Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:40 PM

608 posts, read 515,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I miss Phil Hendrie. His humor caused me to nearly laugh myself into cardiac arrest on more than one occasion.
Phil Hendrie was fantastic. I listened to him for a long time. I used to wonder just how he did it all, and really would have liked to be able to watch him do a show sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I listen to John and Ken often. Their speech patterns are very obnoxious. However I think they're right most of the time.

Tim Conway Jr. (KFI, 6PM weeknights) is rather annoying. I heard him saying if you hate America you should leave. I also heard him commenting on Mike Farrell, the anti-death penalty guy. He said Farrell says we should look the other way if somebody commits a terrible crime. I'm sure that's not what Mike Farrell believes.

I started listening to 870 AM which is nationwide syndicated, and all conservative. The one I like is Michael Medved. But I turn off 870 when they start talking about the bible. Larry Elder is okay.

I haven't found anything interesting on 790 AM, have you?
Interesting topic.Of course they are pretty much all new since we left hundreds of years ago. My brother loves Larry Elder. We got Medved on one of our stations in NM, Texas and for awhile here. I do like him. I dot want to hear any host that gets too far into the bible, regardless of how one might feel.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I remember back before Rush Limbaugh and Michael Jackson ruled LA radio Dodger season would be like his vacation season I don't know if the Dodgers paid back then. Today I think the Kings do pay. So for the station it is like a TV station selling an infomercial block of time instead of selling advertising and perhaps paying Larry Elder for that block of time.

Besides if a sport station sold to the Kings then they loose their available time to take care of Laker, Clipper, Angels and Dodger fans.
wow: going back to Michael Jackson days: that is about as far back I can remember. I listened to him while driving but never agree with him politically or rarely let's say g w

Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow: going back to Michael Jackson days: that is about as far back I can remember. I listened to him while driving but never agree with him politically or rarely let's say g w
I only remember Michael Jackson giving his opinions and getting emotional in his presentation after Rush arrived and took the king title from him.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I only remember Michael Jackson giving his opinions and getting emotional in his presentation after Rush arrived and took the king title from him.
ok, so you aren't nearly as old as I am. when I listened to Michael almost daily while driving I don't think Rush was even born. well that is a bit over the top I guess. can imagine Michael's reaction though.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 95,730 times
Doug McIntyre - hands down. He's funny, he's insightful, he has a wonderful way of relating historical events to what's happening today to give it context. He also does a lot of local politics which is sorely needed.

I used to be a big Larry Elder fan, but he tends to bring up the same talking points again and again and again and again... And he's a little too aggressive with some of his interviewees. Doug - with one or two exceptions - stays respectful. Sometimes I want to hear what the other guy has to say whether I think I'll agree with him or not. Doug interviewed Kevin Deleon (sp) this morning, for example, and stayed even and respectful while still making his points. Larry doesn't do that. His interview with Jerry Brown a few years ago was so contentious it made me want to smack him upside the head.

I love Medved for his historical knowledge too. I wish I'd had teachers in school who approached history like Medved and McIntyre do. But then -

Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 PM

8,331 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I used to think Medved 870 was really smart, I now believe he has a photographic memory and therefore can pass tests.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
Doug McIntyre - hands down. He's funny, he's insightful, he has a wonderful way of relating historical events to what's happening today to give it context. He also does a lot of local politics which is sorely needed.

I used to be a big Larry Elder fan, but he tends to bring up the same talking points again and again and again and again... And he's a little too aggressive with some of his interviewees. Doug - with one or two exceptions - stays respectful. Sometimes I want to hear what the other guy has to say whether I think I'll agree with him or not. Doug interviewed Kevin Deleon (sp) this morning, for example, and stayed even and respectful while still making his points. Larry doesn't do that. His interview with Jerry Brown a few years ago was so contentious it made me want to smack him upside the head.

I love Medved for his historical knowledge too. I wish I'd had teachers in school who approached history like Medved and McIntyre do. But then -

when it comes to teachers in school, there are a lot of radio hosts that could do a better job teaching our kids history like when I was in school. Today's kids are learning only one side of every story: that is sad. I do imagine it is hard to do a fair interview and still keep it interesting

Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times
870 AM has dropped Hugh Hewitt at 10PM. They now play Michael Gallagher, who used to be on later.
It's not mentioned on their website.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
870 AM has dropped Hugh Hewitt at 10PM. They now play Michael Gallagher, who used to be on later.
It's not mentioned on their website.
Thanks for the info. I'm disappointed in KABC dropping Tilden at night and replacing him with a sports talk show, as if we need another one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles