U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,302 posts, read 18,895,231 times
Reputation: 12240

Advertisements

Flip Floppin’ Eric
——

Garcetti explained at a luncheon on Wednesday that dense housing in single-family neighborhoods would look out of place and that “we have plenty of space and land” to continue suburban-style development. As reported by the Los Angeles Times, Garcetti said, “Can you imagine, three blocks in, in a single-family neighborhood, you could go 10 stories automatically. It wouldn’t look right

https://archpaper.com/2018/03/la-may...nt-look-right/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles and Rancho Palos Verdes
12,775 posts, read 12,972,123 times
Reputation: 13031
Hmm...I have an idea as to why he reversed his position but it's politically related, so I'll just say it pertains to a certain indictment(s) in recent news and his further ambitions and I'll leave it at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 AM
 
10,691 posts, read 5,345,469 times
Reputation: 5667
So trump is taking guns and Garcetti is going Nimby.. WTF 2018?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles and Rancho Palos Verdes
12,775 posts, read 12,972,123 times
Reputation: 13031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
So trump is taking guns and Garcetti is going Nimby.. WTF 2018?
Hey dude, see the stickies at the top of this forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 AM
 
10,691 posts, read 5,345,469 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Hmm...I have an idea as to why he reversed his position but it's politically related, so I'll just say it pertains to a certain indictment(s) in recent news and his further ambitions and I'll leave it at that.
This is gonna screw L.A..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles and Rancho Palos Verdes
12,775 posts, read 12,972,123 times
Reputation: 13031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
This is gonna screw L.A..
No, what's screwing L.A. is traffic, traffic, and more traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 12:21 AM
 
10,691 posts, read 5,345,469 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, what's screwing L.A. is traffic, traffic, and more traffic.
Because we've been keeping it the same for years. Because of L.A.'s very nature that's been in place for decades.


L.A.'s the man eating cake and wondering why he's fat..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 01:37 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles and Rancho Palos Verdes
12,775 posts, read 12,972,123 times
Reputation: 13031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because we've been keeping it the same for years. Because of L.A.'s very nature that's been in place for decades.


L.A.'s the man eating cake and wondering why he's fat..
It won't get any better by continuing to overbuild. And by the time we get more light rail, we'll be back where we started if we don't put the brakes on overdevelopment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 01:53 AM
 
10,691 posts, read 5,345,469 times
Reputation: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It won't get any better by continuing to overbuild. And by the time we get more light rail, we'll be back where we started if we don't put the brakes on overdevelopment.
Overbuild? We're underbuilt..

Just because we got full on suburban housing doesn't mean we are over built.

The reason we have so much traffic is because we've relied too much on single family homes. And since it's mostly one or two stories, everything is spread out.

So commutes get longer. L.A. gets more appealing.

Ironically, the same aspect that got people comming is the same aspect that defeated itself.

Now we're bracing for a population we didn't prepare for. We built it, they came. Things got more expensive because there was more people than there was room for. No we cannot turn people away. But we are so confident in our way of life as if everyone can live in the same space like some quantum based society that we were blind to what the city really needed.

The thing is, by nature, cities grow, cities need to adapt. Traffic will always grow, but if we put off rail and density,then the same traffic we are crying about is only gonna get worse.

We need to give people options. And it's a win win for both car and transit rider. Because it will get some of us liberated from the freeways, thus allowing more breathing room for the people who love their cars. Build more density to fullfill supply and demand and allowing people to live closer their jobs therefor keeping THEM off the freeways. Again leaving room for you to drive.

The point is. No traffic will NEVER be perfect again. But if we don't address it now, then if you think it's bad today. You don't know what's in store..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles and Rancho Palos Verdes
12,775 posts, read 12,972,123 times
Reputation: 13031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Overbuild? We're underbuilt..

Just because we got full on suburban housing doesn't mean we are over built.

The reason we have so much traffic is because we've relied too much on single family homes. And since it's mostly one or two stories, everything is spread out.

So commutes get longer. L.A. gets more appealing.

Ironically, the same aspect that got people comming is the same aspect that defeated itself.

Now we're bracing for a population we didn't prepare for. We built it, they came. Things got more expensive because there was more people than there was room for. No we cannot turn people away. But we are so confident in our way of life as if everyone can live in the same space like some quantum based society that we were blind to what the city really needed.

The thing is, by nature, cities grow, cities need to adapt. Traffic will always grow, but if we put off rail and density,then the same traffic we are crying about is only gonna get worse.

We need to give people options. And it's a win win for both car and transit rider. Because it will get some of us liberated from the freeways, thus allowing more breathing room for the people who love their cars. Build more density to fullfill supply and demand and allowing people to live closer their jobs therefor keeping THEM off the freeways. Again leaving room for you to drive.

The point is. No traffic will NEVER be perfect again. But if we don't address it now, then if you think it's bad today. You don't know what's in store..
I do not agree. Traffic is the first and foremost priority, not housing for more people. We have a surplus of people, not a shortage of housing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top