Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a ticket in Santa Clarita a few months ago for speeding. The ticket is around $240. I set up a court date tomorrow to set up another court date to fight the ticket. My question should I just suck up the costs and pay the ticket? Or is there a good chance the cop won't show up and I can automatically win? If anybody has experience or knowledge about this please let me know. I've heard that in LA county is pretty much mandatory cops show when people are contesting tickets so I would have a very little chance of winning and would essentially be wasting my time...sespecially since I live an hour away from Santa Clarita. Please advise! Thanks Guys! Dan

Last edited by dantheman1985; 01-31-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
First off as a resident of SC, I'm amazed you got a ticket. Everyone speeds and drives aggressively and dangerously all over SC and I never see cops pulling people over since we don't have our own police.

Getting out of a ticket because cop didn't show up is a myth. There is usually one cop that has court duty for the day that represents the police for all cases. So it might not be the cop that pulled you over but someone will be there to represent the police. Google fighting speeding tickets. You have to prove you weren't speeding or be able to prove that the equipment they used was faulty or the cop didn't follow procedures or something. With radar and dash cams and everything I'm sure they have plenty of physical evidence if you were speeding

Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Pay it unless you have irrefutable evidence that you weren't speeding.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman1985 View Post
Hello,

I got a ticket in Santa Clarita a few months ago for speeding. The ticket is around $240. I set up a court date tomorrow to set up another court date to fight the ticket. My question should I just suck up the costs and pay the ticket? Or is there a good chance the cop won't show up and I can automatically win? If anybody has experience or knowledge about this please let me know. I've heard that in LA county is pretty much mandatory cops show when people are contesting tickets so I would have a very little chance of winning and would essentially be wasting my time...sespecially since I live an hour away from Santa Clarita. Please advise! Thanks Guys! Dan
What was the speed limit, and at what speed are you accused of driving?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Getting out of a ticket because cop didn't show up is a myth. There is usually one cop that has court duty for the day that represents the police for all cases. So it might not be the cop that pulled you over but someone will be there to represent the police.
Where did you get that information from? The citing officer is the only one who can represent the issuing agency in court if the citation is contested.

If the citing officer has to appear in court, he/she better show up or face repercussions from their supervisor. I know of officers that got unpaid time off for missing a court appearance.

The OP can chose to contest the citation or pay the fine and attend traffic school to eliminate any backlash from the insurance company.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Where did you get that information from? The citing officer is the only one who can represent the issuing agency in court if the citation is contested.

If the citing officer has to appear in court, he/she better show up or face repercussions from their supervisor. I know of officers that got unpaid time off for missing a court appearance.

The OP can chose to contest the citation or pay the fine and attend traffic school to eliminate any backlash from the insurance company.
When I lived in MA this is what they did. Maybe different here.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
When I lived in MA this is what they did. Maybe different here.
Not maybe different - a lot different.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I don't live in So Cal but I am a cali boy. With that said, you're lucky to get cited for $240. People up here get cited for twice as much. Hell! A few years ago, my vehicle slightly went over some double yellow lines and my fine was about $210. Literally 1/4th of my vehicle was over the double lines and they cited me for that. I also received numerous speeding tickets that was double of what you're paying. Unless you have sufficent proof to fight the ticket, then I wouldn't even bother. Also, if you decide to fight it and you lose, then you give up all rights to go to traffic school and that point will remain on your DMV record for 3 years. (at least in my county) If I were you, pay the 240, take traffic school and be done with it.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
I got a ticket for 63 in a 50 on McBean Pkw. A motorcycle cop had a little radar thing. I was watching the traffic and didn't think of speeding. He didn't ask for registration or proof of insurance. I guess that is all on computer when he puts it in. My ticket was printed not hand written I guess that little radar thing printed it.
I am sure he does this all day long every day. He was very business like.
I just paid for it no school, I forgot how much but around $350

Old 02-01-2018, 03:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I got a ticket for 63 in a 50 on McBean Pkw. A motorcycle cop had a little radar thing. I was watching the traffic and didn't think of speeding. He didn't ask for registration or proof of insurance. I guess that is all on computer when he puts it in. My ticket was printed not hand written I guess that little radar thing printed it.
I am sure he does this all day long every day. He was very business like.
I just paid for it no school, I forgot how much but around $350
By which agency were you cited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles