valley is the antithesis of that.

So is LA, FWIW, which is why we're not going to "win". Neither are the 3 DC locations. Or Boston. Etc. You can shrink that list of 20 down to a handful just off applying some common sense. These other players are there just to provide competition and to squeak better tax incentives from the "winning" city.
That makes sense. That's why I don't think any California location would win (and stated so in the beginning of the thread).

Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,696,827 times
Quote:

DC while expensive has the advantage of the federal government being right there, which is convenient for any future political favors Amazon may need.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
See bold:

At this point, you've crossed over from merely being ignorant (forgivable) to being willfully ignorant, which should be a crime. I think we're done.
Hey, relax. I just disagreed with your statement that it would be 50,000 brogrammers.

There will be lots of lower paid support positions. I don't know the mixture, but 161 open positions is a lot of open support positions during any hiring period.

Just admit you miscalculated in your original statement. It's okay to be wrong bro.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Hey, relax. I just disagreed with your statement that it would be 50,000 brogrammers.

There will be lots of lower paid support positions. I don't know the mixture, but 161 open positions is a lot of open support positions during any hiring period.

Just admit you miscalculated in your original statement. It's okay to be wrong bro.
Except I'm not. Unless you've been to Seattle recently and, more specifically, been to SLU, you can't really appreciate just what it is they're doing there. That there are presently 161 support staff openings just shows that they've got 2 new buildings they've constructed that are about to "go live", and the cranes have moved towards standing up a couple of more. I haven't NOT seen a crane putting up a new Amazon building on their SLU campus in years.

All said and told, Amazon has about 60,000 people working in the greater Seattle area, and at least 90% of those people are brogrammers, operations experts, executives, etc. Your entire argument was predicated upon the brogrammer being .01% of the jobs Amazon is going to be filling, and that's just so blatantly incorrect that it showed the worst kind of argument - not only not knowing anything about the infrastructure, but still feeling qualified to go public and blast to the world what you think it is. You're literally fake news. Spreading that kind of misinformation is just the worst.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Except I'm not. Unless you've been to Seattle recently and, more specifically, been to SLU, you can't really appreciate just what it is they're doing there. That there are presently 161 support staff openings just shows that they've got 2 new buildings they've constructed that are about to "go live", and the cranes have moved towards standing up a couple of more. I haven't NOT seen a crane putting up a new Amazon building on their SLU campus in years.

All said and told, Amazon has about 60,000 people working in the greater Seattle area, and at least 90% of those people are brogrammers, operations experts, executives, etc. Your entire argument was predicated upon the brogrammer being .01% of the jobs Amazon is going to be filling, and that's just so blatantly incorrect that it showed the worst kind of argument - not only not knowing anything about the infrastructure, but still feeling qualified to go public and blast to the world what you think it is. You're literally fake news. Spreading that kind of misinformation is just the worst.
Hey you could be right, but 1) You don't work at Amazon, just "know people", then you claimed 2) There wouldn't be support positions, yet I found nearly 200 open just randomly.

If you don't know, why not just say you don't know?

I don't honestly care, like I said, I'm 2 months from my double trigger exit. You obviously care a lot. Good luck getting a job at Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles