Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I’d be curious how would they collect the fee?
Is it going to be pay by plate, just like with toll roads and bridges around the state?
I can see the biggest issue would be all these rental cars running around or borrowed cars running around. Rental car customers have often been gauged by rental companies with extra fees for processing electronic tolls especially when the toll authority messes up and falsely accuses you of not paying. Yes sometimes even if we bring a transponder with working battery that beeps everytime passing a toll point this can happen.
I know that there is no way that manned toll booths would be used to collect this charge. Just impossible. Especially given that most toll roads and bridges no longer have personnel collecting cash.

I do wish Los Angeles overhauls its road and rail transit options as well as its development policies to alleviate congestion though. Ie having parking per block standards instead of parking per property(to reduce congestion due to circling for parking), build a heavy rail metro down Wilshire and down I10 corridor in San Gabriel Valley, and having bypass viaducts built underground if necessary to alleviate congestion due to the freeway revolt gaps.
My understanding is that we'll all be required by law to put transponders in our cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:56 AM

702 posts, read 954,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
My understanding is that we'll all be required by law to put transponders in our cars.

No need for that... Here's the options in Norway (in addition to transponders):

1. Visitors payment (advance payment)
Visitors may register a credit card at www.autopass.no/visitors (Visitors’ Payment) prior to or within 3 days after passing the first toll point. The toll fee will automatically be withdrawn from the account.
2. Online payment (post payment)
You can pay HERE within 14 days after driving through the toll plaza.
For English text, choose the flag for the United Kingdom.

3. Cash payment at a service station (post payment)
If you pass without an AutoPASS or Visitors payment contract on your vehicle, you can pay at a local service station (see below) within 3 working days.

4. Invoice per mail (post payment)
If you pass without a valid tag, the license plates are photographed and registered. An invoice is sent to the owner of the vehicle in approximately 1-3 months after your first passing, at no extra charge.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
No need for that... Here's the options in Norway (in addition to transponders):

1. Visitors payment (advance payment)
Visitors may register a credit card at www.autopass.no/visitors (Visitors’ Payment) prior to or within 3 days after passing the first toll point. The toll fee will automatically be withdrawn from the account.
2. Online payment (post payment)
You can pay HERE within 14 days after driving through the toll plaza.
For English text, choose the flag for the United Kingdom.

3. Cash payment at a service station (post payment)
If you pass without an AutoPASS or Visitors payment contract on your vehicle, you can pay at a local service station (see below) within 3 working days.

4. Invoice per mail (post payment)
If you pass without a valid tag, the license plates are photographed and registered. An invoice is sent to the owner of the vehicle in approximately 1-3 months after your first passing, at no extra charge.
Transponders will be required. Do you know why?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:17 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
After reading this thread, I have but one thing to add, and that is, the "sticker" program I am currently involved in, still seems to be the best idea out there.
Once again, I have plans to meet with the state assembly members I spoke with last year, and hopefully this program will be presented to the full assembly later this year.

For those of you unfamiliar with this proposal to rid the congested freeways of vehicles from Monday through Friday, the principal idea is quite simple.
Comparing my proposal to this newly hatched idea from metro, I would be voting for my plan.
The big difference in my plan is cost.
Would you rather pay every day to get to where you are going?, or pay $4.50 one time, and only have to pay that again,if you decide to purchase another vehicle.
The sticker program would take a million or more vehicles off the streets, and freeways of Los Angeles on any given day, Monday thru Friday.

In Los Angeles alone, there were over 9 million vehicles registered in 2018.
That is not the county, but the city.
Congestion pricing has but one goal in mind, and that goal will never happen in our lifetime.
They expect the money to be used to build new public transportation systems.
My view has always been, why should the driving public have to foot the bill for mass transit?
That should be left up to the people who use the system in the form of rider fees.
The same could be said for people who use our roads and freeways, but the difference is, drivers only need to pay once, not everyday, to achieve fewer vehicles on the roads and freeways.

Using the sticker system through out the state, in counties of more than a million residence, would cut down the need for adding new lanes to freeways to accommodate the traffic in these areas.
It has already been shown, that adding lanes to existing freeways in an exercise in futility.
New lanes are obsolete before they are even opened.
To see an example of that, one has to go no further than the #101 east, and west bound, here in Los Angeles.
In the last twenty or so years, three lanes, in both directions, have been added to that freeway, at the cost of millions of dollars, and it is more congested than it was before the lanes were added.
One could say the same for most freeway extensions in the county.
Sure they provide jobs for Caltrans, and other construction firms, but do absolutely nothing to aid in traffic congestion.

The idea should be to get as many vehicles off the crowded roads, and freeways as possible, while not costing an arm and a leg to do so.
In this sticker proposal, many would be exempt, but still, it would be a viable solution to removing millions of vehicles from the roads each and every day.

Bob.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
After reading this thread, I have but one thing to add, and that is, the "sticker" program I am currently involved in, still seems to be the best idea out there.
Once again, I have plans to meet with the state assembly members I spoke with last year, and hopefully this program will be presented to the full assembly later this year.

For those of you unfamiliar with this proposal to rid the congested freeways of vehicles from Monday through Friday, the principal idea is quite simple.
Comparing my proposal to this newly hatched idea from metro, I would be voting for my plan.
Would you rather pay every day to get to where you are going?, or pay $4.50 one time, and only have to pay that again,if you decide to purchase another vehicle.
The sticker program would take a million or more vehicles off the streets, and freeways of Los Angeles on any given day, Monday thru Friday.

In Los Angeles alone, there were over 9 million vehicles registered in 2018.
That is not the county, but the city.
Congestion pricing has but one goal in mind, and that goal will never happen in our lifetime.
They expect the money to be used to build new public transportation systems.
My view has always been, why should the driving public have to foot the bill for mass transit?
That should be left up to the people who use the system in the form of rider fees.
The same could be said for people who use our roads and freeways, but the difference is, drivers only need to pay once, not everyday, to achieve fewer vehicles on the roads and freeways.

Using the sticker system through out the state, in counties of more than a million residence, would cut down the need for adding new lanes to freeways to accommodate the traffic in these areas.
It has already been shown, that adding lanes to existing freeways in an exercise in futility.
New lanes are obsolete before they are even opened.
To see an example of that, one has to go no further than the #101 east, and west bound, here in Los Angeles.
In the last twenty or so years, three lanes, in both directions, have been added to that freeway, at the cost of millions of dollars, and it is more congested than it was before the lanes were added.
One could say the same for most freeway extensions in the county.
Sure they provide jobs for Caltrans, and other construction firms, but do absolutely nothing to aid in traffic congestion.

The idea should be to get as many vehicles off the crowded roads, and freeways as possible, while not costing an arm and a leg to do so.
In this sticker proposal, many would be exempt, but still, it would be a viable solution to removing millions of vehicles from the roads each and every day.

Bob.
Not a bad idea Bob but metro is looking for far more money than your idea would generate.
As always, it's about the money. Even if the legislature passed the bill and Newsome signs off on it, metro may still be able to proceed with their revenue generating plan.
We'll see.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.

The $4.50 cost will not likely take many people off the freeways.

Why would it work unless it wqas a daily cost and then ...

An idea that won't work without hurting people, especially the poor who have to live further away and .... how will that 1 million number of people get to work, with no existing transportation means that exists at a level that would help them? In other words take money and let those suffer if they can't pay it and eventually maybe actually use it to expand transportation but way after hurting that million plus people!!!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
Adding lanes to freeways does not reduce congestion. Only a far left Democrat could say that.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Adding lanes to freeways does not reduce congestion. Only a far left Democrat could say that.
Nothing will reduce it. Only so much land for roads or trains and too many people moving in.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 PM

702 posts, read 954,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

L2engineer. It's called "induced demand," and it's a fact.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The $4.50 cost will not likely take many people off the freeways.

Why would it work unless it wqas a daily cost and then ...

An idea that won't work without hurting people, especially the poor who have to live further away and .... how will that 1 million number of people get to work, with no existing transportation means that exists at a level that would help them? In other words take money and let those suffer if they can't pay it and eventually maybe actually use it to expand transportation but way after hurting that million plus people!!!
When I started this campaign regarding these stickers, I made a couple of post explaining it, so there would be no doubt as to how it would operate, and be enforced.
I looked for those post for the past hour, and couldn't locate them.
The proposal has undergone updates since those post.

Here is the proposal as it was presented to those members of the state assembly, not word for word, but the general concept.

The stickers would be issued to every registered vehicle in certain counties in the state.
The cost to the registered owner would be a one time fee of$4.50.
Notices in the media would tell people that the program is coming, and they would be instructed to either go to their nearest DMV office, or go online to secure their sticker.
If more than one vehicle has the same owner, or address attached to it's registration, all vehicles would get the sticker(s) with the same day stamped on them, with one exception, that being multiple dwellings like apartment buildings.
Those living in apartment buildings would have stickers issued by registered owner, not address.
This would insure that alternate vehicles could no be used in place of the main vehicle.

Once all vehicles have a sticker,thereafter, when someone purchased a new vehicle, they would be issued a sticker when registering the vehicle.
Like license plates, the sticker would stay with the vehicle when sold, or transferred.
The sticker issued, would have a day of the week printed on it in large, readable letters, denoting a day of the week, Monday thru Friday.
The sticker would be placed in the lower right corner of the front windshield, on the inside, and made of material that would make it impossible to alter, or remove in any way, once attached.

The vehicle could not be driven on the day printed on the sticker.
Owners would have to find other ways to get around on that one day.
Penalties for using the vehicle on the day designated on the sticker would be hefty, as well as for not having a sticker at all.
If a vehicle has no sticker, the owner would have to show that the vehicle is registered to the owner who lives in an exempt area of the state, and the vehicle is registered there.

There would be exemption in place for law enforcement, fire, medical personnel, and self employed,(if they use the vehicle in the course of their work) people in sales, and construction.
People filing for an exemption would have to provide proof that they are eligible for the exemption.
Employment records, tax records etc.

I have been working on this proposal for a few years now, and there isn't much I can't answer, or account for.
I have heard all the excuses, and bad reasons for people not wanting to give up their vehicle for one day a week.
I have traveled the state from north to south, documenting traffic conditions through out the state,researching the cost to the state for new freeway construction, and adding lanes to existing freeways and I have no doubt this program will save the state billions of dollars over the long run.
I believe this proposal will become law in the state, The only question is, when.

Oh, one more thing for those who may want to know about less populated areas.
Will they also be exempt?
The only places this sticker program will be in force is in counties that have over a million in population.
Those with under a million. but close to that figure, will be under study.

One other question some have asked is how is this going to be managed, and enforced?
What agency will be responsible for enforcing the rules?
As mentioned above, the program will be administered through the DMV.
The state will add personnel to the DMV, who's sole responsibility will be to enforce the rules of the program.
They will be through out the counties where the program is in force, on the streets and freeways looking for violators.
Much like other states that have a separate policing force for just motor vehicle enforcement.
They will be responsible for making sure violators are ticketed if they violate the law.

Now, a big question many have asked, "Where is the money coming from to maintain this program, pay officers, and purchase vehicles for them to patrol in?
All monies will come from the general fund, and presently, the state of California has a huge surplus in that fund.
At last count just before the former governor left office, it was $30,000,000

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles