Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m still going with the restrictions, even if I don’t want to. Funny what you said about seeing less people with masks. I’m actually seeing the opposite in stores. I used to see many people in stores without masks or wearing them improperly. Now, it seems like everyone has one on.

I was just at Costco and everyone I saw had a mask and was wearing it right. Maybe they’re getting used to it or encouraged at the reopenings.
At least here Costco requires masks, but we were in a Sam's Club and it's just an estimate but it looked like less than half of the customers were wearing masks and several of the people working there had their masks pushed under their nose. Same thing in the local Winco - lots of people without masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:57 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At least here Costco requires masks, but we were in a Sam's Club and it's just an estimate but it looked like less than half of the customers were wearing masks and several of the people working there had their masks pushed under their nose. Same thing in the local Winco - lots of people without masks.
I forgot that the counties make their own rules. In San Diego, we’re required to wear masks if we’re out in public and within 6 feet of anyone. Every store here requires a mask to come in. I’ve seen a couple of stores deny entrance to anyone without a mask.

I was in a bakery and a man in his 70’s came in without a mask. They offered him a disposable mask so he could stay in.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:17 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The one billion dollars he gave to China to make masks for CA residents. Well where are those masks? Why would you deal with China after what happened, and how about some concern about if they would even be safe?

The one billion dollars(and that is outrageous he did that) would have come in handy now don't you think?
It looks as if California was not the only state that got screwed when trying to purchase face masks.

State officials in Mississippi paid nearly $500,000 to a company whose owner was convicted on federal fraud charges after he resold to grocery stores food that was intended for animals or meant to be destroyed.

The state of Georgia paid a company nearly $7 apiece for masks that normally cost less than half that.

Trevor Brown, a professor of public management at Ohio State University, said states and cities where coronavirus outbreaks emerged after heavyweights like California and New York had entered the market were at a distinct disadvantage. The domestic market had been picked clean. And while large states and the federal government were buying masks from China in the millions, smaller ones struggled to get sellers’ attention.

State purchasing records show that Washington, where the virus first established a deadly toehold in America, worked with sellers offering millions of N95 face masks for $3 or less.

When other states jumped into the mask market weeks later, prices had doubled.

The possibility of a second viral wave this fall has led some researchers to study ways states and cities might avoid the price gouging, fraud and failed deliveries that affected whether many Americans received adequate protection in the early days of the outbreak.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...es-got-screwed

Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Here's an update on the California mask contract:
Quote:
June 5, 2020 at 12:28 p.m. PDT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California is giving a Chinese manufacturer it contracted with for hundreds of millions of protective masks one more week to get federal certification after the company twice missed the deadline.

California signed a nearly $1 billion contract in April with BYD, a Chinese company with Los Angeles-area offices, for 200 million protective masks per month. They were set to start arriving in May. But the company has twice failed to get certification from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health for its N95 masks, the tight-fitting respirators used by health care professionals and none have been supplied to the state.

The latest deadline in the contract was May 31. If the masks weren’t certified by then, the state could have sought a refund on roughly a quarter-billion dollars it had paid up front. But state officials on Friday amended the contract to give the company until June 12, said Brian Ferguson, a spokesman for the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...792_story.html

Old 06-10-2020, 09:12 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
What are they going to do with hundreds of millions of masks? there is only 40 million in the whole state. Are they going to provide everyone with a a car full of masks. This whole thing is unbelievable overblown especially compared to previous flue's. How much did this farce cost the taxpayers? It should be all over soon. Unbelievably stupid waste of your money.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM

I actually feel bad for Newsom. He'll undoubtedly take a lot of flak about Disneyland not reopening as it was scheduled to July 17, as a result of needing to wait for updated state guidelines.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
With all the new cases, he mentions the possibility of reverting to tighter restrictions and still no mention of the protests.

That’s a failing grade in my book. He puts politics ahead of public safety. Nice job you nitwit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7new...-2020/6265068/

Old 06-26-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
With all the new cases, he mentions the possibility of reverting to tighter restrictions and still no mention of the protests.

That’s a failing grade in my book. He puts politics ahead of public safety. Nice job you nitwit.
I don't get the politics part, Mike. Protesting peacefully is a first amendment right. What could he possibly have done to stop people? (If you're talking about the riots, that's a whole different issue.)

I wasn't all that happy when Newsom ran for governor, but I still think he's doing better than most of the other state governors. Look at that poor Greg Abbott in Texas.

Last edited by CA4Now; 06-26-2020 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't get the politics part, Mike. Protesting peacefully is a first amendment right. What could he have possibly have done to stop people? (If you're talking about the riots, that's a whole different issue.)

I wasn't all that happy when Newsom ran for governor, but I still think he's doing better than most of the other state governors. Look at that poor Greg Abbott in Texas.
To me what is fascinating is that despite Newsom and Abbott having different responses to reopening, yet were in the exact same boat. Our cases are exploding here in Texas just as they are in Southern California even though the opposite was done in both place. The big question is why?

Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Restrictions on everyone but the protesters. If the danger is so bad why is there suddenly no danger when you're protesting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles