Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 12:46 PM

6,518 posts, read 7,581,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
One thing I've noticed is that, people don't need to wake up, before they go-go, because they're not planin' on goin' solo!
LOL, is that better or worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,711,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
LOL, is that better or worse?
Lemme get back to you on that.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 980,136 times
April 26th, 1992
There was a riot on the streets
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV
While I was participating in some anarchy...

Definitely better now — minus the out of control homelessness.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,395,582 times
The Los Angeles Metro area has changed over the past 30 years. I wouldnt say good or bad in all aspects, but the metro area doesnt stay the same.

Public Transportation.
1990 has zero Metro rail miles ----- current has over 100 miles of rail with 2 heavy rail lines and 4 light rail lines.
1990 has zero Metrolink commuter rail lines ---- current has 5 routes from Downtown LA union station to all the counties.

Population Demographics and racial movement.
Significant drop in Black and less white groups
Growing hispanic and asian groups.
This is evident in the growing ethnic/racial areas like the San Gabriel valley is like on big Chinatown. Or South Central areas known for black communities are now majority latino. And latino areas are starting to become more white especially in communities along the LA River and west to Hollywood/Koreatown. Changing areas.

Population Growth.
LA City Population/LA County population 1990 --- 3.5million and 8.87 current ---- 4 million and 10.1 million
Orange County population 1990 --- 2.4 million ---- current 3.2 million
San Bernardino population 1990 ---- 1.4M ---- current 2.1M
Riverside County population 1990 --- 1.2M ---- current 2.4M
As you can see the population has been increasing in these counties with some people from LA/OC moving to SB/Riverside while others replace the growing population in LA/OC. Significant population means more cars on the roads and more traffic and congestion since 1990.

Crime.
Not sure of other cities, but LA City crime was very bad in the 1980s and 1990s. One of the top cities but now it is one of the safer big cities in America and a steady decline over time years. I think this is attributed to the changing demographics in neighborhoods. LA City was home to the poorest, least education and more likely to lead to bad crime ridden and gang infested neighborhoods, but gentrification and movement of people has dislodged many areas either making them more educated/desirable or gangs unable to get new members or members locked up and unable to keep the territory.

Other Things.
related to other things I mentioned. LA City especially was were poorest and new immigrants usually come and settle. While it happens the areas have changed because of the price of housing. More affluent types are moving into these poorer and ethnic communities making them desirable and trendy. The trend of hipness has moved east from the westside/coast into other directions especially in places like Hollywood to Koreatown, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, Downtown LA and starting to move into Historic Filipinotown Westlake, around USC, Boyle Heights, Atwater Village, Glassel Park. These new areas are becoming more dense, more walkable, friendly to public transit usage. Downtown has had a 180degree turn. It was seen as a place people left after 5pm and weekends and full of homeless everywhere, but now is the place with high end rentals/condos, top hotels, Staples Center, many museums, and many events year round while the homeless are slowly being pushed into the confines of Skid Row or elsewhere into the vast county. Downtown's plan is to increase the new population upwards of an extra 125,000 by 2040 to the current ˜80,000 people. when in 1990 I think it was below 20,000 people. So really a huge population in just a small area. Places like Westlake, Koreatown, East Hollywood, Hollywood are expected to increase population density, especially with all the dense housing currently building. So clearly there is this massive building up in a central part of the city whereas the 1990s the new population just continued sprawling into Palmdale, Santa Clarita, San Bern/Riverside, OC.

LA city in the future will have a lot more high rises and midrises all over. Downtown LA will start to look like Chicago or Miami or Seattle. Maybe not NYC thats just wayyyyyy ahead of everyone else.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 3,333,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
LA city in the future will have a lot more high rises and midrises all over. Downtown LA will start to look like Chicago or Miami or Seattle. Maybe not NYC thats just wayyyyyy ahead of everyone else.
DTLA has a taller skyline with more skyscrapers than Seattle right now.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM

6,518 posts, read 7,581,543 times
So pretty much homelessness, traffic, cost of living and the wacky city government has gotten worse.
Everything from crime, economy, less gangs, less corrupt LAPD, gentrified safe areas, better DTLA are items that have improved.

I will also add, no one brought up the public health issues that have plague LA specifically downtown.... I would think this is a delta compared to 1990, maybe there were worse epidemics then?

Old 11-07-2019, 09:25 PM

I was just watching Pretty Woman. I don't think hookers actually walk the streets of Hollywood these days because they can solicit on the Interwebs. I remember my friends and I used to ask for a free sample and they'd flash us their crotch.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:26 PM

12,424 posts, read 8,214,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I was just watching Pretty Woman. I don't think hookers actually walk the streets of Hollywood these days because they can solicit on the Interwebs. I remember my friends and I used to ask for a free sample and they'd flash us their crotch.
That was largely cleaned up for the 1984 Olympics while some migrated to other streets. But the lower class of sex work remains, it just doesn't look like the flamboyant advertising dress of 70s inner city movie prostitutes and pimps.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That was largely cleaned up for the 1984 Olympics while some migrated to other streets. But the lower class of sex work remains, it just doesn't look like the flamboyant advertising dress of 70s inner city movie prostitutes and pimps.
But even circa 1990, my friends and me would go cruising and we'd see prostitutes walking the streets. And Pretty Woman was released in 1990.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM

1,222 posts, read 678,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
The Los Angeles Metro area has changed over the past 30 years. I wouldnt say good or bad in all aspects, but the metro area doesnt stay the same.

Public Transportation.
1990 has zero Metro rail miles ----- current has over 100 miles of rail with 2 heavy rail lines and 4 light rail lines.
1990 has zero Metrolink commuter rail lines ---- current has 5 routes from Downtown LA union station to all the counties.

Population Demographics and racial movement.
Significant drop in Black and less white groups
Growing hispanic and asian groups.
This is evident in the growing ethnic/racial areas like the San Gabriel valley is like on big Chinatown. Or South Central areas known for black communities are now majority latino. And latino areas are starting to become more white especially in communities along the LA River and west to Hollywood/Koreatown. Changing areas.

Population Growth.
LA City Population/LA County population 1990 --- 3.5million and 8.87 current ---- 4 million and 10.1 million
Orange County population 1990 --- 2.4 million ---- current 3.2 million
San Bernardino population 1990 ---- 1.4M ---- current 2.1M
Riverside County population 1990 --- 1.2M ---- current 2.4M
As you can see the population has been increasing in these counties with some people from LA/OC moving to SB/Riverside while others replace the growing population in LA/OC. Significant population means more cars on the roads and more traffic and congestion since 1990.

Crime.
Not sure of other cities, but LA City crime was very bad in the 1980s and 1990s. One of the top cities but now it is one of the safer big cities in America and a steady decline over time years. I think this is attributed to the changing demographics in neighborhoods. LA City was home to the poorest, least education and more likely to lead to bad crime ridden and gang infested neighborhoods, but gentrification and movement of people has dislodged many areas either making them more educated/desirable or gangs unable to get new members or members locked up and unable to keep the territory.

Other Things.
related to other things I mentioned. LA City especially was were poorest and new immigrants usually come and settle. While it happens the areas have changed because of the price of housing. More affluent types are moving into these poorer and ethnic communities making them desirable and trendy. The trend of hipness has moved east from the westside/coast into other directions especially in places like Hollywood to Koreatown, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, Downtown LA and starting to move into Historic Filipinotown Westlake, around USC, Boyle Heights, Atwater Village, Glassel Park. These new areas are becoming more dense, more walkable, friendly to public transit usage. Downtown has had a 180degree turn. It was seen as a place people left after 5pm and weekends and full of homeless everywhere, but now is the place with high end rentals/condos, top hotels, Staples Center, many museums, and many events year round while the homeless are slowly being pushed into the confines of Skid Row or elsewhere into the vast county. Downtown's plan is to increase the new population upwards of an extra 125,000 by 2040 to the current ˜80,000 people. when in 1990 I think it was below 20,000 people. So really a huge population in just a small area. Places like Westlake, Koreatown, East Hollywood, Hollywood are expected to increase population density, especially with all the dense housing currently building. So clearly there is this massive building up in a central part of the city whereas the 1990s the new population just continued sprawling into Palmdale, Santa Clarita, San Bern/Riverside, OC.

Great summary. Really shows you why traffic has increased substantially. THere's a reason the westbound 210, 10, 60, and 91 and a complete fustercluck at rush hour.

I think mentioning things like the new museums/concert halls is also important.
Getty Center - opened 1997
Walt Disney Hall - opened 2003
Petersen Automotive Museum - 2015 renovation
Broad Museum - opened 2015
California Science Center - 1998 renovation

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's what I have off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles