Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/68602...or-the-big-one

"Twenty five years ago, at 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 17, 1994, the Northridge earthquake shook Angelenos from their beds. For those of us who lived through it, the memories of chaos early in the morning are unforgettable..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM

427 posts, read 367,754 times
Honestly, what can you really do? No one knows where the epicenter will be, and that's the worst area. Everyone else will be relatively normal after it. Its wise to keep a few non-perishable food items in the pantry in case this happens. You may lose power and gas for a few days, thus ruining everything in your fridge and making it harder to cook. I myself always have a ton of charcoal laying around to grill.

Your hot water heater has a valve on it to open it up. This should be enough drinking water for a few days.

If you're sustaining major damage, you're going to family, friends, or a hotel. The majority of the population will have 2 to 3 days of disruption. I dont see a doomsday scenario like some preach. Again, epicenter bad, most of SoCal L.A. metro area ok.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
There’s an app for that lol

LOS ANGELES GETS AMERICA'S FIRST EARTHQUAKE WARNING A
https://www.wired.com/story/los-ange...e-warning-app/

Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Other than hospitals, state government has generally not set any mandatory rules for earthquake retrofits, and that has left it up to city and county governments to make decisions about seismic risks.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...117-story.html

Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Ready? Probably not, but here in Ca... we just go with the flow.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Honestly, what can you really do? No one knows where the epicenter will be, and that's the worst area. Everyone else will be relatively normal after it. Its wise to keep a few non-perishable food items in the pantry in case this happens. You may lose power and gas for a few days, thus ruining everything in your fridge and making it harder to cook. I myself always have a ton of charcoal laying around to grill.

Your hot water heater has a valve on it to open it up. This should be enough drinking water for a few days.

If you're sustaining major damage, you're going to family, friends, or a hotel. The majority of the population will have 2 to 3 days of disruption. I dont see a doomsday scenario like some preach. Again, epicenter bad, most of SoCal L.A. metro area ok.
^^This. I was here for Northrdige. I keep water, food, flashlights, batteries, etc. But really, if my building collapes on me and my stuff, what good will it do?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM

138 posts, read 118,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkromers758 View Post
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/68602...or-the-big-one

"Twenty five years ago, at 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 17, 1994, the Northridge earthquake shook Angelenos from their beds. For those of us who lived through it, the memories of chaos early in the morning are unforgettable..."
I vividly remember it and 1971. They had some similarities. Hit before dawn still dark out. In middle of winter yet both days were very warm Santa Ana wind days.

A couple days after Northridge I was at a party and overheard someone say he was awake for it. Curious I asked him why; he told me his dog woke him up and he was just leaning against a wall, with the light on, waiting for it to hit.. I asked him how much time in advance. He told me TEN MINUTES and his dog never false reacts and always predicts them. TEN MINUTES? How can that be? P wave and S waves give train operators maybe 30 or so seconds.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,985 times
Ready? Sure just hang on and hope for the best. Seriously how do you get ready for an earthquake?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM

138 posts, read 118,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Ready? Sure just hang on and hope for the best. Seriously how do you get ready for an earthquake?
Most of the readiness is common knowledge. (Tip: One thing I don't do is drain the bathtub after my bubble baths. That way if we do lose water, we have dozens of gallons to use for flushing toilets and washing).

Also, the most indesctructable thing in the world (besides a drunk in seatbelts) in an earthquake is a single story ranch style home. Lots of wall, low center of gravity, flexible timber walls, ...they just don't go down unless there's a fire which is why I have an earthquake gas shutoff valve. (And I KNOW I have one when my wife screams there's no hot water because they day before I banged the valve with the trashcans and it opened the gas line.)

Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Most of the readiness is common knowledge. (Tip: One thing I don't do is drain the bathtub after my bubble baths. That way if we do lose water, we have dozens of gallons to use for flushing toilets and washing).

Also, the most indesctructable thing in the world (besides a drunk in seatbelts) in an earthquake is a single story ranch style home. Lots of wall, low center of gravity, flexible timber walls, ...they just don't go down unless there's a fire which is why I have an earthquake gas shutoff valve. (And I KNOW I have one when my wife screams there's no hot water because they day before I banged the valve with the trashcans and it opened the gas line.)

Gas shutoff is standard on all homes after 94. As for bathtub that is a bit extreme. I have enough water for 3 days. I also own motorcycle and always have it filled up. The rest is gov responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles