Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,696,499 times

Advertisements

L.A will most likely not vet this. Their headquarters are in Seattle, I would think they would go for Midwest or East for their second headquarter.

And that is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,398,133 times
I dont think Amazon HQ is going to come to LA.
But Amazon might increase its presence in it's media market. Currently headquarters for Amazon Studios is in Santa Monica along with Hulu.
Google moved to playa vista along with Youtube.
Netflix moved to Hollywood.
Facebook is looking into Culver City.

A lot of big tech companies are expanding where tech meets media. Even major TV networks are getting into this game like CBS all access.

Anyway, Amazon's choice wont have huge impacts in major cities like LA, NY, Chicago, Boston or DC where there is already huge populations, larger cost of housing/living, taxes, etc. The smaller cities on the list would have major impacts.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:40 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,596,908 times
^As someone who experienced firsthand what Amazon did to Seattle (which is not a small city by any stretch), I can tell you unequivocally that they have a massive impact. Now, some of it is quite good (my salary jumped by leaps and bounds every year because all the tech companies had to man up to try and compete with Amazon's stock awards), but most of it was pretty terrible.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,544,619 times
It'll be interesting to see where they end up picking .
I think it would be more beneficial for some of the other cities versus L.A

All the cities on the top 20 seem to have pretty strong economies though .

I think if they opened in the Midwest it would be great and help encourage more tech in the area .

Old 01-19-2018, 09:18 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,843,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
L.A will most likely not vet this. Their headquarters are in Seattle, I would think they would go for Midwest or East for their second headquarter.

And that is a good thing.
The choice has nothing to do with geographic location. It's all about economics and talent pool. The places being considered have lots of tech related industry so they have talent pools. But a place that is more business friendly then CA will probably win. Sounds like Raleigh is the leading candidate

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,544,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The choice has nothing to do with geographic location. It's all about economics and talent pool. The places being considered have lots of tech related industry so they have talent pools. But a place that is more business friendly then CA will probably win. Sounds like Raleigh is the leading candidate
Also I would think they would want their employees to be able to live decently and although the HQ salaries will be high might not be high enough to be able to live decently in L.A

Raleigh is a lot more affordable. I've heard good things about the city but never been there .

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,015,389 times
LA does not have a shot of landing HQ2.

It would be like shoveling hundreds of millions of dollars into a furnace for Amazon. Corporate HQs are leaving CA in droves. Bezos may be a lefty but he's not going to throw money away.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,843,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Also I would think they would want their employees to be able to live decently and although the HQ salaries will be high might not be high enough to be able to live decently in L.A

Raleigh is a lot more affordable. I've heard good things about the city but never been there .
Amazon isn't exactly known for good pay or treating employees well. But Raleigh is an affordable up and coming area. Redhat is based there and they are one of the biggest tech companies. They also have a growing Indian population due to tech jobs already there and that will make it easier to recruit Indian programmers and IT workers

Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,675,325 times
Quote:
It has a lot to do with geographic location as a hub in the Eastern or Central time zones will be more advantageous to Amazon's customers than a second hub in the Pacific time zone.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,596,908 times
Quote:
Amazon isn't exactly known for good pay or treating employees well. But Raleigh is an affordable up and coming area. Redhat is based there and they are one of the biggest tech companies. They also have a growing Indian population due to tech jobs already there and that will make it easier to recruit Indian programmers and IT workers
First off, Raleigh, according to most, is one of the biggest longshots of the group, because it's a 5.5 hour flight between the two cities. That's too long to have an executive in the air. There's also the drama around having to deal with protesters for putting up a business in a state with a bathroom bill, because that's just the most important issue the world has ever known, apparently. Raleigh (should call it Raleigh/Durham, since they're intermingled) is positively lovely, though, if you can get past the humidity. It's a strong tech hub, but it's mostly biotech. Amazon would be setting up shop there in the hopes of poaching people from Red Hat, Cisco, and a couple others that have outposts there.

Second, "Amazon isn't exactly known for good pay"? Warehouse workers, sure, but this isn't a warehouse. It's going to be a corporate HQ loaded with techies. Amazon pays these people incredibly well. The salary cap isn't that high ($165,000 last time I was felt out almost a year ago), but they more than make up for it with absolutely ludicrous stock awards that push the salaries up to over $300,000 for your run-of-the-mill dev. It is a meat grinder, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles