Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 12:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I actually agree with you here jm: street homelessness IS the big issue ... which is something I constantly point out to you, exitus and others who use the term “homeless” generically.

And, a “ton of people” ARE homeless though bunking up with friends and family. That IS part of the stats we provide you.

Example: I just bought a little house (in Tacoma, WA) for under $100k, cash ... to give a homeless alcoholic veteran a shot at ‘rent to own’. Here’s the thing: I’ve known this vet for years and years. He has great skills in all the construction trades. He can build a house from scratch by himself no problem. But he’s taken some rough shots in life and lost his sense of hope that he can ever succeed at anything and have a home of his own again.

He’s been sleeping on couches, in his car with his dog, and sometimes motel rooms for several years. Earning day to day under the table, enough for a night’s bed and some food and gas. THAT IS homeless, even though he makes some money.

The house I offered him is a gutted little shell of a century old cottage on a big lot. Not even a toilet in there.
I knew this older gay guy who would do stuff like that in return for sexual favors. He would take these degenerates in, give them a place to stay, and then they would "pay" him back. Hopefully you don't have any salacious ulterior motives in doing this sort of thing.

But seriously, why help someone like this when he's proven for years that he'll just end out back on the street? There are so many other people to help. Families, students, people in developing countries without opportunities. Every dollar you spend on someone who's been given help over and over and then wasted it over and over, could be spent on someone who could better use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Just another thought for you and your superciliousness, Genghis: yes, it IS “nice” that some of us regulars are “all still going at” correcting homelessness mythologies perpetuated by ignorant posters. Expressing aloof disparagement at persons who actually know what they are talking about, who engage the problems each in our own way / according to our individual abilities is quite shallow. Would you be surprised to find experts in car maintenance or home repairs participating endlessly in forums that help others solve problems with cars and housing?

Go take your walk. Think about it.
Actually I just got back from my walk. It was pretty nice. I saw two panhandlers and both were being respectful as they asked for money. No human excrement or government-provided hypodermic needles. I even took the bus to the riverwalk because parking is hard to find there (especially on Memorial Day weekend). No crazies or crackheads on the bus, it didn't smell, and I felt completely safe at all times. It was very courteous of the "80,000" homeless people in Chicago to not bother anyone. Or maybe there aren't that many.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
I knew this older gay guy who would do stuff like that in return for sexual favors. He would take these degenerates in, give them a place to stay, and then they would "pay" him back. Hopefully you don't have any salacious ulterior motives in doing this sort of thing.

But seriously, why help someone like this when he's proven for years that he'll just end out back on the street? There are so many other people to help. Families, students, people in developing countries without opportunities. Every dollar you spend on someone who's been given help over and over and then wasted it over and over, could be spent on someone who could better use it.
Is there anything I have ever posted that would give you such an impression of me?

Why did you specify “gay”? Do you think that men / women don’t do things with ulterior motives for the opposite sex? Are you homophobic in addition to your other character limitations?

Pretty disgusting post, really ... and entirely uncalled for and without any justification. Noted.

I didn’t give you anywhere near enough information about “this guy” for you to judge his outcome. So just another example of how incomplete your thought processes are.

Note also: I didn’t say anything about how much help he’s been given previously, by me or others. I remarked, in fact, that he works for his pay, and he’s an excellent carpenter, electrician, plumber, roofer, and more. Didn’t say anything about him being a thief either. He’s not. Maybe I am intelligent enough and experienced in life enough to judge a fellow veteran who I have known for years?

Maybe there are reasons I can see why old people in nursing homes (such as where he used to work as maintenance mechanic), and kids, and dogs love this guy. Maybe I‘ve seen him give generously of his time and labor to help others and listen to their stories when few others would take the time.

Certainly, if you demonstrated similar character in your posts to what I’ve seen of this former Army Airborne soldier ... I would also have a higher opinion of you.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Actually I just got back from my walk. It was pretty nice. I saw two panhandlers and both were being respectful as they asked for money. No human excrement or government-provided hypodermic needles. I even took the bus to the riverwalk because parking is hard to find there (especially on Memorial Day weekend). No crazies or crackheads on the bus, it didn't smell, and I felt completely safe at all times. It was very courteous of the "80,000" homeless people in Chicago to not bother anyone. Or maybe there aren't that many.
Well, maybe if you think not you can provide some evidence to refute the statistics that have been repeatedly and professionally compiled for years, eh?

I also have daily walks uninterrupted by needles, excrement, crazies and crackheads. Though I am away from the California cities for the summer now, I often walk Harbor Island , Spanish Landing and Shelter Island trails, as well as all around Liberty Station park in San Diego, the 3rd worst city in California, 5th worst in the nation, for homelessness. There are usually a few homeless living in their vehicles some of those spots, but never been panhandled or bothered. Never seen or stepped in excrement. Never smell urine. No trash anywhere.

Same when I used to live in SF, and go back for my visits. Along the Marina Green and Fort Mason parks. Lots of hikes in the Presidio. Homeless there? Some, yeah. Problems? Nope. Nice.

You don’t have anything in Chicago I envy. To each his own. And you certainly don’t have even the slightest grasp of homeless issues or realities.

Last edited by Tulemutt; 05-25-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Is there anything I have ever posted that would give you such an impression of me?

Why did you specify “gay”? Do you think that men / women don’t do things with ulterior motives for the opposite sex? Are you homophobic in addition to your other character limitations?

Pretty disgusting post, really ... and entirely uncalled for and without any justification. Noted.

I didn’t give you anywhere near enough information about “this guy” for you to judge his outcome. So just another example of how incomplete your thought processes are.

Note also: I didn’t say anything about how much help he’s been given previously, by me or others. I remarked, in fact, that he works for his pay, and he’s an excellent carpenter, electrician, plumber, roofer, and more. Didn’t say anything about him being a thief either. He’s not. Maybe I am intelligent enough and experienced in life enough to judge a fellow veteran who I have known for years?

Maybe there are reasons I can see why old people in nursing homes (such as where he used to work as maintenance mechanic), and kids, and dogs love this guy. Maybe I‘ve seen him give generously of his time and labor to help others and listen to their stories when few others would take the time.

Certainly, if you demonstrated similar character in your posts to what I’ve seen of this former Army Airborne soldier ... I would also have a higher opinion of you.
Well, from what you said about him it sounded like he had been that way for years, which made me think he wasn't going to ever change. But yeah I don't really know what his story is. I personally wouldn't waste my time on some homeless guy who has been flailing around for years but that's just me. You can do what you want.

No need to get all offended, sometimes guys who take an interest in the homeless do have sexual motives, I've heard of it for both male and female homeless people. Hopefully there's nothing like that going on with you.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Same when I used to live in SF, and go back for my visits. Along the Marina Green and Fort Mason parks. Lots of hikes in the Presidio. Homeless there? Some, yeah. Problems? Nope. Nice.

You don’t have anything in Chicago I envy. To each his own. And you certainly don’t have even the slightest grasp of homeless issues or realities.
This is such a pile of you know what. I've seen quite a few homeless people at both the Marina Green and Fort Mason. I personally witnessed one of these lovely people going from car to car at the Marina Green trying to break in. It's not as bad as the mess you see downtown or in the Tenderloin, but it's still pretty bad and it's not something that should ever be considered acceptable.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Well, from what you said about him it sounded like he had been that way for years, which made me think he wasn't going to ever change. But yeah I don't really know what his story is. I personally wouldn't waste my time on some homeless guy who has been flailing around for years but that's just me. You can do what you want.

No need to get all offended, sometimes guys who take an interest in the homeless do have sexual motives, I've heard of it for both male and female homeless people. Hopefully there's nothing like that going on with you.
As if you know anything about it? It is a disgusting insinuation, obviously quite deliberate on your part.

Yes, the carpenter’s been homeless for several years since his marriage failed. I knew him before. I gave him a little hunting dog pup about a half year after he left the old house to wife. He says the dog saved his life by giving him something to look forward to each morning. Very grateful. A person worth knowing. What he’s been through has been brutal, but I’ll be quite surprised if he fails to make the rent and eventually own the place. His demeanor in just the past few days is bright and enthusiastic again.

Quote:
This is such a pile of you know what. I've seen quite a few homeless people at both the Marina Green and Fort Mason. I personally witnessed one of these lovely people going from car to car at the Marina Green trying to break in. It's not as bad as the mess you see downtown or in the Tenderloin, but it's still pretty bad and it's not something that should ever be considered acceptable.
Such a pile eh? I didn’t say there weren’t homeless there. I said there were. And who said it was acceptable?

I lived in the (east basin) marina there. Every day when the gates opened a number of rv-dweller homeless drove in to spend the day around the public restroom and at night when the park closed they’d park around the Safeway across the street. No excrement or urine. Rarely any ranting crazies. Others, without vehicles drifted around at times, sleeping in the brush in the Presidio. Never a problem for me to have as lovely a walk as you describe in Chicago. And I’ll take my Golden Gate and Headlands views and refreshing breezes any day.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
As if you know anything about it? It is a disgusting insinuation, obviously quite deliberate on your part.

Yes, the carpenter’s been homeless for several years since his marriage failed. I knew him before. I gave him a little hunting dog pup about a half year after he left the old house to wife. He says the dog saved his life by giving him something to look forward to each morning. Very grateful. A person worth knowing. What he’s been through has been brutal, but I’ll be quite surprised if he fails to make the rent and eventually own the place. His demeanor in just the past few days is bright and enthusiastic again.
Look, it happens all the time and I have the right to wonder. You said you were in Washington state right now .... didn't even the former mayor of Seattle take in wayward youths for sexual purposes? Anyhow, I really have no reason to think you're like that. I'm sure you have your own reasons for taking such an extreme interest in the homeless even though I can't say what's so special about them that they should take priority over everyone else.

Quote:
I lived in the (east basin) marina there. Every day when the gates opened a number of rv-dweller homeless drove in to spend the day around the public restroom and at night when the park closed they’d park around the Safeway across the street. No excrement or urine. Rarely any ranting crazies. Others, without vehicles drifted around at times, sleeping in the brush in the Presidio. Never a problem for me to have as lovely a walk as you describe in Chicago. And I’ll take my Golden Gate and Headlands views and refreshing breezes any day.
Whatever, it's always cold and windy by the Golden Gate and Headlands. Having a heroin addict defecating in front of you doesn't exactly improve the ambiance but I guess you can get used to it.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Look, it happens all the time and I have the right to wonder. You said you were in Washington state right now .... didn't even the former mayor of Seattle take in wayward youths for sexual purposes? Anyhow, I really have no reason to think you're like that. I'm sure you have your own reasons for taking such an extreme interest in the homeless even though I can't say what's so special about them that they should take priority over everyone else.
A “right” to wonder? What kind of “right” is salacious interest? There’s been nothing to lead you to that comment you made.

When I was first in service we were indoctrinated with “no man left behind” commitment. A few years later, unconscious with concussion during a night assault I was left for dead. Hours later I made it back, alone, beat up but ready a day or so later to return to duty. Experience stuck with me. You’ve never been in the military let alone relied on and been relied upon by others for your life. There’s all kinds of people in the service, they’re not all good people. But, the brotherhood runs deep enough that I give a lot of consideration still because I understand how the experience can wear on a guy / gal. I was given a psychological makeup that endured the pressures well. But I see how it can easily and legitimately take a toll on many fine men and women. That’s the source of my particular motivation.

Quote:
Whatever, it's always cold and windy by the Golden Gate and Headlands. Having a heroin addict defecating in front of you doesn't exactly improve the ambiance but I guess you can get used to it.
Dunno. Never had a heroin addict defecate in front of me on my hikes around the Marina Green, Fort Mason, the Presidio, or in San Diego. Yes, I’ve seen a pile here and there. Occasionally. It would be nice if the city provided an alternative.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Still harping on "those of us who live here." Heaven forbid that anyone might live outside the boundaries of Brentwood. What would we know about anything? After all, we're supposedly "contrarians."
There are posters here who keep lecturing us about the homeless situation in L.A. and arguing with us about it, when they don't live here and they don't know how dangerous the homeless are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles