Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
One problem: Amazon said they are looking for a place that is walkable and transit accessible. So how the hell did LA even make this top 20 list? I know, i know its walkable for sheltered Angelenos that have never left the state...

I feel like this list is just a ransom for cities theyre actually interested in on the east coast that are walkable and well-educated (NOT LA), to give lots of incentives and tax cuts.

Lets be honest, half these small town places have no chance (I would include LA w that).
L.A has added a lot of transit recently . Where did Amazon say they want a place that is "walkable "
I doubt all their Seattle employees at HQ walk to work .

L.A the 2nd largest city in America is a "small town place " ?

None of the places listed are considered small towns .

Why did you move to L.A if you look down on it and "Angelenos" so much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
One problem: Amazon said they are looking for a place that is walkable and transit accessible. So how the hell did LA even make this top 20 list? I know, i know its walkable for sheltered Angelenos that have never left the state...

I feel like this list is just a ransom for cities theyre actually interested in on the east coast that are walkable and well-educated (NOT LA), to give lots of incentives and tax cuts.

Lets be honest, half these small town places have no chance (I would include LA w that).
I’m from the east coast and completely disagree regarding your characterization of LA, but agree with the rest. None of this would be necessary if amazon were locating HQ2 in a low tax state. They’re moving to a high tax state and are looking for concessions. Not necessarily the NE though.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
I don’t like our chances but I just realized how well a DTLA location fits in with amazon. In the arts district Row DTLA opens later this year with over 1 million square feet of creative office space becoming available. Right next door is the 15 acre 6am project which can be repurposed for several million square feet of office space. Add in that LA is the headquarters for amazons movie business and the fact that LA can more easily absorb a large number of people than most places and that there is already an existing building boom and why not LA?

We have the most and closest flight connections to Seattle. Bezos lives here part time. I’ve thought from the beginning that Bezos wanted a lower cost city. Atlanta was and still is my favorite. Maybe Dallas or Austin. But if they really want a low tax states like those, is all of this even necessary? Maybe they’re really looking at an expensive high tax state (California, NY, Illinois)?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM

307 posts, read 242,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's what people don't realize. The vast majority of these jobs will not be Senior Software Engineers making $150,000/year. Those will be 0.01% of the jobs.

Most will be entry level logistics people making $55,000/year or jobs on that level.

You want someone making $55,000/year trying to scrape by in LA, living in the hood, dodging bullets on their way to work? How does that even make sense.
Stop it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles