Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I don't get the west side appeal. It feels so spread out and so far from all things LA. I'll take the east valley communities of Studio City and Toluca Lake any day. And both communities are close to my other favorite LA City neighborhoods, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Atwater, and Griffith Park. In addition, only a short drive away is the nightlife of Hollywood, West Hollywood and DTLA. Not to mention the Hollywood Bowl, Pantages Theater, Fords Theater, the LA Zoo, etc. All close by. And you have the option of using the Metro Red line subway (NoHo Station & Universal/Studio City Station) to get to most of these places.
I hear ya. I've learned it's all about what you're into and how your life is set up. I hear your sentiment about the Valley or the Silverlake area too. In West LA you can get to DTLA, South Bay and the Valley super quick during certain times of day, the train goes to DTLA or you can drive there in 12 minutes until a certain time of day. Just depends on what you're into. Now that I live in the Valley, I feel like it's actually not a bad location as I can get to all those locations you mentioned and West LA relatively quickly, when there isn't traffic--I know that's an if but I know the times when or when not to get on the freeway. I schedule my life around that if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 02:57 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Glendale, Burbank, and Calabasas would like a word with you.
When I think of the SFV it never occurs to me that Burbank and Glendale are in the Valley, but you're absolutely right, both cities are in the SFV, as is Calabasas.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:04 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I was gonna add the celebrity aspect originally. Since moving here, I realized most celebs live here. Still, be ask me when I’m coming over to LA from the Valley LOL.
I often hear Valley residents say "I'm going over the hill" in reference to travel from the SFV to the west side, Weho, Hollywood, etc.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 PM

175 posts, read 183,299 times
if you dont live on the west side, you might as well live in Camden, NJ

this is the only area you should be looking into living:

Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post

Aha! Hello again, YoungTraveler.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:09 PM

545 posts, read 513,959 times
I think a comparison of LA to the NYC boroughs can be helpful

If the West Side is Manhattan, I would say the SFV is Brooklyn, a large residential area that is also self-sustaining and has some cool things to do but is not the West Side / Manhattan and you still get a lot of people commuting to there

South Bay = Queens

East Side = Bronx

Ventura County = Staten Island

Old 11-26-2019, 04:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:

So, Hancock Park, Los Feliz, Culver City, Venice and the Marina all suck, huh. You don't know LA very well.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 PM

351 posts, read 342,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
I think a comparison of LA to the NYC boroughs can be helpful

If the West Side is Manhattan, I would say the SFV is Brooklyn, a large residential area that is also self-sustaining and has some cool things to do but is not the West Side / Manhattan and you still get a lot of people commuting to there

South Bay = Queens

East Side = Bronx

Ventura County = Staten Island
There are plenty of things to do in Brooklyn. There is nothing to do in the valley.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 PM

175 posts, read 183,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
So, Hancock Park, Los Feliz, Culver City, Venice and the Marina all suck, huh. You don't know LA very well.
yes, all those areas are atrocious.

marina del rey is clogged with traffic.
culvery city is 1 step away from being considered south central.
hancock park has nothing but old houses.
los feliz is a terrible location.

VENICE? you mean homeless central? LOL

Last edited by TexasBound19; 11-26-2019 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-28-2019, 11:13 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
yes, all those areas are atrocious.

marina del rey is clogged with traffic.
culvery city is 1 step away from being considered south central.
hancock park has nothing but old houses.
los feliz is a terrible location.

VENICE? you mean homeless central? LOL
Despite your racial undertones you obviously either moved from LA a while ago or only visited. Culver City has been gentrified for years. Your comment shows you don’t know LA well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles