Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 PM

30 posts, read 87,266 times

Advertisements

i was assuming he was mostly concerned with the areas close to his school in which case there will be graffiti and hispanic people and fantastic places to live. we can agree to disagree.

I <3 East LA!

ah and when you get to USC also get dinner at El Cholo! best food ever!! El Cholo Mexican Restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
[quote=wvdevindavis;3541784]Hillbilly West Virginian yours truly got into USC's screenwriting masters program this fallQUOTE]

Congratulations!!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Hi,

Congratulations on being accepted at our very prestigious film school. I just graduated with my masters from USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering. I also completed my undergraduate studies at USC’s Marshall School of Business. So you can imagine, I have been here for a loooong time.

Before I began my studies at USC, I was working as a Real estate Agent in the Inland Empire. Since I did not know the downtown LA area, I began to rent. It was a horrible experience. Conquest Housing controls most of the rentals in this area. They are truly what we call the ‘nightmare’ landlord. You can read many stories about how Conquest Housing treats students in the USC's Daily paper 'The Daily Trojan'. In short, Conquest has a monopoly in this area, so they really don’t care about how they 'milk' the students by charging them ridiculous high prices (at Tuscany, most popular rental, one bedroom goes for approx 2800). When I began to rent from Conquest, they only offered me a 6 months lease, because I began renting in December. They assured me that I would be able to sign a year lease after the semester ended in May and that they would not increase my rent! They lied! As soon as my lease expired they increased my rent by $400. Well, I decided to search for a place to buy and to stop throwing my money away in paying rent.

The good news is that my efforts paid off, I was able to find a very affordable one-bedroom apartment near the campus. In this building there are 74 apartments. I think we now have 10 to 15 SC students living here. We have 2 students from the film school. Others are from various schools such as, school of music, business, etc. From here, I can walk, bike, or run to USC. I usually bike and it takes me 7 minutes to get to my classes. With the high gas prices, you may consider living very close to the campus. Right now, there is a one bedroom for sale at $196, 500.00. The building is the oldest co-operative apartment in LA. There is also financing available from a Co-op lender. They only require 5% down. Oh by the way, if you work for USC (even at 50%), you can take advantage of the USC Neighborhood Homeownership Program. “The USC Neighborhood Homeownership Program provides eligible employees with monthly payments totaling $50,000 or 20% of the home's purchase price (whichever is less) over a seven-year period.” This building is within the zone of USC neighborhood home ownership program. The ‘Zone’ that I refer to is the areas immediately around the campus. So, you or your wife may consider working for USC.

Let me know if you like me to show you this apartment. If you have any other questions regarding living in downtown LA please let me know. I have now become an expert in this area. I am fascinated with down town LA redevelopment, so I stay on top of the local housing market.

Again, Congratulations. I know you will have a blast at SC. I have spent the best years of my life on our beautiful campus. You may find it surprising as to how much support and care you'd receive from other Trojans, I did. People here are very very very nice.

Fight on.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 AM

109 posts, read 388,198 times
Congrats

Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM

109 posts, read 446,763 times
Congratulations! I will be starting at USC in the fall also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles