Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze22 View Post
I grew up on Green Valley Circle in Heather Village (across from the Meadows) from 1980 - 1994. I LOVED living there. I was actually doing some research to try to get out of Georgia and back to Cali asap, and with two kids in tow I thought Fox Hills would be perfect.

Now I'm not so sure. Some of the posts I've read and my Feb. visit seem to indicate a turn for the worse in the area. Young and black definitely don't mean crime-ridden to me (I'm not-so-old and black), but so many people saying the area "isn't what it used to be" scares me.

Did this area go downhill and is now in recovery, or do I have to sell a kidney to move to the Marina or Playa to get a safe, family-oriented 'hood?

I was curious about where I spent most of my childhood years and look this board up. I left in '80 right after new years and spent my teen years back in NYC. I think it would have been much better if we had stayed in Fox Hills. I remember in '74-5 when the built the mall ethnically it was mixed in fact I think it was pretty well rounded. There really weren't very many bad kids but some. In NY there were many worse roving around. When I left Fox Hills I was a bit sheltered from spending six years in LA.
I remember they sold our apt and we had to go across to the Meadows where my parents hid me until we could buy a condo. Back then there weren't many malls but I think Chris Rock nailed it. Anyway I had mostly black friends mainly because the white kids and I fought because I had an accent and was a bit rough for an 8 year old and their parents wouldn't let them play with me. The older black kids seemed to accept me. I had Jewish friends as well whom I keep in touch with still. I hate to think the place went down. When it became condo in 1975 they really spent a lot of money making it like the Meadows. Everything got a facelift etc.
Your post just brought back a lot of good memories. I do miss those swimming pools. We have public pools here and they aren't great.
I've never made it back to LA since '80 but might stop down there next time I'm in Frisco just to see how things changed. 35 years ago everything was fields and tumbleweeds blowing across GVC. The best thing they ever did was build that Mall, Then a few years later, Wells Fargo and finally FH Park. It's funny I was dying to get out of there at the time because I was too young to drive and had to annoy people for rides.
Now I don't drive because there's no place to park. I got rid of my last car about 4 years ago. Good Luck finding a good place. I really wonder what the rents are. I'm paying almost $1500 for 1 bedroom 1 bath. No beamed ceilings no fake fireplace no parking space 2 year leases no hope of going condo. I do live in a development with nice landscaping nowhere on the scale of Heather or Meadows. Our rec room looks like a plain room with tables. There used to be a nice one at the Heather with pool tables which I'm sure the kids broke by now. We do have a parking lot behind our development with a waiting list and a $200/month rent. I used to keep my car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles