Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,073 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving to Los Angeles in a few months to study for a year at a school in downtown (FIDM). I have been looking for apartments, but it seems that (according to lapd crime maps) the crime is pretty evenly distributed around the red line metro stop and downtown, as well as some other areas. What are some of the safest areas to live? My budget is low since I am a student, but I think I will have to go over $1200 a month for a studio. Also, I am not planning on having a car, but I know that there are many buses.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
$1200 should definitely get you a nice studio in Los Feliz, possibly even a 1br. Los Feliz is great neighborhood with plenty of bars and restaurants and easy access to Griffith Park if you're into hiking/nature. There is also an adjacent subway stop that you could shuttle, bike, or walk to. Koreatown is another 'hood with subway stops that many younger people are moving to. If you're near Wilshire, you should have no issues.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
k town is a good option. and downtown as well. it depends on the life style you are more comfortable with. if you stay in dense areas such as k town or immediately west of DT (dont really reccomend it) you will have no trouble with public trans. plenty of buses and availibility of the train. you can also look northwest of DT. silver lake and echo, or along the red line in easter hllywd area, but it depends on what you are comofrtable with. have you grown up in urban areas? are you street savvy? sheltered? accustomed to seeing people passed out on the sidewalk? do you freak at the sight of homeless? are you adventurous?

the city center has a lil bit of it all. what kind of lifestyle are you looking for?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Ryn

48 posts, read 96,377 times
^haha. yes, all go good questions.

The crime stats can really scare a person but if you're smart, use your head and keep your wits about you, you can easily live here without being a victim.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 PM

174 posts, read 516,986 times
I have lived in East Hollywood for five years - never a crime problem. Before I lived here, I lived in downtown Long Beach - Hell hole. In Long Beach, My studio apartment was broken into; I was attacked on my way to a coffee shop on Fourth Street; I was pick pocketed on the street. I had only lived there about two years at the time.

In Hollywood I still pay less than 900 dollars a month for a LARGE studio - thank you rent control. I do NOT own a car - no insurance, no maintenance, NO GAS, no monthly car payments. The Red line is within walking distance.

The MTA train and bus system comes with its own entertainment provided. Has anyone ever seen the blind man who begs for money in English and fluent Spanish as he removes his glass eye for pity? Kids on the Blue Line Train scream in terror. I wish I could be as bilingual as he is. I might be doing something far more lucrative than teaching high school English.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Ryn

48 posts, read 96,377 times
^ Missed that one but I have seen the lady how screams hallelujahs then chants Michael Jackson songs. She's a peach.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,073 times
those are good questions to think about, i would be an easy target for sure, i'm small, i'm female, and i tend to be aloof a lot. My reaction time is lightning fast, though. I am considering koreatown at the moment, they have a lot of apartments managed by swelgroup which are cheap with utilities included. i am having trouble finding any reliable sources for parking garages. i know that street parking is terribly hard to find, so wanted to rent a spot at a garage somewhere in k-town, preferably near the apartment (so far we don't know which apts we are going to live in). anyone know?

thanks for all the responses so far, keep 'em coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles