Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times

Advertisements

Sad that some on here recognize these fools as gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Maybe some of us see them as artists and human beings and feel it's polite to thank them for entertaining us?
Doesn't mean you worship the person, just recognize their accomplishment.
Not everything requires a completely visceral response.

Then again, I would never consider worshiping some overgrown pituitary case just because he makes millions playing with a ball.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
When I first moved to the Hollywood area in the early 90s, I was told by my Texan-turned-So Cal friends that it was not "polite" to chat with celebrities in public. I pretty much observed that rule for the first 7 years that I was there, and then didn't. One of the friends was related to someone in "the biz". Her grandfather and uncle were well known cinematographers back in the day. It might explain why she told me that, but I'm not sure. I miss seeing those celebrities at the most nondescript places and I'm sure that I did not recognize some of them.
How do you react when you run into a celebrity?

I don't live in Los Angeles but I live in a city where they are seen every now and then.

I don't say anything.

At church, I sit in a pew right in front of a world-famous artist. I'm not artistic, so I didn't recognize him. I asked his name (because I'd see him every week) and he told me. I Googled his name and saw that he's world-famous. He was quiet about giving his name and doesn't seem to want to talk to anyone. So I leave him alone. Even if he wanted to speak, I don't really care- we don't have much of anything in common.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Maybe some of us see them as artists and human beings and feel it's polite to thank them for entertaining us?

Then again, I would never consider worshiping some overgrown pituitary case just because he makes millions playing with a ball.
I don't give two flips about sports celebrities either.

Thank them? They should check their bank accounts, there's their "thanks" from me.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
My eyes get big but I just nod my head to say I recognize you.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
I've never heard of this rule. I saw Denise Crosby just a few months ago, and wanted to ask her if she was going to be on ST Picard, but she was busy getting signed in to vote. ST Picard sucks anyway.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:21 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
There’s only 2 famous people I’d fan girl over..... Bono and Brad Pitt. Seeing famous people is a kick and I’m real good at recognizing them but I don’t bother them

Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
As a former LEO, I've met more than my fair share of celebrities, albeit in my professional capacity. I treated them as I did everyone else. In a few instances, I had celebrities approach and thank me for my service, which I greatly appreciated, as I did everyone else.
What’s an LEO?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
As a former LEO, I've met more than my fair share of celebrities, albeit in my professional capacity. I treated them as I did everyone else. In a few instances, I had celebrities approach and thank me for my service, which I greatly appreciated, as I did everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post

Yep. I felt this way when I met Lawrence Lau of “All My children “fame (Greg in the 80s). He was very charming and I dug his Australian accent and he was extreme personable. Matthew McConnuaghey was fun to talk with at the defunct Hlwd Galaxy theater. I saw Sydney Poitier walking down Melrose while getting a haircut, but felt truly intimidated to approach a living legend like he is. My hairdresser had no such feelings and chased after him.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
What’s an LEO?
Law Enforcement Officer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles